Yet another leak question

Ok, bought my '04 one year ago from original owner with 34,000 miles. No history of coolant leakage. My first PM tear down I noticed some minor dried residue around hose fittings, no big deal. I have driven about 4000 in the last year. Temp indicator is solid three bars always. No coolant odors, absolutely dry underneath the bike, no drips on bottom of cowling. The engine is clean, appears to never have had any oil leakage.
My 4000 miles have consisted of 3-4 400 mile days, lots of 100 milers, 50 milers, and local riding, pretty much solo.

last week I did a 150 miler with a passenger in 80 deg temps. The following day I got a few tablespoons of leakage under the center cowl at the pop out button that sits about six inches back from point of cowling. It had some bright green, but felt pretty oily. I'm thinking it was primarily coolant, or maybe 100% coolant. Have been out on some solo rides since, no more signs of leakage, dry as a popcorn
Question: did the two up riding work the engine enough to push coolant temps and system pressures up to cause the leaking?
is this cause for alarm? Reason to tear down and replace thermostat, hoses, etc?
I can only assume that the bike is running original parts, so with it approaching 40k miles, maybe it's time for an coolest system PM regardless? If so, do I goop the threads on the galley plug while I'm at it?
thanks for advice.

kendall

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Is it possible the overflow bottle just dumped some excess from being filled too much?
Kinda hard to see the level I just over fill it and let it mark it's territory. It'll do that if you park it right after some spirited riding.

When was the last time the coolant was changed?
That's a good time to get behind the radiator and snug up some hose clamps or swap em for the breeze clamps.

Cause for alarm? No $.02 :)

Top Bottom