Wow... pricing on new K1600s... that is amazing

I am curious how many base models BMW will be offering. Last time I test rode an R1200RT ('07 I think) I was unable to find a new one in New England that didn't have ESA and base models were unobtanium.

Just downloaded the brochure from BMW. I'll wait until I see one in person before passing final judgment, but that's a face only a mother could love.

Given some of the reliability issues BMW has had, the cost of parts and service, and the scarcity of BMW dealers, I'd for sure wait and see how these bikes perform in the real world before plunking down my pennies. BMW's recent history seems to be one of solving problems that don't really need to be solved. These appear to be inordinately complex bikes, with a ton of electronics that nobody but the dealer will be able to diagnose and fix. And that they probably won't have replacements for in stock. Have one of those fancy electronic systems go south 400 miles from nowhere and you could be stuck for a long time.

Given some of the reliability issues BMW has had, the cost of parts and service, and the scarcity of BMW dealers, I'd for sure wait and see how these bikes perform in the real world before plunking down my pennies. BMW's recent history seems to be one of solving problems that don't really need to be solved. These appear to be inordinately complex bikes, with a ton of electronics that nobody but the dealer will be able to diagnose and fix. And that they probably won't have replacements for in stock. Have one of those fancy electronic systems go south 400 miles from nowhere and you could be stuck for a long time.

:bigpop:

My $.02: It's about the price point. That's what excites me.

BMW and Honda both build what I believe (my opinion here) are the top tiers in motorcycle quality and reliability. If those qualities are the same (and my opinion says they are), then the price point wins.

Ergo, I buy a BMW.

Nice thing about the RT so far, is you can buy the computer for it, read and reset codes etc. I don't know about the K bikes. 'Nother reason I'm happy with status quo. (oops, Dave already answered this with better info. I didn't know it was for K bikes too).

with a ton of electronics that nobody but the dealer will be able to diagnose and fix. And that they probably won't have replacements for in stock. Have one of those fancy electronic systems go south 400 miles from nowhere and you could be stuck for a long time.

My Honda dealer had nothing much more than oil filters in stock for the ST. They were completely clueless about the bike, didn't know how to work on it, made serious mistakes just changing the oil on it (I quickly did my own work from that point on), and much of what I might need would've had to be ordered. They didn't even have the correct spark plugs for it. The ST wasn't a complex machine in the way some new ones are being made electronically. How much worse will it be with all the brands newer, more complex bikes? Have a Keypass go bad on a Kawasaki (Dealer said over 3 grand to fix if that happened) and see if you can tow it into a local dealer on your trip and have them fix it without ordering stuff, and scratching their heads as to what to order and do.

Sign of the times, sign of the times, only getting more so, and more so, all around in general, as more things are computerized on the machine. One day the computer will do the riding and the owner will punch in a destination and sit there.

Part of the answer to that on the Bimmer, is the diagnostic computer that an owner can (and that I will) own. Canbus doesn't seem to be terribly troublesome so far. I've been able to add what I want to it with a relay and fuse box setup, including normal battery tender.

All new stuff is slowly going in this direction (not necessarily Canbus, but more complex and computer run elements that you need a diagnostic for). Not just in bikes either, cars are ahead here already, including stuff that helps steer for you. I don't like it, but there it is.

Reality check time:

Don't get too excited fellas and read my post below. You're forgetting the destination charge, and the fact that no BMW dealer is going to bring a bare bones GT in. They most definately will have the "standard package" as a minimum.

Real world, as in what you will find on the showroom floor GT MSRP will be about $23,500 and up.

Apples to apples options comparison of 16GT to my 10 K13GT brings the new 16GT in at about 2k more than my K13GT.

$2,000 for significantly more weight, more tq, but the same hp than the old GT.......no thanks.

See below for the full press release with package and options pricing.

Plan on paying around 23K+MSRP for the GT, (as I expected) and as they will most certainly be equipped by and large by dealer orders.

