Article Zumo 590 & 595 Trip Planner & Basecamp - What Goes Wrong and Why

I have Recently Added a Part 4 as a separate document attached to this post. See a Summary in my post of 4 Nov 2017.

I wrote this document over a year ago when I first got my Zumo 590. It was driving me nuts in that it didn't behave how I expected it to behave. So I tested it, tried to find out when it went wrong and why, noted apparent changes in the way that Zumo define the way in which routing points are treated during navigation. Basically, I shook it until it started behaving itself.

No - that's unfair. My Zumo behaves exactly as it did before, but I understand it better, and I know how to avoid the numerous traps that present themselves between planning a route and clicking 'Go' on the Zumo. And this is what the attached document is about. Loads of screenshots to illustrate the points, and hopefully written in a way that makes it clear.

The issues discussed are peculiar to the recent Zumos that have the Trip Planner App - like the 590, 595, 390, 395. But there is stuff in here that is also relevant to the way in which Mapsource and the Zumo 500 series work.

There are 5 files attached. The first is the full document of 4 parts - 35 pages.

I've also split it into the 4 separate sections:

Part 1 is to do with routes and how the Zumo treats the different type of routing points when navigating.

Part 2 is a complete route together in Basecamp and getting it to work correctly in the Zumo. There is a lot to go wrong - this will fix the issues.

Part 3 is a reference section for both Basecamp and the Zumo. A series of "How To" descriptions - focusing on the things that go wrong - including why the carefully planned route ends up as something different in the Zumo; how to clear those unwanted routes, favourites and trip logs; Basecamp's 'Ghost' Points; ..... stuff like that.

Part 4 is New 4 Nov 2017. It is to do with Profiles in Basecamp and how the Zumo repsonds to them. See my post of 4 Nov 2017 for more details and a summary.
Thank You! I wish I'd found your document earlier. It took me two+ years of experimentation and frustration to figure out how to build a reliable route for my 590. I can now get it right about 95% of the time but your explanations will make that easier and let me understand how to use options I've avoided rather than risk problems. This is information that Garmin should have provided with every current GPS and Basecamp.

John and Michael,

Your posts have helped me immensely in understanding my 660. Like Shuey, I run Basecamp on a Mac laptop, and generally had good luck loading directly to the 660. About two years ago, my calculated route on the 660 would get lost mid-trip. I would get an error message that the route could not be calculated, and navigation would stop. If I reopened the route, it would pick up where I was and continue on. An annoyance, but I could live with it unless it lost the route near a turn, which was obviously troublesome. I am now going to try transferring the route created in Basecamp to Mapsource and see if I have better success.

John

STOC #
For a long time when I had my 660, I used Mapsource without problems. I absolutely hated BaseCamp - it was clunky (especially on a PC) and from my experience, it didn't work particularly well. Whenever I contacted Garmin, with a problem, their response was that I should be using BaseCamp as Mapsource isn't supported anymore.

Then, they introduced the route planning feature of the later Garmins like the 590 / 390 and they seemed to redefine the nature of the routing points (via and shaping). And suddenly, they declare that Basecamp does not function correctly with some routes on the 660 series machines. Use Mapsource instead. Which is why Michael's ( @CYYJ 's ) little trick works. It is only under certain circumstances that Basecamp fails with the 660. But I don't know what those circumstances might be.
To use BaseCamp routes on a Garmin zuno 660 or earlier, use plenty of point to force the route to sue specific roads, then make sure ALL route points are converted to Vias before export to a GPX or transferring to the GPS.

STOC #
Ed Conde of newenglandriders.org has extensive experience with all this stuff. Check out his Basecamp training agenda which is downloadable as a PDF. He still has a zumo 590/595, a 660 and 550. He claims that if you turn off all avoidances, use fastest time, set both Basecamp and the target GPS to maximum map detail and same vehicle type, then use LOTS of Via points on the 660 and earlier, shaping points on the 590 and later Trip Planner models (up to about 100 points per route. If you're using a 660 or earlier make sure all route points are Vias.

Ed has done a very good job. I have also picked up some good info and ideas from you and I thank you.

I am event coordinator for a Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA) rally in Marietta, Ohio USA. We have about 24 GPS routes covering over 4000 miles for our rally. I am in the process of completely redoing the GPX files for this year's event the last week of August. I plan to offer both "Standard" (for Garmin 660 and earlier) and "TP" or Trip Planner version GPX route files for the 590 and later zumos and BMW Nav 5 and 6 models. Check out the EZ Route Finder on the event site at http://flybyweek.com/

Am also working on a best routing practices document for the club including a series of training videos.

Norm Kern

STOC #
John,

Agree with all your comments, and especially appreciate your detailed exploration of the 590/595 models.

For my fellow MSTA members, I recommend that they run rally routes with recalculation turned OFF. If they get off the route, it is easy to zoom out on the map and see how to get back to it, and since it did not recalculate, it will remain intact. I will say that in loading members' assorted GPS units at events, I see many GPS models. Often firmware is not up-to-date and mapset versions are all over the place. Using lots of route points in this case is essential. I find that using the Insert tool to extend, rather than inserting points between a beginning and end of a route makes their placement more strategic and the route more reliable.

