YOU IDIOT!!! (Pointing to self...)

Bike
2007 ST 1300
PAY ATTENTION ALL THE TIME !

Went for a ride Sunday with two buddies. One rode his metric cruiser and the other rode my ST 1300 . Absolutely beautiful day in the low 80’s - no humidity and not a cloud in the sky . I rode my 1950 Norton single which has a manual ignition advance on the left handlebar. Let in the clutch in first gear and then advance the ignition with your left thumb while rolling on the throttle. Leave it advanced while changing up or down until you get to bottom gear then retard just before coming to a stop. You are very busy operating machines of this nature but I have been riding this one for fifteen years now . We were riding two lane paved country back roads on a route I have traveled hundreds of times and I am intimately familiar with it.

I was in the front and came to an intersection with a stop sign - stopped , looked both ways and when no traffic was seen I proceeded across and reached for the advance with my thumb and it wasn’t there . I glanced down while I was in the intersection ( turns out I hadn’t retarded it before stopping - the rpm should have told me ) and when I looked up I saw the truck that I was about to cross in front of.
Instinct took over with stabbing in countersteer and stomping the inside peg . Turned right in the lane and then around the back of the truck which had never slowed .

My buddies whom had front row seats to this incredible stupidity on my part said it looked like an act in a motorcycle thrill show.

This was entirely my own fault and I am still beating myself up over it - as well I should . I allowed a simple distraction to take my eyes off the road for split second while in an intersection of all places. Thankfully no harm done to anyone or anything but my pride and my ego . I have been riding for over 50 years and this is as close as I have come to what would likely have been a fatality - yours truly being the likely victim. If by any wild stretch the driver of the red truck reads this I apologize for the likely stress I and I alone caused - my bad .

So maybe some good will come of this - I hope I have re- learned something and perhaps it will impress upon some who read it how vulnerable we are on motorcycles and how important it is to be vigilant. If something seems amiss wait for the appropriate time to assess the problem. Don’t allow complacency to creep in . Ride safely please - EVERYONE.

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
Been riding bikes since 1946 or so. Had my share of oops on different bikes. Had a 1938 Harley 80 at one time. When it fell over, it took at least two big guys to get her back on her feet. Most recent one was moving my precious St 1300 into my garage by standing alongside and wheeling it backwards. Lost control, down she goes right into the side of the garage door opening. Amazingly, it didn't even scratch the windshield which hit first. What it did do was broke the mechanism on the electric slide. They don't make replacement parts for those so $406 later and a week it was back to normal.

Bike
1991 ST1100
My very first bike was a shiny new 1965 Yamaha 80CC. I was surprised at how quick it was, (I had only ridden mopeds before)
So I decided to show off how fast it could take off to my aunt and cousins watching from the porch.
Soooo I cracked the throttle wide open and dropped the clutch... who knew that would happen? I thought the damn thing was gonna do a full loop. It's a good thing the bike only weighed about 150lb, cause it ended up on top of me. No injuries other than pride, and I kinda hoped the aunt and the kids would hurt themselves laughing.
Since then I've always been afraid of wheelies

51lrc01OkHL.jpg

I wish I had one of those stories. Something I know (like the OP said) I will laugh about Afterwords. I guess I am thankful (or perhaps don't like telling on myself?). I can tell you about walking into a Jack in the Box restaurant, removing helmet and gloves and ordering a full breakfast including coffee. The counter girl asked me if it would be to "eat here" or "to go"...

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I wish I had one of those stories. Something I know (like the OP said) I will laugh about Afterwords. I guess I am thankful (or perhaps don't like telling on myself?). I can tell you about walking into a Jack in the Box restaurant, removing helmet and gloves and ordering a full breakfast including coffee. The counter girl asked me if it would be to "eat here" or "to go"...
Coffee to go? Here's something I saw a while ago that made no sense then and still doesn't.

I was sitting at a red light slightly behind another biker. He turned to look back and we nodded a greeting to each other. Then, he pulls a coffee cup out of his jacket - I can see it steaming without any sign of a lid - he takes a sip, puts it back in his jacket and rides off when the light turns green.

Did I really see what I just saw? Was this some kind of special cup? Whatever it was, he was a rider with a special sense of humor.

thekaz

haz gone feral
I'm posting this in Motorcycle Safety, but please move, or delete, if it should be posted elsewhere, or not at all.

So, I did something stupid recently… You know one of those things you maybe laugh about. Afterwards. Maybe others can learn from my stupidity. Maybe you want to share something stupid you did. I call this… YOU IDIOT!!!

Anyway, I was riding along recently. Not some long distant stupid past, but just two weeks ago. And I look down at my handlebars and notice that my low beam switch is set, so I flick it up to high beam. Only it wasn’t my light switch. It was the red kill switch. I was going 75 mph on the 405 freeway when I got this bright idea. Nothing like a sudden loss of power to wake up the driver behind me, eh? Fortunately, I was able to restart and continue. I call this… YOU IDIOT!!! Or Motorcycle Dyslexia.

One more, because I have a million of ‘em I’m afraid, but am I the only one to ever pull into a gas station, real cool like, and get off my bike, real cool like, and step to the pump only to feel 800 pounds of ST hitting me across the back of the knees because I forgot to put the kick stand down? Should I admit I’ve done this twice?? YOU IDIOT!!!

Some of you might say I shouldn’t be riding, but it’s been 40 years and so far, so good!!

Share if you’ve ever been an IDIOT!!! In a good way!

-)))))))))

I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS !!!!! :rolleyes:

I also plan to never do that again :D HAHHAA

Bike
2010 ST1300
I picked up my new '69 TR6R Triumph in London, and started riding it to Finland, where I was going to be working for the summer. I still don't know where this happened, but I pulled into a toll booth (or customs - don't remember now or even what country) and there was a gorgeous Scandinavian girl in the booth. I reached behind me for my wallet, which was strapped in a back pack to the pillion seat, and as I twisted, the bike started to lean toward the toll booth. I spun back, grabbed for the bars, but...too late, and the bike fell over, pinning my pants between the crash bar and the booth. I remember looking up into those lovely blue laughing eyes, as I struggled to get myself free. A guy had to come over from the next booth to help me right the bike and get free - and he thought it was all very funny too!

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Ooh and forgetting to close the latch on the left pannier and loosing it at 100mph on the autobahn ? Guilty!
+1, it must have frightened the hell out of the following traffic when it bounced off... and that was at about 50 mph. Minor scratching only, but cursed myself roundly for doing it.

I also managed to put the sidestand on a Suzuki 600 Bandit down on the welt of my left boot, neatly trapping my foot without my realising it. The following action of swinging my right leg off the bike threw me back against the wing of my partners car causing £350 worth of damage and dumping me on my butt.

Last edited:
A recent forehead slap for me was riding for hours, reaching up to loosen my chinstrap to remove my helmet ... to find my chinstrap had never been tightened. :doh1:
One of my pre first gear checklist items! Have done it a few times so I always reach up and pull down on it.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
After upgrading the rear shock I attempted to measure the sag and thought 'man this spring is stiff, there's almost no give even when I bounce on the saddle' till I realised I still had a socket on the rear axle supporting the bike on the muffler, YOU IDIOT!

Top Bottom