WOW! DOUBLE WOW!!

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Yea Its mad. There’s a lot of people with a lot of money kicking about. This blew my mind the other day, (not bike related but illustrates the point). There’s an artist known as ‘Banksy’ over here who does street art/graffiti, his work appears over night in bizarre places like demolition sites, under old bridges, on street corners. It’s now extremely valuable. He had an artwork (below) at a big auction house that upon selling for something astronomical like £850,000, when the gavel went down ‘sold’ it literally shredded itself. It was a huge publicity stunt. Have a look on YouTube. There was much mirth & press coverage at the time.

Anyhoo, a few weeks ago that same shredded artwork sold again for £18,500,000 !! Who’s laughing now. It’s nuts, completely nuts.

DD1B8176-16E4-40F5-B0D7-7CCA79A1D06A.jpeg

Bike
2009 ST1300
I remember that, it was purchased and supposedly immediately destroyed.

Not exactly clocks sliding down staircases or endless lines of tomato soup cans, or some poor hurting ______ painting himself as he was before he cut his own _______ ear off but sure, whatever.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Bike
VStrom 650
Or for a little more.......
Oh come on chaps it's ONLY $50k.
The price of the GS would not be unheard of in the UK where folks are willing to pay top dollar for good bikes. Most are obviously bought for investment rather than a ride. I don't know where they're finding the money, apparently we're all dirt poor.
Upt'North.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I guess I’m slow to understand why anyone would pay that price for an older bike. It is nice in appearance and may be rare due to its old age, but $20K is ridiculous. Same with car prices. They’ve lost their minds (and that applies to older cars on BAT as well as newer used cars/new cars). For now, best to not buy and hold on to what you already own.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I guess I’m slow to understand why anyone would pay that price for an older bike. It is nice in appearance and may be rare due to its old age, but $20K is ridiculous. Same with car prices. They’ve lost their minds (and that applies to older cars on BAT as well as newer used cars/new cars). For now, best to not buy and hold on to what you already own.
I agree, but guys like us are no doubt lifetime members of the Cheap Bastards Club. And hey, if w don't have guys spending top dollar on new stuff, then we don't get a crack at the older used stuff costing a fraction of new.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I guess I’m slow to understand why anyone would pay that price for an older bike. It is nice in appearance and may be rare due to its old age, but $20K is ridiculous.
Well, if someone paid 120K for a banana, then the bike was cheap.

Bike
R1200rt
Yea Its mad. There’s a lot of people with a lot of money kicking about. This blew my mind the other day, (not bike related but illustrates the point). There’s an artist known as ‘Banksy’ over here who does street art/graffiti, his work appears over night in bizarre places like demolition sites, under old bridges, on street corners. It’s now extremely valuable. He had an artwork (below) at a big auction house that upon selling for something astronomical like £850,000, when the gavel went down ‘sold’ it literally shredded itself. It was a huge publicity stunt. Have a look on YouTube. There was much mirth & press coverage at the time.

Anyhoo, a few weeks ago that same shredded artwork sold again for £18,500,000 !! Who’s laughing now. It’s nuts, completely nuts.
well...it is one of a kind:puk1:

Bike
2000 ST1100
I think today or this weekend the Mecum car auction will be on tv. There you will see what people pay for old cars....that Suzuki will seem like a steal. Once saw an old VW bus go for over a million dollars.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A

v8-7

Site Supporter
Wow is right.. I had an early model 69 750.. I don't know if it was a sandcast casing or not though..

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
It's worth what people are willing to pay. They aren't making any more, and clean examples of, well, most anything will bring top dollar. It's always been this way.

RT

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Or for a little more.......
Oh come on chaps it's ONLY $50k.
The price of the GS would not be unheard of in the UK where folks are willing to pay top dollar for good bikes. Most are obviously bought for investment rather than a ride. I don't know where they're finding the money, apparently we're all dirt poor.
Upt'North.
I would buy this one as an investment for my retirement. Oh, wait, I'm already retired. And if I owned it, it would be ridden. :D

Top Bottom