Winterizing question?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have very winterized my bikes for 25 years by changing the oil, filling the tank with non-ethanol gas and putting fuel stabilizer in, running it for a few kms and then putting it in the garage and connecting a battery tender. Never had an issue come spring.

Now, we have no more non-ethanol gas in Alberta.

I was in Montana this week and filled up with non-ethanol gas before riding home. The tank is now at 2 bars, so say 2 gallons all in the lower tank.

So here is my question: If I am not going to be riding it again until spring, am I better to put a bit of stabilizer in and leave it as is with 2 gallons in the lower tank, or should I fill it up with crap 10% ethanol gas and of course put stabilizer in it?

Bike
2010 ST1300
You will get a variety of opinions. I've always read to fill it up to prevent condensation in the airspace above the gas. I've done exactly that with gasahol 10% + stabil. Have had no problems doing that with my lawn tractor (5 gal tank) small toro mower (less than a gallon), ST1300, Moto Guzzi, and an old Honda Accord that we do not drive in the winter. Come spring, the machines are fully fueled and ready to go.

If it is cold and dry enough in Alberta, I'd guess condensation would be minimal, but water in a gas tank is not good (neither is alcohol).

For the diehards, you can buy kits and there are instructional videos on youtube how to render the alcohol/water out of your gas. IMHO, it's not worth the effort.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Buy the Stabil for fuel with alcohol.
I’ve done this when my bikes (the 94 back in the day was a vacation bike in SC but would sit for several months in the winter and the 2000 was the NJ bike that was generally off the road from Nov-March or so)- Stabil in the tank first and a full tank of 10% ETOH fuel and never had an issue. What I would do is add Stabil, then fill, then go home (few miles) to let the mix run through the carbs (and never drained them)- never had a start issue next spring. Plus, keep it on a Battery Tender. It’s rare for the bikes to sit too long these days as I cycle them regularly and in general, use non ETOH fuel (Marathon stations have it down here). I’ve always kept then full for storage purposes to avoid condensation in the tank and to avoid rust formation.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Our winters are frequently in name only here so long term bike storage is usually a week or two. Other side of that is they are usually our humid time of the year, and our neighborhood is located adjacent to an abandoned city park with a rather large creek. We get the impact of that at home, including an occasional foggy morning and temperatures usually a bit lower than the rest of the neighborhood. Long story short....moisture can be a problem.
I've been using Seafoam in my bikes for years and have had no issues with rust or deposits in the fuel systems. Would suggest it for those of you also living in marginal weather.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'd fill it up with gasoline and not worry about alcohol or non alcohol fuel. That's what I do then fill her up with Stabil.

Top Bottom