Worth it?

Besides the loss of weight, better sound and look, what is the performance improvement of switching from stock to aftermarket mufflers?
What will be the difference between the 18" and the 14"? The shorter must be noisier?

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for performance gains forget it. It won't happen from a silencer change alone. Just my opinion.
Upt'North.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Two Bros claims about 3 to 6 more horse power.... And what Keith said..!!

T

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Besides the loss of weight, better sound and look, what is the performance improvement of switching from stock to aftermarket mufflers?
But dont stop there, add a BoosterPlug and KN air filter.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just noise that's it. Don't know why many think its so cool. Me I'll just keep my stealth exhaust on my bike. That way my wife won't know what time I get home from the tavern :biggrin:

I replace mine for weight, then repacked the baffles to regain low end torque. So they are not loud. But I found a great deal on used units, delkevics that I couldn't pass up.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There can be no question that your bike will accelerate faster with a lighter wallet in your pocket!

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
no cats so less heat :D
A few years ago I replaced my stock cans with a set of 2nd hand Staintunes just to get rid of the cats hoping it would address a few issues including weight & heat.

Lighter - Yes, but as the bike weighs about the same at the Titanic it didn't make whole lot of difference.
Noisier - Slightly, but I kept the baffles in.
Quicker - Not noticeably.
Cooler - Sadly, no appreciable difference.
Quality - Difficult. They're well made, but not as robust as stock and seem to mark a whole lot easier.

My wife (the constant pillion) also said she didn't like the look of the Staintunes, preferring the stock... I agreed, so soon they became 3rd hand as I sold them on.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Buy the Staintunes in the For Sale section. No straps or rivets. Look good Sound better. You won't regret the purchase.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I noticed a stronger pull on my bike,,, with the installation of the 18" Del's. Nothing mind blowing,,, but definitely there. The bike flows better and runs a bit cooler due to losing the catalytic's. I was not crazy about the sound, especially a low rev's,,,, until I put my earplugs in,,, and voila,, it sounded great !! Oh,, and no K&N,,, although I have one on the shelf. I am glad I installed the Del's,,, which I bought used for $200.us,,, Cheers, CAt'

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
No real performance gain, possibly 1-2 bhp. But they are lighter. And if ever given the choice of adding 20 bhp or losing 100 pounds you take the weight loss every time. Because that comes at ALL RPMs, bhp gains are usually made at a certain RPM range.

Top Bottom