Zipper Merge. DO IT!

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
One of the humor threads had this...

"You will hit every cone on the highway before I let you merge in front of me because you saw that sign 2 miles ago like I did."

...which touched off a pet-peeve.

The highway designers and construction management services plan for and require a zipper-merge for best traffic flow. Zipper together people or you are the problem not the "inconsiderate aggressive a-hole" saying in the ending lane up to it's finish.

Here's a link to the MN DOT web page with more explanation: MN DOT Zipper Page

So do it. Be the "a-hole". Unfortunately, until every driver understands, doing it can be dangerous (tripping off road rage) especially on a bike.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
If everyone merges in 2 miles back, you get a slow lane next to an empty lane that is constantly used by the "a-holes" (doing it right) to pass all the "polite" (idiots doing it wrong) cars sitting in the slow lane. With enough "a-holes" the "polite" line will never move.

If everyone does a zipper-move, the lanes move at the same rate and everyone gets their place in line with no but-ins-skies.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
All you can control are your actions... so best to take a deep breath and not let other people's actions ruin your day. Most folks in that kind of a hurry will typically pay later on w/ticket or wreck.. or maybe not at all but by letting it ruin your day a total stranger affected you... why give them that power?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Another beef is with the folks who don't know the difference between a yield and a merge sign, especially on highways on ramps.

OP
OP
mudduc
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
All you can control are your actions... so best to take a deep breath and not let other people's actions ruin your day. Most folks in that kind of a hurry will typically pay later on w/ticket or wreck.. or maybe not at all but by letting it ruin your day a total stranger affected you... why give them that power?
In sooo much agreement.
Long ago I adopted the same philosophy. It doesn't even bother me when someone tries to kill me with a lane change. It's just what they do.

However, I need to emphasize my point as I suspect you've missed it.
I don't get mad at anyone zipping past the slow lane up to do a last-minute merge. I'm happy that is being done. That is the RIGHT way to do it. There shouldn't be a empty lane available for people to butt-in at the front.

May just be my misunderstanding but your "Most folks in that kind of a hurry will typically pay later..." comment had me thinking you were disparaging the people who were doing it right.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I understand how it works... 'zipper' should be one alternating tooth at a time. But, some will just never get it, all the signs in the world won't help and their actions do negate the original purpose of the 'zipper' action... Whatchagonnado? It may trigger some road rage I agree.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I understand how it works... 'zipper' should be one alternating tooth at a time. But, some will just never get it, all the signs in the world won't help and their actions do negate the original purpose of the 'zipper' action... Whatchagonnado? It may trigger some road rage I agree.
I think the issue is folks who zipper too soon so you end up with a double zipper.

There's also a difference between your standard zipper design roadway and construction. When they have signs and cones to merge, and multiple signs that say "do not pass" and folks do, well that's annoying. Sort of like folks who can't respect work zone speed signs.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
FWIW, I remember reading in a Marilyn Vos Savant column years ago that she is in agreement that zipper merge is the fairest & most efficient.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I pass the slow lane, a few miles per hour faster than they are travelling, in the empty lane...

I find that doing it slower keeps me moving and minimising the risks.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
And if the 'zipper' occurs back a ways (not miles), traffic actually feeds faster into the single lane as well because everyone isn't slowing down or bumper riding to prevent someone from getting in like when if it happens right as the lane markings (when not in a construction zone) or cones force the two lanes to combine.

Being polite from both full lanes helps everyone move through the area quicker!

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I think the issue is folks who zipper too soon so you end up with a double zipper.
I'll up your double zipper with my triple zipper, trouble is people don't get it and never will, bring on self drive cars, am in! At least on a motorcycle there's always a gap

Top Bottom