Full Press Release:

BMW Motorcycles

When BMW announced it was building the most advanced six-cylinder touring motorcycle on the market, anticipation immediately began.

BMW fans, especially those in the touring segment, wanted every bit of information available regarding the 2012 BMW K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL motorcycles.
The German manufacturer pleased these motorcyclists to some extent when it began trickling information in late 2010, but knowledge like feature packages and pricing were kept hush.

That was until Monday, when BMW Motorrad USA released the latest feature packages and pricing on the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL.

As for pricing on these motorcycles that will be available through authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealers this spring, the K1600GT will have a MSRP of $20,900, while the K1600GTL will have a MSRP of $23,200. (additional destination charge of $495 is not included in MSRP).

Following are some features that are built into each model. But first, some basic facts about these touring bikes.

The 2012 six-cylinder BMW K 1600 GT and GTL motorcycles will offer the most advanced technology available in the touring segment. Here are a few innovations built into the BMW motorcycles:

* The world's lightest and most compact six-cylinder engine on a production motorcycle. At 226 lbs (including clutch, gearbox and alternator) and less than 22 inches wide, the six-cylinder engine in the K 1600 models is comparable in size to four-cylinder power plants.
* The world's first Xenon adaptive headlight on a motorcycle. Innovative electronics automatically compensate for the lean angle around corners and ensure the beam of the headlight is always directed at the road ahead.
* The world's most advanced audio and communications system on a motorcycle. Bluetooth for wireless communication, Sirius satellite radio with a complimentary 12-month subscription, integration for iPod, USB stick and auxiliary input, AM/FM tuner, pre-wired for Navigator 4.
* A multi-controller on the left-hand grip, which allows riders to operate the motorcycle's systems and adjust its settings without taking their hands off the bars.

Here's a list of features that both base models of the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL come equipped with:

* Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling
* Heated seat
* Heated grips
* Cruise control
* Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller
* Integral ABS
* Luggage rack
* E-Gas throttle with three power modes
* White LED turn signals
* Power adjustable windshield

The Base Model K 1600 GTL also includes:

* Bluetooth
* Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
* Top case in body color
* Comfort backrest for top case
* Third stop light for top case
* Comfort windshield
* Comfort footrests
* Chrome body kit

The Standard Package - only offered on the K 1600 GT - will have a MSRP of $23,045 and will include:

* Preparation for GPS
* ESA II (Electronic suspension adjustment II)
* Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)

The Premium Package - available on both models - will be offered at an MSRP of $24,540 for the K 1600 GT and $25,845 for the K 1600 GTL.
Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GT includes:

* Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
* Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)
* GT Luxury Package - ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm

Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GTL includes:

* GTL Luxury Package - LED fog lights, ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm

Color options for the K 1600 GT are light grey metallic and vermillion red metallic. Color options for the K 1600 GTL are royal blue metallic and mineral silver metallic.

Pre-Sale Program to End Feb. 28

Due to extraordinary customer response, the K 1600 GT/GTL pre-sale program will end Feb. 28 to enable BMW Motorrad retailers to fulfill pre-orders in a timely manner.
Todd Anderesen (Marketing Manager, BMW Motorrad USA) says: "The positive response to our pre-sale program speaks volumes about the reputation of our dealers and the strong confidence consumers have in BMW's technology and quality.

I dont like it either AND IM NOT BUYING IT! We all need to stand up to this technological insanity.

You lead the charge. I'm guessing it goes something like Belushi charging out of Delta house.

Aside from the inline engine adaptive headlight option and new switches there isn't really anything on the K16 that hasn't been around for years in the BMW line up.

Again, my only complaint is a power to weight ratio that is less than the model it is replacing. I don't call that "progress".

I'd have to say, "Wow." A 2010 K13GT (still listed on the BMW website) would be $21,045 with roughly the same equipment as the K16GT for $20,900.

