Windy woes...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Looks like I'm gonna add another tip over. I was visiting a friend in Roy, UT earlier this week and we had taken his car to a popular Mexican restaurant. When we returned, my Goldwing was laying on its right side, trailer still attached, bike cover still intact! My first thought was vandals or bored teens practicing their cow tipping skills... We made a call to the local authorities to file an incident report since there was some minor damage (bent tip over bar and some scuff marks and paint damage on the crease of the saddlebag). When the officer arrived and started taking the report... he said he lived in the area and would be surprised if it was vandals as the neighborhood was pretty safe with very few problems. He suggested it was the wind. Of coursed I balked at the mere idea of the wind blowing over the Wing and proceeded to show him how much force it would take to force it off it's side stand. The officer then told me that just after 6 pm they had a very strong gustfront come through and blew all the trash cans and such down to the end of the streets. After which, my friend found evidence of a high wind in his back yard arrangements... Since there seemed to be no attempt to open the trailer, or molest the bike in any other way... I started to realize it could be the wind... maybe the cover on the bike assisting the wind as a sail. :wind1:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few months back we had one of those weird gusts and it broke an aluminum flag pole in half! I was shocked!

Bike
R1200rt
I was in Glacier NP on the 28th we had winds all day and reportedly gusts up to 70mph, and it felt like it!!:twist1:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear that Vinny.

Roy Utah huh? One of my sons used to live there, and moved a little farther north to Farr West.

I've seen some crazy winds blow through that area.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The wind did it..... riiiiiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.... "Honey, I'm gonna need one of those new wings, this one is not stable"

Glad you weren't on the thing... I was gassing up in NE on the way to NatSTOC and the wind was gusting so much my bike was moving up and down on the side stand like I was getting on/off of it... just takes the right angle for the wind to mess things up.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
A little "inside" story about this incident... When Steve and I returned (riding in his car)... we first pulled up to his neighbor one house down and across the street from his house. She was out in the yard preparing to pack a 5th wheel camper for an extended holiday. Well after we exchanged pleasantries and Steve introduced Windy and I, she asked "Is that your motorcycle in the driveway?" I said it was... she then said "It's laying on its side! I thought she was joking, but as it turned out... she was right! Well, after filing the report with the local police the officer had explained about the high wind episode. After the officer left, I walked back across the street to inform the neighbor that the officer said it was Windy about 6:00 pm... how he knew it was your fault, I don't know! LOL... true story! She was a good sport and just laughed out loud!

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I put my ST on the centrestand all of the time. .I'm guessing the Wing has one too? I installed a centrestand on my last F4i after it got knocked over by the wind and caused $2,000 worth of damage:( Upper Cowl cracked, right mirror broke off, right air intake cracked, right lower cowl cracked, and rear cowl cracked. . . . .never fell over after installing the centrestand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
A little "inside" story about this incident... When Steve and I returned (riding in his car)... we first pulled up to his neighbor one house down and across the street from his house. She was out in the yard preparing to pack a 5th wheel camper for an extended holiday. Well after we exchanged pleasantries and Steve introduced Windy and I, she asked "Is that your motorcycle in the driveway?" I said it was... she then said "It's laying on its side! I thought she was joking, but as it turned out... she was right! Well, after filing the report with the local police the officer had explained about the high wind episode. After the officer left, I walked back across the street to inform the neighbor that the officer said it was Windy about 6:00 pm... how he knew it was your fault, I don't know! LOL... true story! She was a good sport and just laughed out loud!
Does it count if your weren't on or around your mc?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I put my ST on the centrestand all of the time. .I'm guessing the Wing has one too? I installed a centrestand on my last F4i after it got knocked over by the wind and caused $2,000 worth of damage Upper Cowl cracked, right mirror broke off, right air intake cracked, right lower cowl cracked, and rear cowl cracked. . . . .never fell over after installing the centrestand.
What's really amazing is that it blew it over the opposite direction of the side stand.... you would think it would take more force to knock it over in the opposite direction of which it is already leaning. Wing weighs over 900 lbs. Had junk in the trunk and saddle bags... so it weighed plenty!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I put my ST on the centrestand all of the time.
Not the best choice in the wind.
Use sidestand with wind coming from the right, as Vinny found out. Did yours go over opposite the center stand as well?
As I recall, I didn't know this, or forgot about it, when on Pike's Peak. Was worried, but it didn't go over.

About the only time I use the center stand is when working on the bike, or if it's gonna sit for a few weeks in the winter.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
vinny said:
the officer said it was Windy
Who's trippin' up the bikes of the city? Everyone knows it's Windy.

Hueyf4i said:
I put my ST on the centrestand all of the time.
The bike has a wider footprint on the side stand and tires than it does than on the center stand. I'd say it's most stable on the side stand with the bike leaning in the same direction as the wind—that is with the wind blowing port to stbd.

It's probably more stable on the side stand with the wind blowing stbd to port than on the center stand. To blow a 'Wind over in that position is some strong wind. Indoors my bike is always parked on the center stand.

DeanR said:
Did yours go over opposite the center stand as well?
How does that work?

Top Bottom