New to Me Tiger 1050

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
It appears that I am now a Tiger 1050 owner.... I have been looking around at different bikes & for a time was seriously considering a Duc Multistrada. Two deals fell out & a third was looking that way when mention was made of the 1050 Tiger being a better choice for many. I remember the original Tiger & have kept up with the development & reliability of the triple powerplant.

So, I started looking around for one to look at as a sample. In addition, I joined the Tiger forum & printed various ones for sale on Craigslist & Cycle trader. The closest one was in Escondido. Priced higher than I wanted to pay but worth a look at least. I rode down, looked at it closely, sat on it, all without any sales person attention whatever. Even started the engine--still nothing.... Finally a sales guy shows up & we talked a bit. Seems he had worked for the Triumph dealer up the street for a few years & new a lot about them. He talked me into taking it for a ride just to see if it might be of interest.

The bike rode nice & when I got back I told the sales guy that, yeah, it was nice but priced too high & I could find one a year newer with fewer miles for the same money. That one would have to be a lot cheaper to make me get it. As luck would have it, it ended up being a lot cheaper & I did get it.

Deal was finalized today but they still have some things to take care of & I have to get a ride down there probably next week sometime. That & somewhere to put it when I get it home. Then the real work starts....

The bike??? Oh, it's an '07, black with several additions. Already ordered a couple of bits for it also.

Could be a touring mount for at least a couple of trips this year, too. :D

Bike
99 ST1100
Oh, Congrats! I'm SO jealous! I love my ST but the Tiger or maybe the Tenere is next on my list to add to the stable. Of course, the next bike I get will bring my total up to TWO!:D

Have fun - get it dirty and keep it that way!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Good luck with the new ride. It sure is smoother than the Ducati! I like the 800 better, just something about the old back and getting a leg over. These are one of the few bikes I could see replacing the ST. I'm a bit older and there are times the weight of the ST is a problem.

Tom

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Great! The Tiger 1050 was on my short list in 2008 but when I sat on one I realized I'd need surgical leg extensions (or platform soles) to plant my feet on the ground. Too bad...that triple is a sweet mill. Quite smooth, tons of torque, and a wonderful noise. Enjoy.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Oh My Larry!! That is to cool! :bow1: Hey you know I could store that bike for you and stretch it's legs every once in a while for no charge! :D
Hey I could give you a ride down there on the back of my ST :dr112:

I also have the time off for Moonshine and NatSToc.

See you soon Larry.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I've been doing 4-5000 mile road tripsa year for the last 3 years with a buddy who has a Tiger. It is a sweet bike and handles well. You'll enjoy it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I suppose Tigers scare away Racoons... lol

Very cool Larry, congrats!

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
That one would have to be a lot cheaper to make me get it. As luck would have it, it ended up being a lot cheaper & I did get it. :D
That line sounds like it's straight from an old black & white comedy! :crackup

Congratulations Larry! There's this little voice in my head telling me that you bought this with intentions of following Mike Brown or George off of the beaten path. :burnout:ukflag1:

Hope you have it under you at one of the events this year for me to see.

OP
OP
VFR

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Wow!!!! I wasn't expecting this much interest. The bike has good wind protection for the head & shoulders, but a little light at the legs. I told the salesman that if it rains, I will probably get wet. Good thing I just bought another rain suit.....

Nope, haven't gotten rid of anything----yet.... That said, I need to move at least a couple of bikes, probably the Blackbird & Aprilia. VFR--Not A Chance!!!! I'm gonna give the Yamaha to Ollie--he needs a sportbike.

I won't actually have the bike in possession for a week or more, then I plan to take it apart to familiarize myself with it's insides. I bought another set of front forks to take apart so I can see how to revalve & respring. The front springs seem to be very light on these & the valving needs to be set almost full damping on both--a clear indication of soft. The front dives hard on strong braking & is really twitchy.

Need to ride with AZ Bob & Big Tom to see how it compares the the Strom. I usually take a run to Tucson on a new bike first thing as a check run.

All told, I think it will be a nice addition--hopefully raccoon proof too.... If not, it already has crash bars. :D

I probably shouldn't say this, but it has heated grips & hand guards. Need to get the grips off there, bad for my image.....

fundyrider

Go Your Own Way
Bike
Trophy 1200
STOC #
Salesman I bought my Trophy from was bound and determined to sell me a Tiger a couple of years ago, it was white if I recall, was hard to resist, love the Tiger. The new Trophy will be harder to resist when if goes into production. Enjoy tour new mount.

I purchased the non-ABS '07 Tiger new and really enjoyed it. Recently sold it and purchased an ST. The Tiger was great for moderate runs, but like you mentioned, a little light on the wind protection for long hauls. That said, I routinely rode it 14hrs one way to Florida. Never had nary a problem in five years of ownership.

My only complaint was the FI throttle transition wasn't so good, even after going to the race tuning. I just read on another forum there is a new FI mapping available. It might be worth checking out.

How'd you do on price? I sold mine for $6800 w/ bags, centerstand, Zumo 450 installed, and 15k on the clock.

-r0b-

Top Bottom