The strategy of using lots of Shaping points and just providing a few Via points for TP version users, clearly named with the mileage, gives them the best chance of rejoining a route successfully.

Loading a bright green track as a reference is a good backup, and essential if you are the one leading rides. :cool:

Telling everyone exactly how to set route preferances, avoidances, vehicle type, map detail etc, eliminates a lot of variables and puts everyone on the same page about as well as we can hope for.

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge- it's a large body of work!

Norm

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The strategy of using lots of Shaping points and just providing a few Via points for TP version users, clearly named with the mileage, gives them the best chance of rejoining a route successfully.
Thanks for your comments Norm.

I've only recently come across a few little issues that have either changed in their behaviour, or that I hadn't noticed before.

1. Changing the name to include the mileage is something that I have done for a long time, and it really helps. BUT - it seems that when these names are transferred to the Zumo 590, 595 and XT, the Zumo uses a different name. I can only think that it gets by looking up the coordinates in a database on the Zumo. The only time I can get it to keep my changed names with the mileage included is if the route point is first created as a Waypoint. OR sometimes by fluke if I happen to drop an insert point onto an existing Waypoint. (But I cannot do that reliably).
I think I have probably created a route by creating the key waypoints first, then selecting them and letting Basecamp calculate the route. Then I add insert points. So I probably never noticed the fact that it doesn't keep my names with mileage.

2. Changing a Via Point to a Shaping point on the Zumo itself often causes the location of the point to move - on the XT and on the 595. Not on the 590 though.

3. Pressing Skip on a route seems to cause the entire route to be recalculated, not just the route up to the next route point. I had never noticed this before - mainly we plot routes that should it ever recalculate , it will join up the dots in a similar way to the original. But if it does this AND takes into account traffic data and my riding style, it could well work out something different.

IN your document, you mention the importance of having the unit set up in a similar way to the preferences set up in Basecamp. What you may not be aware of is how the Zumo responds to the route that is loaded.

The Zumo 590 has a number of different settings - car, bike, off-road and also other settings if a route isn't currently active. It remembers these settings. So if you set up routing preferences to be shorter distance for a car, and faster time for a bike - it will remember those settings when you switch it from one mode to the other. Most people will have observed this.
What isn't so well known, is that Basecamp sends only two pieces of information to the Zumo regarding how a route was set up. One is the vehicle type (Bike, Car, Offroad). The other is the routing preferences (Faster Time, Shorter Distance, Curvy Roads).
When the route is transferred, imported and started the Zumo 590 reads these two bits of information from the route file and switches the Zumo into those modes. So no matter how the unit was set up before the route was loaded, if the route file says it is a motorcycle and prefers curvy roads - that is what the route will do. It over-rides what was set in the Zumo before the route was loaded.
The 595 does something similar - except because it has a facility for setting degrees of curviness, it uses the setting for routing preferences that is in the Zumo for the vehicle, rather than what came from Basecamp. (But it still switches to the vehicle type that is set in the route). The Zumo XT does something similar, but not quite the same as the 595.

Loading a bright green track as a reference is a good backup, and essential if you are the one leading rides. :cool:
Yes I often use that trick. I prefer to have recalc turned on, but in Spain, they had so many new roads being built we were routed all over the place and it was difficult to keep track of what the satnav was doing. Having the permanently marked track on the map was a real bonus.

Last edited:
STOC #
Thanks for your comments Norm.

I've only recently come across a few little issues that have either changed in their behaviour, or that I hadn't noticed before.

1. Changing the name to include the mileage is something that I have done for a long time, and it really helps. BUT - it seems that when these names are transferred to the Zumo 590, 595 and XT, the Zumo uses a different name. One that I can only think that it gets by looking up the coordinates in a database on the Zumo. The only time I can get it to keep my changed names with the mileage included is if the route point is first created as a Waypoint. OR sometimes by fluke if I happen to drop an insert point onto an existing Waypoint. (But I cannot do that reliably).
I think I have probably created a route by creating the key waypoints first, then selecting them and letting Basecamp calculate the route. Then I add insert points. So I probably never noticed the fact that it doesn't keep my names with mileage.

Ed Conde of New England Riders recommends creating routes by starting with a single point and adding points to the end to build the route. He says that leads to more reliable routes with more strategically placed points

2. Changing a Via Point to a Shaping point on the Zumo itself often causes the location of the point to move - on the XT and on the 595. Not on the 590 though.

3. Pressing Skip on a route seems to cause the entire route to be recalculated, not just the route up to the next route point. I had never noticed this before - mainly we plot routes that should it ever recalculate , it will join up the dots in a similar way to the original. But if it does this AND takes into account traffic data and my riding style, it could well work out something different.

