You know it's going to be a good day when .....

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Just as you are walking away from your bike after the morning commute ........ you realize you just locked your keys in the bike!:eek::banghead:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How do you lock your keys in your bike on a wing?

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
They have this fancy new key fob thing. That you can use to lock the bags and top box before you walk away. It also has another button on it you can hold to open the trunk. If you have the bags locked then use the button to open the trunk, when you then reclose the trunk it automatically locks again in 30 seconds. Security feature. :D

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Thanks for letting me know that. I'd probably do the same thing.

I hope yours is growing on you like mine is on me. Each time I ride it I like it more. Still have to do something about the seat to move me back a few inches.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe there's a way to push something up though the trunk and release the trunk. I seem to remember doing that on my 05 when my trunk latch stuck ... from there, I think you can access the same quick release for the bags... but, my memory is failing so not sure how accurate all that is.. I know from inside the trunk there are manual releases for the bags... can't remember if there's something similar for the trunk from the outside.

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I already got the getting the keys out part covered. The wife didn't leave the house yet so I called her to grab the extra key. She works about 4 miles from me so I will have the second key after lunch.

Dinky, read your manual! It works exactly like the manual it says it does!

So here is how this happened. I get off the bike get my lunch out of the trunk and replace it with helmet and gloves. Close trunk and install the cover on the bike and use the key FOB to lock it. As I start to walk away I realize I still have my coveralls on. It should be warm enough later I won't need them so I turn around to shed them. I pull out my trusty key FOB and unlatch the trunk then put my keys and FOB back in my pocket. Open jacket enough to get the bibs unhooked and slide the coveralls off and put them in the trunk. Close trunk and recover bike. Reach for keys to make sure I relock the bike....... They are in my coveralls pocket. Click!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well... no one's stealing the bike.... or coveralls... just saying, the system works.

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Well... no one's stealing the bike.... or coveralls... just saying, the system works.
Sure does. But I don't think I will ever use the button on the key FOB to open the trunk again. I'll just use the unlock button and the old fashion latch under the trunk.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sure does. But I don't think I will ever use the button on the key FOB to open the trunk again. I'll just use the unlock button and the old fashion latch under the trunk.
Yeah, I never used that on my wings, just the lock/unlock for everything.

Doesn't matter now as you're been conditioned instantly to check for your keys before closing anything.. LOL

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
They have this fancy new key fob thing. That you can use to lock the bags and top box before you walk away. It also has another button on it you can hold to open the trunk. If you have the bags locked then use the button to open the trunk, when you then reclose the trunk it automatically locks again in 30 seconds. Security feature. :D
I don't use that fob for that very reason.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
On the inside of the right engine cover, there is a piece of foam rubber, that can be pulled back enough to slide a spare key beneath the foam. Since it doesn't take any tools ro remove the cover, the key is always accessible. Not sayin that I have one hidden there, but the previous owner of my bike might have put one there. He told me about it and I still had a hard time finding it since it was completely under the foam.

I know it won't help today, but maybe next time? From a Wing website, it seems to be a common problem.

John

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Sometimes old fashioned is the best.:)
Or just smarter.

One time I got into a fight with my car over closing the trunk. Mrs. Blrfl was in for some tests, and I had to take her purse home but had to make a couple of stops on the way. Walk out, open the trunk, deposit purse. Close trunk. *POP* Car re-opens trunk. Close trunk again. *POP* Car re-opens trunk. After a few more tries, I realized that my wife's key fob was in the bottom of her purse, the car figured out that I was about to lock it in the trunk and did its level best to keep me from doing that. One rummage later, both fobs were outside the car and the trunk closed and locked.

Bonus points for realizing that there was a key in the trunk but demerits for not noticing that there was another fob outside.

--Mark

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Surely, you're talking about a Honda Accord, no motorcycle would be built with things like this.

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Surely, you're talking about a Honda Accord, no motorcycle would be built with things like this.
Oh no. I'm sure the Accord would be like my Altima. The trunk will not close if it detects the key/FOB is in there. Neither the Gold wing or myself have been programmed to be that smart.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
[QUOTE;1739350]I don't get on with the electronic key things, my Mazda CX5 has no ignition key, just a fob. Problem is if the fob is in range, you can start the car and drive off,as far a gas will take you...Until you switch it off....then find the fob is in you kitchen,30 miles away......stupid idea.[/QUOTE]

I read in the Brit magazine Bike about a tester doing exactly the same thing with a Multistrada, that design makes NO sense. He was 200 miles away when he realized it without enough fuel to get back.

Top Bottom