Wiring harness ST1300 A08 cut open

Bike
ST1300A8
I have removed the protective cover from the wiring harness of an ST1300, model 2008 with ABS. This reveals a few things under the black protective cover.

holm from germany

It goes on.

Attachments

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks @wizel

That is really useful.

The multiway connectors are the power lead multiway connectors connecting all Black/White leads together - Yellow 14P connector
and the earth multiway connector green and green/colour strip leads connecting many earth leads together - Pink 20P connector

They connect groups of wires together, rather than connecting one wire to another wire with male and female connector halves.

I wondered where they were located. I hadn't gone on a serious hunt, but have never come across them.
They do not appear in the official Honda diagram that I have (2004)

But they do appear in the diagram that @SpikingJC posted many moons ago.

1704128241680.png

Post #3 - After 07 Deluxe.

Article [13] - ST1300 - Wiring Schematics for 03-07 Standard | ST1300 Articles | ST-Owners.com

The other spliced connectors seem to be typical of Honda wiring. I bought an old ST1100 harness years back for some bits and pieces. It had many such joints with a stripped main wire and a spliced joining wire - just crimped, bare metal and taped. It's good to see that it has not suffered any corrosion after all that time.

I started to use the same technique for my own harness. One massive cable to the battery and then splice in some smaller capacity cables to feed fuses. Except I solder, grease, double heatshrink insulation, taped single wires and taped mulitiple strands, offset joints. People frown on soldered joints, but I cannot find crimping joints like those. Hence the solder and grease.

Last edited:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
The knock sensor wiring is shielded with wire braid. It splits at the sensor connector because it cant be terminated on the same pin as the signal wire. What you see at the ecu end of the harness is the shield connection to ground, not the signal wire being grounded.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The knock sensor wiring is shielded with wire braid. It splits at the sensor connector because it cant be terminated on the same pin as the signal wire. What you see at the ecu end of the harness is the shield connection to ground, not the signal wire being grounded.
Ah I just moved it to ECM Hope - then saw your reply, so deleted it. That makes sense - so (S) on the diagram is 'shield' - not 'Short' !!
Thanks.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I have removed the protective cover from the wiring harness of an ST1300, model 2008 with ABS. This reveals a few things under the black protective cover.

holm from germany

It goes on.
The "protective cover" over the wiring harness is mostly just black electrical tape, isn't it?

Bike
R1200rt
Thanks @wizel

That is really useful.

The multiway connectors are the power lead multiway connectors connecting all Black/White leads together - Yellow 14P connector
and the earth multiway connector green and green/colour strip leads connecting many earth leads together - Pink 20P connector

They connect all of the wires together, rather than connecting one wire to another wire with male and female connector halves.

I wondered where they were located. I hadn't gone on a serious hunt, but have never come across them.
They do not appear in the official Honda diagram that I have (2004)

But they do appear in the diagram that @SpikingJC posted many moons ago.

1704128241680.png

Post #3 - After 07 Deluxe.

Article [13] - ST1300 - Wiring Schematics for 03-07 Standard | ST1300 Articles | ST-Owners.com

People frown on soldered joints, but I cannot find crimping joints like those. Hence the solder and grease.
non-insulated butt connectors 1704223364871.png

Top Bottom