Winter Battery Storage? Fact or Fallacy?

Bike
2007 ST1300
So the common recommendation is to remove the battery and store it in your basement on a trickle or smart charger. Now it's good to go in the spring.
A battery providing power is the result of a chemical reaction within the battery.
Living in Canada, I realize that the colder it gets, the less chemical reaction you have, and the less cranking power the battery provides in the winter.
And of course the old wife's tale is to store your double A's in the freezer to keep them fresh.
Why would we keep a battery in a warm place? Which means the chemical reaction continues nicely and the battery ages even though we're not using it.
Why not leave it in the bike outside? The temperature outside is -30C and the chemical reaction has all but ceased. So the battery isn't aging.
I have left a now 7 year old battery in my bike over the Canadian winters and put it on a trickle charger for a couple of days when the sun finally shines. Good to go and as I say, now 7 years old.
I am not an expert by any description, but my method seems to make more sense than the common recommendation.
Comments would really be appreciated by someone who knows better.

Last edited:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I remove the battery from the bike and put it on a low amp battery maintainer in the garage at ambient temperature. I used to put my bike battery on a trickle charger once a month to top it up (for those who don't know, winter is at least 4 months long up here in Calgary/Edmonton :)), but the new "smart" battery maintainer allows me to be lazy and just connect it and forget about it until spring.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Even in extreme cold climates (20+ days sub zero) I have always left the battery in the bike, trickle charge once a month or so as I would at any time of year during prolonged stasis (the bikes that don't get ridden daily, or have specific use). I've never heard of modern batteries splitting, I think that risk is dated. I've switched most of my recent bikes to Shorai lithium batteries - less weight, more kick, longer life (tastes great, less filling?).

Bike
Blue ST1300
I leave the battery on the bike and plug the smart charger once in a while, 3-4 times during the winter. My battery is now 4 years old with no sign of getting weak. I live in Montreal where we get quite the cold winters and the bike sleeps in a unheated garage attached to the house. The temperature in the garage gets down to -6, -8 Celcius when it's really cold outside.

Bike
Honda ST1300
The fact and myth about the batteries being stored probably comes from the charge level when it is "put" into storage.
If the battery is fully charged and nothing is draining it, even slowly, then it can be stored in below 0 temperatures. This is because the charge of the battery keeps the acid from freezing solid (more accurately the water molecules in the acid) therefore cracking the casing and when thawing occurs eating the bike. The cool temperatures will slow down the reaction in the battery.
Conversely, for storage inside a heated area it is probably best to have a lower charge level on the battery so that the reaction in it is minimized.
Both ways are okay for storing a battery, not sure which one would be best though.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When batteries were of wet flooded construction with liquid electrolyte there was a real possibility of the acid freezing and splitting the case hence we removed them and stored them where they would not freeze. The battery in the ST is absorbed glass mat construction and does not have it's acid solution sloshing around. AGM batteries are immune from freeze damage according to industry literature.

OP
OP
PackJack
Bike
2007 ST1300
Excellent Responses. Thank you all.
I agree that I haven't heard of a battery freezing and cracking in many many years.
And I still think that a battery ages because of the destructive chemical process.
So I'm thinking I'm not a crazy as I sometimes think I am?
Don't we have any chemists in this group?

By the way... Some of you fellow Canucks are liars!
- Major Tom - The winters here are far longer than 4 months.
- Alain5312 - Minus 6 or 8 Celsius is damn near a summer day in Canada.
- Red Wolf - There is no such thing as a "water molecule" in winter in Edmonton.
:p:

Last edited:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have always stored the bike with the battery in it. Charge it up every 3 - 4 weeks along with starting the bike. My first battery lasted 8 years with this routine.

OP
OP
PackJack
Bike
2007 ST1300
I have always stored the bike with the battery in it. Charge it up every 3 - 4 weeks along with starting the bike. My first battery lasted 8 years with this routine.
Speaking of chemical reactions...
I have heard soooo many times: Don't be tempted to start your bike while it's taking its winter off.
My understanding is that all the combustion by-products remain in your crank case because the engine never gets hot enough, long enough to burn them off.
Very nasty stuff that WILL damage your engine!
I know we long to hear her purr and just can't wait till spring, but I'm thinking a very bad idea.
And on a kinda side note: Your crankcase should be filled completely (to the top off the oil filler hole) when storing. The oil will eliminate any chance of air and metal interacting with standing moisture, better known as rust, occurring inside your engine.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
All my previous bikes had lead acid batteries. Every winter I removed the battery, hooked a 12 volt trouble light to it and left it until the battery was completely discharged. Then I trickled charged it for as many days as was required to bring it back to full charge based on measuring the specific gravity. This was to reset the memory that batteries can develop. Then I wrapped it up in a plastic bag and put in the freezer at 0 deg. F for the winter. I averaged 7 years battery life for all the batteries I used this method on. Since I have switched to the ST's with AGM batteries I haven't managed to keep any bike (and therefore any battery) long enough to know if this works with AGM as well.

