Wiring plug needed for st1300

Bike
ST1300
I have a 2006 st1300 and need a 4 way plug for my trailer i pull.Where is the best place to get?Thanks

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Any discount auto parts store will have the plug. Hoppy is one of the most common.
BY ALL MEANS use a circuit isolator. I didn't see a universal kit at the link above but they do likely have one. I would also check out www.electricalconnection.com. They have universal trailer wiring isolation kits made for motorcycle. Never connect accessories to be powered directly from the factory wiring since the factory sizes the wires just for what they install. I only use factory wires to get a signal from to trigger a relay (included in the isolation kits) to turn on/off accessories. Power comes directly from the battery through an in-line fuse. This is how the isolator works. It will protect your bike electrical from any damage if there is a fault in the added stuff. I discovered as a side benefit when wiring all my add-on stuff this way all my lights stay brighter rather than become a bit dim, as can happen when you use the factory wires for power.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I do not know where i need to wire up my plug in.
You'll need a universal isolator harness - the electrical connection link above is a good place to start.

That will come with instructions on which wires on the harness will need to be connected to your battery, left/right turn signals, running/brake lights. There's an option for 4 or 5 pin plugs.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

Your question is a bit broad, does that help?

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have a 2006 st1300 and need a 4 way plug for my trailer i pull.Where is the best place to gey?Thanks
Most motorcycle trailers require at least a 5 pin plug unless you install a brake run adaptor. L turn R turn Brake,running, ground. I use a simple 5 pin flat trailer plug.

1+ on the isolator, I also installed a fuse relay triggered by bike power so it is only on when the bike is on.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300
What i do not know is what wires i tie on to on my ST1300.I have a 4 prong plug type on my trailer.Thanks

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here is the page to go to at EC - Trailer wiring

You need p/n 07660 - this is the basic power isolation module. This comes as a 5 pin output as most mc trailers are that way.
You will also need p/n 07663 - the universal wire harness. This is the part that ties into your bike light wires. Should have instructions that go along with the diagram Mellow provided.
You will also need p/n 07664 - to convert the 5 pin out to a 4 pin out for this iso module.
:rd13ug:

Edit: :plus1: on the relay to trigger the unit on only when the bike is on. This relay would connect as follows:
Run a wire from the + side of the battery to pin 30 on the relay. In-line fuse should be on this wire as close to the battery as practical. Isolator wire for + side of battery should be connected to pin 87 of relay (instead of directly to the battery). Run another pair of wires from each of the factory Aux connectors to pin 85 and 86 on the relay (doesn't matter which one goes to which pin just so there is one to one pin and the other to the other pin). Does the ST1300 have factory Aux connectors? I don't know for sure since I don't have one. My ST1100 does. Oh, that should complete the relay install and then there will be power to the trailer isolator module only when the bike is running. The ground wire from the trailer isolator is connected to the neg battery terminal.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
What i do not know is what wires i tie on to on my ST1300.
There is a pretty good color wiring schematic in the Articles section, that may aid you in determining which wires connect to the tail, brake, and turn signal bulbs.

Some time ago I was puzzling out exactly what and how a set of isolation relays worked, this sketch might be of some assistance to you as you proceed with your trailer plug wiring project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom