Yuasa TTZ14S versus YTZ14S

Bike
2005 st-1300
Just wondering if these are really the same, just the TTZ14S is not factory filled. I had the one you had to fill yourself years ago, didn't seem like a big deal and lasted just as long (but don't remember model #). There are TTZ14S on amazon for about $104, a lot less than the prefilled guys. Opinions appreciated.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Get a AGM battery , glass mat.Google it up.
+1. I got my 1100 in August of '18 and put in an $88 AGM from Walmart. Every winter, no battery tender or fuel treatment, just under a Dowco cover outdoors. The past four springs, and every other time, it has started almost as if it had been ridden the day before.

OP
OP
red dirt cowboy
Bike
2005 st-1300
Which one have you had good luck with? Reading reviews on the ones I've found sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (but then when one reads reviews one would hesitate to buy anything again). I have always had good luck with these yuasa's, never used anything else.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I’ve used Yuasa batteries and like them but AGM is the way to go. No worries about water level being low and having to top up. I’ve been running a generic one for 7-8 years, unlike Larry, I have it on a tender when not riding and over winter in an unheated garage. The Yuasa I had before lasted 6 years. Will replace with another AGM when the time comes. If you want to stick with Yuasa, then check out their AGM line up.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That looks like it. The brand you like with better user friendly material. Good luck. It would be good if you update this post when you get it and 6 years from now to confirm :biggrin:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just wondering if these are really the same, just the TTZ14S is not factory filled. I had the one you had to fill yourself years ago, didn't seem like a big deal and lasted just as long (but don't remember model #). There are TTZ14S on amazon for about $104, a lot less than the prefilled guys. Opinions appreciated.
I have used dry shipped AGMs like the TTZ14S with excellent results. In fact I prefer them because we don’t know how long factory activated batteries have been sitting on a shelf self-discharging before we buy them. Right now I have one in the Goldwing and one in the Elite 80. A dry shipped battery is activated when I fill it and seal it so the clock starts ticking when I choose to start it. These two batteries have the same exact performance specifications but because the YTZ’s cells are heat sealed at the factory and the dry shipped TTZ has an adhesive sealing strip applied at filling Yuasa recommends the TTZ not be mounted off vertical at the same angles the YTZ can be mounted. In our motorcycle application the difference in allowed off vertical mounting angle means nothing.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those two models ARE AGM.
On the TTZ batteries, after you dump the acid in, you seal it with the cap that usually comes on the acid pack. After that it is no different than the factory activated YTZ. Same CCA and same Ah. The cost difference is due to either you dump in the acid and seal it or the factory does.

On a side note, the YTX batteries are also AGM and cost slightly less than the YTZ version and have a lower CCA but the same Ah rating.

The YTZ batteries are designed for more extreme useage conditions like environment (temp) and vibration.
TTZ batteries also cannot be tilted as much as YTZ or YTX. Not because they'll leak... they won't, but because of other design details inside the battery like venting and other design features.

It just so happened that I was looking this information up last night while investigating that very question for my own bike. Don't need a battery yet but wanted to know before I do. I also would be using a TTZ14S or YTZ14S in my bike. Amazon has both.
Just a few results...
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/motorcycle-and-powersport/what-does-ytx-stand-for/#:~:text=Yuasa YTX batteries are usually,superior grid and component design.
https://www.hardwarexpress.co.uk/pages/difference-between-yuasa-ttz-and-ytz
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_Application_Guide_File.pdf

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
A dry shipped battery is activated when I fill it and seal it so the clock starts ticking when I choose to start it.
My sentiments exactly... but...

EC directive 2019/1148 prohibits sale of battery acid to non B-to-B parties by Feb 1st, 2021... (illegal mixing of explosives...)
All we can now obtain are pre-filled, hopefully charged, sealed batteries... (into which one could still drill a hole to retrieve the liquid and perform above mentioned...)
Those then had a lifespan of one, maybe two seasons... even the OEM YUASA's...

LiFEPo4 for me now...

Top Bottom