IMO you are better to change the oil, coat the inside of the cylinders with oil (or fog the engine) and leave the bike until spring rather than starting it throughout the winter and filling the engine with condensation and the oil with acid deposits which will not burn off.

Bike
2006 ST1300
All my previous bikes had lead acid batteries. Every winter I removed the battery, hooked a 12 volt trouble light to it and left it until the battery was completely discharged. Then I trickled charged it for as many days as was required to bring it back to full charge based on measuring the specific gravity. This was to reset the memory that batteries can develop. Then I wrapped it up in a plastic bag and put in the freezer at 0 deg. F for the winter. I averaged 7 years battery life for all the batteries I used this method on. Since I have switched to the ST's with AGM batteries I haven't managed to keep any bike (and therefore any battery) long enough to know if this works with AGM as well.

IMO you are better to change the oil, coat the inside of the cylinders with oil (or fog the engine) and leave the bike until spring rather than starting it throughout the winter and filling the engine with condensation and the oil with acid deposits which will not burn off.
Correct about not starting the engine during the winter. While no severe or immediate damage would be done, it doesn't help and can cause excessive condensation buildup unless the engine can be run long enough to burn it off.

As for discharging a "starting battery" of the type our motorcycles and cars use, DON'T. They are designed to stay fully charged and have short, sudden draws on them, then charge back up. A marine or deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged & recharged over and over. If you want to take good care of your battery during the off season, attach a battery Tender and forget it. If you don't have one, disconnect one battery cable, trickle charge the battery over night, and forget it until spring. Attach the cable, start the bike, and enjoy.

And on a kinda side note: Your crankcase should be filled completely (to the top off the oil filler hole) when storing. The oil will eliminate any chance of air and metal interacting with standing moisture, better known as rust, occurring inside your engine.
Never heard this one before, and I don't see much point in it. Unless you could get the entire engine full, you wouldn't be helping much. Too many air pockets. While very long term storage (multiple years) in a very humid place could cause rust damage, there is little chance from a few month's off season storage.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
As for discharging a "starting battery" of the type our motorcycles and cars use, DON'T. They are designed to stay fully charged and have short, sudden draws on them, then charge back up
Agreed- this is not a recommended regular maintenance procedure. This is something that is intended to be done only once a year as a part of a storage procedure. This procedure actually comes from a GM service bulletin from many years ago and was in regard to lead acid batteries only.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
No lead acid battery is designed to be fulled discharged.
Flooded cell battery cases (jars) can crack in cold temperatures because the acid changes to water as the battery discharges.
That's the change in specific gravity. Water is one of the few things that expands when it freezes, that why ice floats.
The agm batteries have a glass mat saturated with acid. If the acid were to freeze the glass mat provides space for the the ice.

Deep cycle batteries have fewer and thicker plates. They stand the abuse of discharge a little better but cycling them to 50% of charge will shorten their life.
Staring batteries have thinner and more plates to provide more power for a shorter period of time. The thinner plates don't take the abuse of discharge as well.

The memory effect is a (imop over hyped) characteristic of NiCad batteries.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
STOC #
Always changed the oils and filter, put in some fuel conditioner, plugged in the Battery Tender and left it alone for the winter in an unheated shed. I'm still on the original battery on my '03. The original battery on my last car lasted 14 years too even with the Alberta winters. I don't drain them unnecessarily by leaving lights, fans or other electrics on with the engine not running. As a former fleet mechanic, I found nothing kills a battery quicker than 'abuse'. The battery is meant to start the vehicle only, everything else is supposed to run off the alternator.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Self discharge and/or parasitic draw are problems when a battery is stored because cycling a battery is not ideal and leaving a battery in a partially discharged condition leads to chrystalization which "locks up" areas of the battery plates, making them inactive. Chemical activity within the battery will gradually allow the battery to conduct electricity within its own structures allowing it to "run down" over time. The rate of chemical activity is tied to temperature so a warmer battery will self discharge at a greater rate than that it will when colder. This is why storing a battery under cooler conditions reduces self discharge allowing the battery to maintain charge over a longer period and so avoid sulphation and other similar conditions.

I know of several individuals who used to charge, plastic wrap and store recreational equipment batteries in the freezer. In the fall, the motorcycle, quad and water sports batteries would go into the freezer, replacing the snow machine and ATV batteries. Others used various techniques in order to maintain batteries by periodic charging, or very low charging rates. In the days of modern "intellegent" battery chargers, one can simply clip a smart charger to a battery and forget. In the old days, even a tiny "trickle" charger would often destroy a small sized battery over the course of a winter.

