2024 WoodSToc 2 - Aug 15-18, 2024 - Mazerolle Settlement, NB

This thread has been sticked forever.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If I can add in my 2 cents for next year perhaps a hotel a little closer to some food places within walking distance.

I know I'd pay the extra for the convenience of a decent complimentary breakfast, a decent hotel and within walking distance of a few restaurants and pub (fast food and sit down) for folks who want to get together in the evening after a ride to chillax.

I'm thinking the Best Western Plus. I wasn't real impressed by HoJo's for my monetary ROI.
It's also a lot closer to Connell Park so @Happy Rob can get a few extra minutes sleep for those 8am start times. :tent3::bl13:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm not knocking all the time, effort and thought you put into planning the event, or the facility you chose - I appreciate all the work you did for the inaugural event!!!

1693482412916.jpeg

My HoJo's room was a rough ticket (in my books) for the rate I paid. 70's decore, smoke detector in the dresser with the battery removed, lights not working, clock radio not working, click flooring with waves in it and with massive gaps on the walls, inch gaps inbetween bathroom wall outlet/switch covers filled with silicone, broken toilet parts, electrical wire not in conduit, door not closing all the way in order to engage deadbolt, bathroom moldings held in place with a rows of roofing nails, a bed that litterally sounded like a car crash when you got into it and felt like you were in a car crash the next morning.... overall fit and finish may have been done by a visually impaired one armed handyman with rusty hand tools.

There also wasn't anything nearby if you wanted to go eat without getting geared back up and riding, even if it was only 5 mins or so.

I know you had absolutely nothing to do with any of this and this isn't meant to be a rant. It's about letting future WoodSTocer's make informed choices.

As well when I looked online with my Wyndham account after I'd called and booked at the group rate, I could have got it $5 cheaper per night off the top plus accrued more stay points.
I've got memberships at most hotel chains which often allows either upgrades, discounts, use of points/perks or just to accrue points for future stays.

I'm aware many attendees coming are on multi day trips and on a budget. I too am not made of money and enjoyed the same costs as most once I got there. I just had a shorter trip than most to get there and back home to help lower my costs.

If HoJo's is the spot you arrange for next year and folks want to stay there for the group rate that's perfectly fine. Maybe I just got a dud of a room, however based on my experience I won't be staying at the HoJo's there again and just wanted to let folks know of the facilities shortcomings I experienced so they can make informed choices too. I'm frugal/cheap too, but realize the cost if I want a decent hotel experience. Sometimes it's not all about money. I'd pay the extra $75/night.

There's more to a SToc in my books than just riding.

Hopefully @Whisker Bill, @Uncle Phil & @Willsmotorcycle had better room experiences than I did.

Respectfully silly,

Obo.

PS: Picture of the heat controller in my room :)

IMG_4937.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
catcher

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Wow, sorry to hear you apparently got a dud of a room! I do realize and appreciate that you're commenting, as opposed to complaining. I had looked at a couple of the rooms beforehand, thought they looked OK, and went with it. What you're describing won't do. I'll wait for a report from the others.
I'm glad there's lots of room for improvement - there is a plan "B"...
As I see it, the biggest downside of the Ho-Jo's was the lack of a place to build a fire and congregate. Being able to walk to Timmie's or A&W isn't part of the plan! Don't you worry, there'll be food...

Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My HoJo's room was a rough ticket (in my books) for the rate I paid.
Everything that you have reported about your room here you should report to both that Motel as well as Howard Johnson/Wyndham corporate. An employee once told me that the days of inspectors going around checking on every franchise are all but gone. The big ticket first tier properties get all of the attention and corporate doesn't always know the state of the lower tier properties once they have passed their inspection to get the go ahead to operate under the corporate flag. If they are advised, then they are more likely to initiate a compliance inspection as he called it. You stand a good chance of getting a credit for a free or reduced future stay to boot.

I had been thinking of attending this event, and came close to doing so. It is to bad that I couldn't because I would have gone all around the Gaspe peninsula to get there, a ride that I enjoy quite a bit. In the end a previously known issue that had never caused a problem suddenly started bothering me and I couldn't get my helmet on without pain let alone actually ride for hours on end. I have since had surgery to take care of it and I am on the mend. I still can't wear my helmet, which is disappointing because we are coming in to a stretch of really nice weather that will be longer than any we have had all summer. It has been a non-summer here. I don't think that we have had more than two days in a row without rain all summer this year.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If Obo got a 'dud', then there must have been 2 duds as I was 'underwhelmed' also for the price.
Not to mention the owner fussed that I had not pulled my ST1100 far enough into the parking space to suit him.
I was dead center in all directions of the yellow lines - so I did not understand his issue.
And their 'breakfast' would be okay if you like stale bagels ... ;)

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
So Obo it was more or less a positive experience?
Leaving the hotel out of it....

