XM Antenna wire

Bike
Thruxton
STOC #
I just got all my stuff from Cyclegagets to use my RoadyXT on the ST.
I have seen the link where it shows you how to shorten the cable on the antenna.

Has anybody here actually done it? Were you sorry you did it. Problems with reception after? Obviously, the 21 feet that came with it is at least 20 feet too much. Is there a required/recommended min length that should be followed that anyone might know of? I really only need about 8 inches of cable.

Thanks guys for any responses

STOC #
There is a source for the antenna with about a 4' lead or, as you say it can be shortened. One of the ST riders has done it but, the wires are pretty fine and difficult, not impossible, to solder.

Personally, I just looped mine underneath my dash shelf and I'm down the road.

I was getting some signal drop out with the car small antenna so I switched it for one of the home types (1.5'x 1.5" vs 4"x 4"). I don't see any drop out now unless it is a steep cut-through or cliff.

Time2Work
Neil S.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The coax on XM and Sirius antennas is just a feed cable that gets the signal from the hockey puck to the radio. Provided you do a good job splicing the ends together, its length won't have any effect on its performance.

The thing of it is, the cable is so incredibly small that you pretty much have to be a neurosurgeon to work on it...

--Mark

OP
OP
Dketchum
Bike
Thruxton
STOC #
Thanks for the replies,

I have spent years building scale RC helicopters and do a lot of soldering for work...I am used to dealing with the little itsy bitsy stuff...:)

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use a mini antenna with a 12" lead, they are available online. I 'll have to look up the source when I get home from work.
I have shortened the cables that come with the radio, but it is one of the most difficult soldering operations you will find. After 2 antennas and 4 tries, I finally had one that worked. The wires are very fine and difficult to configure, I wouldn't recommend it. There were instructions for the mod posted somewhere before the great crash of 2007.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
If you do not want to mess with it, go to xmfanstore.com. They have one with two or three feet of wire. I have a three foot one as it was less money at the time then the two foot one. Works great.

Top Bottom