Wiring For Heated Accessories

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
When I get home from work, I can show you precisely where I have my ST plug in. I had the coax wire free but it was a pain to plug in the gear to the plug from the bike when seated on it. This way, it’s an easy plug right into the bike.

Edit: just found it

I have the coax running to the battery via a fused link. I guess the only downside is the strap around the left leg as the controller (TourMaster), but it works well for me. One hole to drill in the bike and the wiring is all well concealed. I also have also taped the 2 coax ends together so they don’t separate under the left fairing panel. A variable amounted controller would be great if I could figure out how to do that, but in truth, in SC, the cold weather gear is mostly just for a few rides in the colder season (maybe 10 uses per winter season).

Last edited:
Reactions: jrp
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
When I get home from work, I can show you precisely where I have my ST plug in. I had the coax wire free but it was a pain to plug in the gear to the plug from the bike when seated on it. This way, it’s an easy plug right into the bike.

Edit: just found it

I have the coax running to the battery via a fused link. I guess the only downside is the strap around the left leg as the controller (TourMaster), but it works well for me. One hole to drill in the bike and the wiring is all well concealed. I also have also taped the 2 coax ends together so they don’t separate under the left fairing panel. A variable amounted controller would be great if I could figure out how to do that, but in truth, in SC, the cold weather gear is mostly just for a few rides in the colder season (maybe 10 uses per winter season).
Thanks. It looks good. Where did you get the bulkhead coax connector?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The only issue with hard mounting the female connector is if you forget to disconnect (and you will), it won't just naturally disconnect because of the wire angle. I have mine dangling out from the front left of my seat, so no matter how I dismount and move, it will adjust and always disconnect without damage. WnS has a bulkhead connector. I actually bought one, but decided not to mount it for the reasons I mentioned. FWIW, I've been running heated gear for about 6 seasons, and use it almost daily from Nov-Mar. It's really a game changer IMO.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I understand the reasoning with not running the wire out from between the seat and bodywork, it could get pinched, crushed, etc. On my bike however the wire is able to smoothly slide in the location I use. It isn't pinched, etc. I wouldn't do it if it was. As paulcb has pointed out, and I have proven too many times, forget to unplug and it simply pulls apart as you dismount. A fixed hard point won't do that at oblique angles. But to each their own. I feel I can mitigate any risk of wire damage with careful routing and inspection. It's what works for me, do what works for y'all and get out there and enjoy the ride.
RT

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I've been running the Warm and Safe liner and gloves for more than 8 years without issue. Last year I upgraded to Generation 4 waterproof liner. I have a dual portable controller, running the power wire direct from battery with fused link and out the left side between shelter and seat, easy to tuck wire in when not in use. You will forget that you are plugged and it will come off easily. I hang the controller on the jacket belt on the left side. I just adjust by feel as I am riding, front knob for gloves and rear one for liner. I thought about the wireless way to go, but I don't want to worry about batteries or someone lifting it off the bike if I forget to take it in with me. Many cold morning that become warm afternoons, it is easier to unzip and put in the sidebag, than having to take off a heated shirt, I would think, and also if it becomes a cold evening you can just put the liner back on. The liner has wires that are hidden in zippers to connect to heated gloves.

Raouf

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The only issue with hard mounting the female connector is if you forget to disconnect (and you will), it won't just naturally disconnect because of the wire angle.
I have my coax fitting hangin loose brah from the bike and I don't like it. It's a pain to connect when enroute if I forget to plug in before getting under way. I think it far more likely then forgetting to unplug from a port on the faring that's right at hand.

I've got one of these:

It's a larger footprint than ErDoc's install but it's still very tidy. Putting a 90º male-to-female coax adapter on the end of the jacket cord would allow for a safe release should I not learn from the first time I forget to pull the plug.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yep, that's the same panel connector I linked to in my earlier post, but didn't use. Agreed, the floating connector is a pain to connect while riding, but my experience is I forget to disconnect far more than I forget to connect, thus I prefer floating vs fixed. We need a magnetic connection like those on some Apple laptops.

Top Bottom