It's still hard to judge as I've got no other STOC experiences to compare it too. Judging it wouldn't quite seem fair.

That being said there were things I liked and disliked.

I wanted to meet some members in person and while not as many as I'd liked, it was more than I expected with a couple of months planning notice. Quality over quantity you'd say, so it was a success for me on that front. It also worked into my schedule as I was able to get one day off work to attend. I'd never have gotten two days or more. Distance was my friend here. It did end up conflicting with getting my daughter to university but I'd committed to WoodSToc so we (my family) made it work. They went to Univ and I went to WoodSToc.

The riding, stops & weather were enjoyable the 2nd day but the ride was rough for me the first day. Could partially have been the new suspension and only having 50km on it before I headed out, but the roads while scenic were not as enjoyable as day 2. I'd say that the riding was about 60% overall positive as I had good driving to and from the event, as well as day 2. It can't all be smiles and sunshine as we all know.

So overall it was more positive.

The million dollar question of would I do it again? Well, that's undecided.

I can ride most of these roads if I wanted with few hours drive to the area, or ride to similar areas of New Brunswick within a similar time scope. It then becomes a cost / reward scenario for me, with more weight on the "experience" things more than than just riding. Meeting folks, having things to do both during the ride to break up the day as well as to do in the evenings is what I imagine a STOC to be. I can ride these places on my own quite happily from home, sleep in my own comfy bed and not accrue many of the costs. If I'm paying money, I want something out of it, some ROI (return on investment), something tangible and different. Being closer to home makes that even more so vs vacationing some distance away. We did have 2 group type events (a dinner & dinner/get together (rain prevented a fire)) but there was some "awkward" dead time for lack of a better descriptor that I'd rather of did something as a group. For me I imagine a STOC to be about the "owners" getting together and not just about riding in a group.

Again, Kudos to Catcher for getting it all up and going in the short time frame. It's not a task I'd have wanted to undertake.

I hope this doesn't come across as complaining (It's not meant to be) & this is just MY perspective - realizing it's just a matter of it not fully meeting what MY exceptions/hopes/likes were going in. It's like any experience in this way. Two folks can have differing experiences of the exact same event. There is no right or wrong or perfect here.

I'll wait to see what Catcher has up his sleeves for next year as well my other factors & obligations at that time before I decide what I'll be doing. It's still a long ways off and I still have @Uncle Phil's reciprocal invitation to the BRG to see if I can fit in sometime!! We have the dates though, so there's a plan in motion for 2024. :)

And for anyone who's still wanting to make it down for WoodSToc, my advice is if you want to do it, do it. Life's too short for "what ifs."

Obo.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
For me I imagine a STOC to be about the "owners" getting together and not just about riding in a group.
Things more than just riding. Meeting folks, having things to do both during the ride to break up the day as well as to do in the evenings is what I imagine a STOC to be.
Yep, like OH-STOC, BRG, and usually OnSTOC just to name a few.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I wonder how happy Happy Rob was with his accommodations? I think he had just purchased the trailer or at least it was his first real trip with the trailer.

I am going to onSToc next week and be sleeping at a nearby campground with three or four other riders. Last time I went to that campground we had a first class breakfast chef, the chamber maid service was a bit of a letdown though. Other than the pit toilets I really enjoyed the camping experience.

OP
OP
catcher

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Thanks to all who commented. My own perspective is that yes, this years event was indeed a success.
I've been to OnSToc since it's inception, and to Ohstoc several times. The best events, from what I've seen, have been ones where, a) people can readily hang out together in the evening near the sleeping facilities, b) hanging out means sitting around a fire in the evening, with snacks at your fingertips, enjoying your beverage of choice knowing that its just a short walk to your soft bed. c) there's a group breakfast on site, including that critical coffee.
Group rides with stops at places of interest, make for good memories. I personally probably should consider a stronger return spring on my throttle. Did somebody say its not a race?
So yes, I do have ideas, particularly around the accommodation concept. Will need to check with my bosses, though. (wife and daughter)
This time, time is on our side...

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
@Obo, It was not a 3 star, you and @Uncle Phil hit the highlights, I am just grateful UP let me sofa it. I for one am all about the ride, sleeping, eating, it's needed. I have not been to many events, can still appreciate the comradery, and the breakfast banter I have been involved in was enjoyable. A good long ride, a dinner, witty banter, sleep, repeat.

