Would this work for a shelf mount

Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
On my new St1300 I have the Tour Performance risers and in the center of the risers there is a empty threaded hole. Could you make a small shelf that the base would screw down into this hole? The only thing it would hold would be the GPS and epass for tolls. Rob :biker:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Re: WOULD THIS WORK FOR SHELF MOUNT

On my new St1300 I have the Tour Performance risers and in the center of the risers there is a empty threaded hole. Could you make a small shelf that the base would screw down into this hole? The only thing it would hold would be the GPS and epass for tolls. Rob :biker:
That's what the hole is there for - a RAM mount. You could configure a 2 item holder from what they have to offer.

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/motorcycles.htm

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

I think most people use that for a RAM mount. What kind of GPS are you mounting? There is likely a RAM mount available for it. Can the epass be buried in the bike somewhere or is it used in more than one vehicle? I don't have an epass as there isn't much for toll roads in MN. There is only one commuter lane that I know of that uses it and I think that motorcycles are free on it. It is on the other side of the Twin Cities from me so I rarely use that road.

OP
OP
rider coach
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #

I didn't realize that the hole was for a ram mount. It just looked like a good place for something. The epass is assigned to the bike but if I put it in enclosed plexiglass frame I think it would work fine. I haven't found a place to hide it on the bike yet. Rob

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
My ezpass is shared with the cage so I just velcro'd it by left fairing pocket.
The type of transponer I have will not work with it in the fairing pocket or in the pocket of my jacket. Used to keep it velcro'd at the bottom of the windshield on the inside but it tend to dislodge. For a permanent hidden postion I wonder it it would fit on the inside of the upper fairing? The would oritent it similar to the inside of a car windshield for good sensitivity.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
As I said I don't have an epass and have never used them so I don't know what they use for a technology. I would think that if it is an RFI type technology it would be fine buried but if it is optical then you are right that you would need a clear line of sight.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
my ezpass transponder is in the top portion of my tankbag (TM mini). Its the only consistant place I could find as long as I drive thru the (greasy) center of the lane.

My Zumo mounts with delivered hardware to a ramball on the riser plate mounting hole (3/8" thread)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
As I said I don't have an epass and have never used them so I don't know what they use for a technology. I would think that if it is an RFI type technology it would be fine buried but if it is optical then you are right that you would need a clear line of sight.
They are RF not optical (battery not RF excited by the reader at the toll booth) around here. The antenna is somewhat sensitive to orientation to the toll booth and don't work well near your body. Blrfl posted some details about the x'ponder specifics on another post a while ago. The ABS plastic in the tupperware should not be an issue for RF.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
They are RF not optical (battery not RF excited by the reader at the toll booth) around here. The antenna is somewhat sensitive to orientation to the toll booth and don't work well near your body. Blrfl posted some details about the x'ponder specifics on another post a while ago. The ABS plastic in the tupperware should not be an issue for RF.
That is what I figured. It is possible that different makes or areas would have different specs. What they use here in Minnesota is there is one highway on the other side of the Twin Cities from me and they have a commuter lane. If you are in that lane it charges you whatever the going rate is. However cars that are carpooling and I think motorcycles can use it without charge. I can see where it needs to be sensitive because there would be instances where someone that may have a pass may choose to not drive in that lane because they are not in a hurry. The lane at places is only marked with a solid double white line. They do not have toll booths on this part of the road and the only way to pay the toll is through some epass or EZpass system. So in the case where you are not using the lane but driving next to it the system needs to be accurate enough to know the difference.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
My ez-pass is velcroed to the back (underside) of the black plastic piece under the windshield, the one the windshield mounts poke out through. Reads fine, and is pretty much theft proof, unless someone steals the entire bike.

Top Bottom