Ya it’s NOT RED!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have a plan to go up north for the 2025 summer solstice. In order to make that happen I just acquired this 2007 650 VStrom. It has 75k kms (45k miles). There’s some R&R to be done on it, not much really as it appears to be in reasonable shape.
Thanks to Bruce and Ray for their guidance, I’m looking forward to getting this ready for the trip.

Attachments

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Looks like a nice bike, hope it turns your plans into reality.

p.s. The colour is great.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Congrats Robert, the Laam seat is a score and a good start. By coincidence, I have a Wee Vee secret I'll reveal later.. we need coffee methinks......

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Yes congrats, looks in reasonably good shape, as Ray said, nice seat. Going to have to change the title of the Utube series when riding this one though :p

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I gotta say I’m liking this bike!
There have been a few surprises, all manageable. The previous owners wiring skills were challenging, basically twist the wires together and tape with electrical tape…..functional. ;). There were a few fasteners from Home Depot in the mix too. It’s fine nothing really worthy of complaining about. I just removed it and started from scratch, installed a fuse block, tied the driving lamps to the high beam circuit with the use of a relay. Ordered the proper fasteners from Suzuki, replaced brake pads, cleaned and serviced the chain, getting it ready for inspection a week from today. I have a temporary permit which allows me to drive it to the inspection venue and to use it if no other vehicle is available. This afternoon all my vehicles were indisposed so I had to take it for a ride, test my brakes, see if it handled on gravel roads, just a brief ride not more than two hours.
It has a very good grin factor! At home on country gravel roads, like it was dry pavement…..yes I was very comfortable, very much at ease.
That power to weight thing? I explored that too. It’s no slouch!

The previous owner also replaced the rear turn signals with LED units, I didn’t catch that on my inspection though I did notice it flashing rapidly. A LED flasher relay will arrive tomorrow to correct the issue.

I have a NOS Audiovox vacuum cruise control which I will install sometime in the near future. I still need to flush the brake fluid and coolant. I have to go to Winnipeg in August, I will ride my ST there and when I come back I will continue with getting the bike ready for my Artic adventure.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I never thought gravel roads could be so much FUN!
Grinning ear to ear as I explore the gravel roads in Perth county, spectacular views, next to no traffic, just having a blast!
Gravel roads and pickup, blind hills and vehicle taking half of your lane, be careful and keep an eye out for dust clouds approaching you.

Have fun

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
It’s going to get even better with experience and off roading. Congrats - Suzie’s are great biles

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I never thought gravel roads could be so much FUN!
Grinning ear to ear as I explore the gravel roads in Perth county, spectacular views, next to no traffic, just having a blast!
I had the same "awakening" years ago. You will be surprised at what this bike will allow you to discover.
I have no qualms about going down a gravel road with my ST but those are well compacted gravel and usually are not that long, only until I get to the next black-top road. The ST is not a bike that I will use to go exploring back country roads with however. What you have is perfect.

My first long extensive ride on gravel of all varying conditions was the Trans-Labrador highway years before it was paved. I think that it ended up being something like 1,600 KM of gravel by the time that we got back. We were on a KTM 790 (I think) and an 1150 GS. The first couple of hundred KM were a little trying to say the least. The road had just been freshly graded so we were riding on loose gravel without knowing how to ride loose gravel- initiation by fire. Once we figured it out we had a blast the rest of the way.

That type of bike opens up a lot more possibilities for exploration and scenery you were not even aware was there because before it was inaccessible to you. You will probably be surprised what you will find in your own backyard that you didn't even know was there. Go exploring and have fun.

Top Bottom