Oddly Jack, I camp mostly for the reasons you mentioned about the HOJOs, I know what I'm walking into every night. The only time I had wished to be indoors was in Big Bend TX. I was watching for rattlers and my wife said "No, you have to watch for scorpions". I was not thrilled for the next 10 hours, thanks Love. I went North this year. lol

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I ran Onstoc for several years, taking over from George when he was looking for a break.

My unsolicited, sage advice ....

Choosing the right event facility is absolutely the most important thing, but the hardest thing to get right. It can take a lot of leg-work, - phone calls, driving and visits to find the right place. But when you get it right, everything falls into place and people want to return. We had 60++ people at several Onstocs after we got the formula right. The event got popular! BUT, get it wrong and attendance falls off. Onstoc had those years.

You have to 1) know your crowd, 2) choose the event location and ammenities accordingly, and then 3) message effectively.

@Obo as the chief marketer, if you want my 2 cents worth, feel free to message me. @catcher you too of course. Happy to help if I can

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Everything that you have reported about your room here you should report to both that Motel as well as Howard Johnson/Wyndham corporate. An employee once told me that the days of inspectors going around checking on every franchise are all but gone. The big ticket first tier properties get all of the attention and corporate doesn't always know the state of the lower tier properties once they have passed their inspection to get the go ahead to operate under the corporate flag. If they are advised, then they are more likely to initiate a compliance inspection as he called it. You stand a good chance of getting a credit for a free or reduced future stay to boot.

I had been thinking of attending this event, and came close to doing so. It is to bad that I couldn't because I would have gone all around the Gaspe peninsula to get there, a ride that I enjoy quite a bit. In the end a previously known issue that had never caused a problem suddenly started bothering me and I couldn't get my helmet on without pain let alone actually ride for hours on end. I have since had surgery to take care of it and I am on the mend. I still can't wear my helmet, which is disappointing because we are coming in to a stretch of really nice weather that will be longer than any we have had all summer. It has been a non-summer here. I don't think that we have had more than two days in a row without rain all summer this year.
1. I did a quick inspection of the room when I got there before we went out for dinner. The fact I decided to stay one night, then more is entirely on me. I won't complain or ask for compensation after the fact for something sub par I chose to accept for multiple nights. I'm fairly certain the hotel management also knew of all the facility's shortcomings.

2. The Gaspe peninsula would have been an excellent ride to get here!

3. Sorry to hear you took ill but glad you got it dealt with. Hope the healing goes well and is speedy.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I wasn't thinking about it as a complaint so much as an opportunity to make corporate aware of what you experienced. They may have no idea.

I don't see it as a matter of whether or not you chose to accept the conditions, just as you accepting them does not excuse them being present. Howard Johnson has an image that they wish to project and standards that their franchisees are expected to meet. I am fairly certain that they are not pleased when their standards are not being met by their franchisees. Based on what you and Uncle Phil have written on this forum, I would avoid staying there. That is the power of negative experiences suffered by their customers.

So, in my opinion, it is about making them aware of the situation so that they can address it. If they don't know about sub-par properties, they can't do anything about them- putting aside the issue that they should have some type of monitoring in place besides waiting for complaints to bring it to their attention.

Who knows, George may decide to use that property again, so possibly having them up their game could well be to your future advantage.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I wasn't thinking about it as a complaint so much as an opportunity to make corporate aware of what you experienced. They may have no idea.

I don't see it as a matter of whether or not you chose to accept the conditions, just as you accepting them does not excuse them being present. Howard Johnson has an image that they wish to project and standards that their franchisees are expected to meet. I am fairly certain that they are not pleased when their standards are not being met by their franchisees. Based on what you and Uncle Phil have written on this forum, I would avoid staying there. That is the power of negative experiences suffered by their customers.

So, in my opinion, it is about making them aware of the situation so that they can address it. If they don't know about sub-par properties, they can't do anything about them- putting aside the issue that they should have some type of monitoring in place besides waiting for complaints to bring it to their attention.

Who knows, George may decide to use that property again, so possibly having them up their game could well be to your future advantage.
There are relatively few HoJo's around here and you pretty much know what you're going to get if you stay there. There are a plethora of other larger and smaller chains around (Best Western, Hampton Inn etc.) that offer newer properties and better amenities, at a known increased price point. Most folks are willing to pay for that difference and these hotels are frequently booked solid. The other chains have popped up in locations that suit travelers such as close proximity to restaurants and services. These older locations that have been around a long time were solely based on convenience right off a highway exit. They are old and tired and will likely end up as a discount motel under a local name without a brand that relies on the luck of a weary traveler or lack of space at the other fully booked places.

Top Bottom