I address this problem by designing routes that have few Way/Via points, instructing users to set Recalculate to OFF, so if they get off route, they can manually navigate back on. If they miss a Way/Via point at a gas stop, they can restart at the one a few miles further on the route. One could also figure out where they are relative to the route, stop navigation, reload the route and set the appropriate shaping point to alert and restart the route from that point. Very few users are sophisticated enough to do that however.

A simpler instruction for users is to run the track as a reference. If you get off the route, follow the track and hope that when it rejoins the route it starts navigating again

IN your document, you mention the importance of having the unit set up in a similar way to the preferences set up in Basecamp. What you may not be aware of is how the Zumo responds to the route that is loaded.

The Zumo 590 has a number of different settings - car, bike, off-road and also other settings if a route isn't currently active. It remembers these settings. So if you set up routing preferences to be shorter distance for a car, and faster time for a bike - it will remember those settings when you switch it from one mode to the other. Most people will have observed this.
What isn't so well known, is that Basecamp sends only two pieces of information to the Zumo regarding how a route was set up. One is the vehicle type (Bike, Car, Offroad). The other is the routing preferences (Faster Time, Shorter Distance, Curvy Roads).
When the route is transferred, imported and started the Zumo 590 reads these two bits of information from the route file and switches the Zumo into those modes. So no matter how the unit was set up before the route was loaded, if the route file says it is a motorcycle and prefers curvy roads - that is what the route will do. It over-rides what was set in the Zumo before the route was loaded.

Instructing users to set their GPS routing preferences my prescribed standard way eliminates most of these problems.

The 595 does something similar - except because it has a facility for setting degrees of curviness, it uses the setting for routing preferences that is in the Zumo for the vehicle, rather than what came from Basecamp. (But it still switches to the vehicle type that is set in the route). The Zumo XT does something similar, but not quite the same as the 595.

Don't designate curviness, either in BaseCamp or on the GPS- that's just an invitation to trouble.

Yes I often use that trick. I prefer to have recalc turned on, but in Spain, they had so many new roads being built we were routed all over the place and it was difficult to keep track of what the satnav was doing. Having the permanently marked track on the map was a real bonus.

STOC #
On the MSTA GPS Best Practices channel on YouTube, updated a GPS video today
GPS- 4 Comparison of Standard and Trip Planner Routes on Garmin zumo 590

I found myself here on the recommendation of a poster from a discussion of the new Zumo XT. John thanks for the work you put into the document here and making it available to other riders. I'll be a bit trying to absorb some of this, but it will no doubt be helpful in my understanding basecamp.

Bike
BMW R1200 RT
Hello,
I am also hear to learn about the Garmin XT routing tips. Likewise, thanks to all for blazing the trail for me.

OP
OP
jfheath

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The routing tips in the document work well with the XT. But if following the advice about including mileage and day number in the main points, then the XT and the 595 will ignore the name that Basecamp sends it - unless you first create it as a Waypoint with the flag tool.

Please send me a Private Message with an email address if you want to obtain a copy.
Unable to send PM to request the BaseCamp Zumo Document.

I registered in August last year, and never did see the confirmation email, and eventually forgot about it until I was nudged by another member to check again.

Thank You

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Unable to send PM to request the BaseCamp Zumo Document.
That was because you never made a first post after registering. The system restricts your activity until you have made at least one post. This is to ensure that you are a real person and not a computer doing some phishing.

Now that you have made at least one post, you are good to go.

Thank you, but I still can not pm for the zumo BaseCamp pdf request, that user not allowing PM.

Bike
KTM 1290 SAS
Thank you, but I still can not pm for the zumo BaseCamp pdf request, that user not allowing PM.
I'm having the same issue with the PM not showing as an option. I just registered as well. Will the system automatically turn on the "let him PM" option for my account?

A detailed analysis of how the later Zumos (with the Trip Planner App) work together. This is the result of many hours of working out how my Zumo 590 and 595 behave with routes created in Basecamp and results in some recommendations for trouble free route planning.

Updated Spring 2020 to include information relevant to the Zumo 595.

Please send me a Private Message with an email address if you want to obtain a copy. All free. It's just easier to keep up to date this way - and it is apparent that people are joining ST-Owners just to download this document.
John

Thank you for the time you put into this. Myself I have used 550 for years. Came across a free to me 590 and like size better and screen functions much better than 550. However I cannot make the same Basecamp routes pushed down to 550 and route perfect on the 590. Would love to get work if can get copy of your how to doc.

Bike
KTM 1290SAR
A detailed analysis of how the later Zumos (with the Trip Planner App) work together. This is the result of many hours of working out how my Zumo 590 and 595 behave with routes created in Basecamp and results in some recommendations for trouble free route planning.

Updated Spring 2020 to include information relevant to the Zumo 595.

Please send me a Private Message with an email address if you want to obtain a copy. All free. It's just easier to keep up to date this way - and it is apparent that people are joining ST-Owners just to download this document.
Thank you for such extensive work. My 595 becomes a mystery for me every time I try to navigate offroad via points.

Top Bottom