There is some confusion regarding the effects of freezing of electrolyte in a lead acid battery. The liquid electrolyte is generally of too high a sulfuric acid concentration to allow freezing (changing from liquid to solid phase). Even were one to "freeze" a battery containing pure sufuric acid, the effect would not likely damage the battery since water is the only substance which expands when changing from liquid to solid. It is the expansion of the water within the fixed volume of the battery case or within the porous structure of the battery plates which breaks these structures.

A fully charged lead-acid battery will not freeze at any temperature encountered in this planet. A dead battery will freeze near to the freezing point of water because the electrolyte of a dead battery is very, very close to pure water. There will be some mineral salts, etc. so drinking dead electrolye would be a hugely bad decision.

When storing a battery, leaving in or taking out is a matter of management convenience. I do recommend disconnecting the battery ground cable to avoid the possibility of parasitic draw (small current discharge through components such as the VRR, and to guard against the extremely remote possiblity that some component may close circuit. It is typical for some electronics such as MOSFETs to fail in closed circuit, which is to say that they turn on. No use risking a fire if one can simply disconnect the battery. Rodents will sometimes feast on insulation causing a short between bared wires or of a bared wire to ground. No use risking, IMO.

OK, so now someone will ask why I think that rodents will chew wires but I can counter that with the authority of my chief consultant, Rupert the Netherland Dwarf rabbit. He assures me that this is a compulsion which is irresistable to some of his cousins. Network cables can require shortening, in order to improve signal transmission, for example. There is a professional disagreement between Rupert and our systems engineering student son so the jury may be out in this regards.....

Some of the most remarkable innovations around were applied to managing periodic trickle charging but the most elegant one I can recall was that of a Gold Wing acquaintence who connected his tiny maintainer charger (before smart chargers) to the light socket of his power garage door opener. The charger would run for about 10 minutes, twice per day. Cool!

One can purchase some very nice smart chargers but I urge that anyone using any charger do so in combination with a volt meter. If one sees higher than ordinary motorcycle charging voltage (about 14.6 volts) across the battery while maintaining (or even during charging unless one is using advanced charge management) one runs the risk of cooking the battery.

Being almost the definition of lazy, I connect a two wire flat (trailer light) connector to any motorcycle which we acquire. This allows the battery to be charged in order to maintain as well as allowing power connection for other temporary purposes.

Of, almost forgot: one cannot charge a very cold battery. We saw this when I was working and teaching in the north and ran a number of experiments in order to attempt to discover means to improve charging of cold batteries. Nope! Can't do it! ESB ran extensive research on behalf of the US military to try to develop methods with no success. One needs warm a battery to effect charging.

We used to find recharging issues with vehicles used under very cold conditions such as minus 60 F (minus 50 C) and below. The battery might start the engine (assuming the engine had heating, etc.) but the battery was drawn down to some degree from starting. Operating the vehicle for even 5 or 6 hours was not sufficient to recharge the battery at this temperatures. This is why anyone using a vehicle in a cold environment is well advised to use a battery blanket (heating blanket wrapped around the battery) or a battery heating plate (placed under the battery).

No idea of any of this is useful to someone but can provide more if interested...

HIH

Norm

Bike
Honda ST1300
Excellent Responses. Thank you all.

By the way... Some of you fellow Canucks are liars!
- Major Tom - The winters here are far longer than 4 months.
- Alain5312 - Minus 6 or 8 Celsius is damn near a summer day in Canada.
- Red Wolf - There is no such thing as a "water molecule" in winter in Edmonton.
:p:
The water molecules are just in solid form instead of liquid...makes for a great sport, hockey :D

OP
OP
PackJack
Bike
2007 ST1300
OK. So I chatted with my mechanic the other day. He provided a very good answer.
The chemical reaction that creates power does slow down as the temperature falls.
But leaving a battery uncharged causes another chemical reaction: sulfication or sulfation or sulphication (???).
I stole the below from another website.
His recommendation was store your battery where you like, but "exercise" it once in a while.
He approved the method of leaving it in the bike in the cold weather and throwing a smart charger on it every month or two when the weather was good.

"What is sulfation? During use, small sulfate crystals form, but these are normal and are not harmful. During prolonged charge deprivation, however, the amorphous lead sulfate converts to a stable crystalline that deposits on the negative plates. This leads to the development of large crystals, which reduce the battery’s active material that is responsible for high capacity and low resistance. Sulfation also lowers charge acceptance. Sulfation charging will take longer because of elevated internal resistance. There are two types of sulfation: reversible (or soft sulfation), and permanent (or hard sulfation). If a battery is serviced early, reversible sulfation can often be corrected by applying an overcharge to a fully charged battery in the form of a regulated current of about 200mA. The battery terminal voltage is allowed to rise to between 2.50 and 2.66V/cell (15 and 16V on a 12V mono block) for about 24 hours. Increasing the battery temperature to 50–60?C (122–140?F) further helps in dissolving the crystals. Permanent sulfation sets in when the battery has been in a low state-of-charge for weeks or months. At this stage, no form of restoration is possible."

Top Bottom