Hmmm...guess I will qualify my "wow" a bit. As I recall when I last test road an R1200RT (2007?) I tried to find a base model as I wasn't interested in the bells and whistles. There not only wasn't one available to test ride, there wasn't one in inventory in New England or eastern New York. "Unobtanium" is how the sales manager phrased it. (Great word!) I expect it will be much the same for these new GT's and I wouldn't blame BMW for shipping only option-laden bikes to a market that will buy them all, no matter how they come equipped.

Hmmm...guess I will qualify my "wow" a bit. As I recall when I last test road an R1200RT (2007?) I tried to find a base model as I wasn't interested in the bells and whistles. There not only wasn't one available to test ride, there wasn't one in inventory in New England or eastern New York. "Unobtanium" is how the sales manager phrased it. (Great word!) I expect it will be much the same for these new GT's and I wouldn't blame BMW for shipping only option-laden bikes to a market that will buy them all, no matter how they come equipped.

Considering having a bike with ESA, cruise, etc. etc., in general is a good hunk of the reason people buy a BMW, I'd say you're right.

Strippo K16GT?...good luck, and if "bang for the buck" is the criteria, you're barking up the wrong tree by considering BMW.

Except you can only pre-order the bikes fully loaded, and the price is on the other side of $30,000. I asked.

That would be hard to believe that there is over $7,000 in Options on the GTL, much less that you can only pre-order a fully loaded bike... but I will ask Touring Sport on Saturday when I am in there getting my shop supplies to my Inspection 1.

Don't know if you saw the original post on the standard equipment, but that is what most of my riding buddies have on their BMWs, save for the ESA (a $800.00 option on my RT when I bought it new). I think you will see those bikes in great supply. Touring Sport in Greenville has a mix of RT/GTs and very rarely have they the maxed out to the hilt bikes on the showroom floor. In fact, the thing that the standard GT has over my RT is the heated seat, the three power modes and multi-controller (a new interface introduced on the 2010 RT... Standard).

Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling
• Heated seat
• Heated grips
• Cruise control
• Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller
• Integral ABS
• Luggage rack
• E-Gas throttle with three power modes
• White LED turn signals
• Power adjustable windshield

You guys go ahead and buy 1600. Let me know what you think at 60,000 miles when the cylinders are no longer round and it starts using oil. Lots of oil!

I'm teasing, Im teasing!

I love the looks! I'd buy it based on the HP/Torque specs alone. Anyone know what RPM it will be turning at 60 or 70mph? Should be buttery smooth.

Don't know if you saw the original post on the standard equipment, but that is what most of my riding buddies have on their BMWs, save for the ESA (a $800.00 option on my RT when I bought it new)

ESA is a relatively cheap upgrade on your bike when new considering replacement ESA units now are $3241 vs. $1519 for new "regular" shocks for a R12RT. On a K13 the difference is even more - $4046 for new ESA shocks vs only $1692 for non-ESA units. I had a friend that got a very good deal on a K12GT with 35,000 miles on it until he realized it needed new ESA shocks at a hair over $4,000. That was more than half of what he paid for the 3 year old bike. He was able to sell it quickly before Big Bill came to visit.

Can we imagine what a dynamic leveling headlight unit will cost in 5+ years for a used 2011 1600? Or what a set of shocks will be? I can appreciate the technology BMW brings to its line of motorcycles but I know that I can't afford it now much less over the life of the bike.

My guess is that the early product mix will be heavily biased towards loaded bikes. BMW, and it's dealers, will milk the "I just gotta have the newest Bimmer" crowd for all they can. Over time, you'll see the product mix shift to include more of the middle-priced, and at least a few "bare-bones" models.

ESA is a relatively cheap upgrade on your bike when new considering replacement ESA units now are $3241 vs. $1519 for new "regular" shocks for a R12RT.

There are a couple of after market suspension outfits "re-building" the ESA units for less than that, for the GS anyway. What they're doing is fitting the ESA plumbing and stuff to their own shocks, with or without spring upgrades giving you a completely custom tuned set up that can be rebuilt in future. After one season with ESA, I'd never buy another ST or similar bike without it.

Back
Top Bottom