Won't Be Riding in 2021

Things are very different in Canada, it would seem.

I have a commercial license. If I had a ticket for 15 over, it would be classified as "reckless driving". That is considered one of the highest risk categories in the "CSA" system (essentially a risk assessment tool used by the USDOT). My ticket would cost 4 times more than the average motorist, AND my employer (if I were working for a motor carrier) would pay an additional fine of 4X more than I paid. So a single 15-over ticket leads to well over $2000 just in ticket fees.

I have a LEO friend who said that is why he would never ticket a CDL driver for a common traffic infraction unless he was a major league jerk.

I don't know how you Canadians do it. Those numbers are patently absurd. My ST added $85 to my auto policy, basic liability. Yeah, that ain't a typo, and yeah, that's for a year! And you can be sure that my insurance company is making a profit at what they are charging. You're getting raped.

RT

I don't know how you Canadians do it. Those numbers are patently absurd. My ST added $85 to my auto policy, basic liability. Yeah, that ain't a typo, and yeah, that's for a year! And you can be sure that my insurance company is making a profit at what they are charging. You're getting raped.

RT
No, auto insurance in Canada versus the US is a completely different product. Not only are coverages different but payouts are much higher in Canada as well.

SC rules seem to be very aggressive and/or punitive, are they the norm in the US or is SC an outlier on this?

Federal regulations. Anything reported on the "Aspen" form. The only way out is if you're dealing with some local constabulary who doesn't know the right form to fill out.

I'm done!

I have yet to decide whether I will hold onto my ST until I get a reasonable quote, or just sell it.

Sorry Malks. 15kph over might get you run over on some roads - & it might be an OPP passing you - definitely on the 400 series roads.

I'd also encourage you to hang on. There's merit in having a continuous record of insurance. Shop it.

And ignore the kick-a-guy-when-he's-down comments. There are ignorant screeching Karens everywhere.

RT

That was my thought too. I had the same insurance company (Rider Ins. Co.) since I was 17. Started out much less than $100 and the last year I had them It was about $600 for full coverage. I considered that pretty reasonable until...

I joined AARP last year and switched to their insurance company (Foremost Ins.) and now I pay less than $300 for 2 motorcycles and full coverage for both. Reasonable? Heck, cheap.

Question? What is the rule for allowing someone else to use your vehicles and they have an accident? Does your insurance cover them and auto or do they have to have their own insurance and you as an owner are responsible for verifying that they do? Depending on the answers here,, I see a loop hole that may prevail in your favor?

Question? What is the rule for allowing someone else to use your vehicles and they have an accident? Does your insurance cover them and auto or do they have to have their own insurance and you as an owner are responsible for verifying that they do? Depending on the answers here,, I see a loop hole that may prevail in your favor?
My insurance covers anyone over 25 that is legally able to drive, drive my vehicles

Here is depends. If they are a licensed driver in my household and they don't own an insured vehicle of their own I have to have them insured on the most expensive car, or they and I sign a waiver saying they are not permitted to drive the car.

I can't recall how it works for other licensed drivers if they were in my vehicle. Usually in an accident my insurance company pays for my stuff, the other persons pays for theirs, and then they subrogate it back to whomever and jack the "at fault" person's rates up in some manner.

My insurance covers anyone over 25 that is legally able to drive, drive my vehicles
In effect, when we (in Ontario) loan someone our vehicle, we're also loaning them our insurance. In a case of liability, the policy holder is liable. However, I believe he could sue the driver also, depending on circumstances.

another problem in Ontario is to get best rate, you have to be continuously insured.
doesn't matter if different companies.

once you drop insurance coverage for more than 30 days, they treat you like a new rider
as much as I hate getting gouged, I have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in my fleet. the only other living creature in my household is my dog and he doesn’t drive, just likes to be passenger.
I still get gonged, claims free, can only drive 1 vehicle at a time.
bought a 2016 Africa Twin last summer, insurance company said ‘thanks, $1200 for basic liability’
got a 2019 Chev Bolt EV, full coverage, $800

go figure.....

I have been driving for 56 years and have had zero chargeable accidents yet my rate goes up every year and I seldom get a ticket.I play the insurance switch game every few years to bring it down, but after a couple of years, up it goes again. So, basically I’m paying for all the crapola drivers out there. I guess I’ll go hit someone to make up some money.

Greg

I have been driving for 56 years and have had zero chargeable accidents yet my rate goes up every year and I seldom get a ticket.
Do you have comprehensive coverage, i.e. fire and theft...maybe collision? What limits on the deductible? One (of many) reason why rates go up is increasing cost to repair damaged vehicles, and if you don't talk to the company, I'd guess they consider your 25yr old bike at 'new' prices forever. (I know your bike is only 6 yrs old.)

For Canadians, can you remove some coverages or up the deductible? The most expensive coverage I can have on my policy (for an old bike) is uninsured motorist, so I carry liablity only. Collision, fire and theft? No thanks, I self insure.

another problem in Ontario is to get best rate, you have to be continuously insured.
doesn't matter if different companies.

once you drop insurance coverage for more than 30 days, they treat you like a new rider
as much as I hate getting gouged, I have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in my fleet. the only other living creature in my household is my dog and he doesn’t drive, just likes to be passenger.
I still get gonged, claims free, can only drive 1 vehicle at a time.
bought a 2016 Africa Twin last summer, insurance company said ‘thanks, $1200 for basic liability’
got a 2019 Chev Bolt EV, full coverage, $800

go figure.....
You should shop around. I pay $900 with full coverage on my 2020 Africa Twin AS with TD.

No, auto insurance in Canada versus the US is a completely different product. Not only are coverages different but payouts are much higher in Canada as well.

OK, I'll bite. For curiosity same would you provide what the coverages are? What are you required to have?

RT

I have been driving for 56 years and have had zero chargeable accidents yet my rate goes up every year and I seldom get a ticket.I play the insurance switch game every few years to bring it down, but after a couple of years, up it goes again. So, basically I’m paying for all the crapola drivers out there. I guess I’ll go hit someone to make up some money.

Greg

Seldom? How often? I think here in Jersey ticket surcharges on your insurance stay for 3 years I think.

And I've never understood why your credit score should come into play when determining your rate. Would you rather insure a horrible driver or one who pays their bills on time?

Back
Top Bottom