New to Me Tiger 1050

OP
OP
VFR

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Tiger update:
I pulled the forks & shock off for a spring & valve rework while I went to Moonshine. That really made a difference!! Took a ride down to North County to Motoport & ran some of my favorite roads down there for a test afterwards. I told the guy that did the forks that he had achieved the elusive Magic Carpet Ride. It just floats over the choppy SoCal pavement now & the front doesn't dive on braking. He set it up soft & the new shock spring gives me lots of preload for when I have it packed.

I got an HID for the low beam, new horns, driving lights & some other stuff so I need to wire in an aux fuse panel, wire loom to the new front relay panel to make it all work.

Bike
99 ST1100
About the only real complaint I've heard is abrupt off/on throttle response. Have you experienced this?

OP
OP
VFR

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
About the only real complaint I've heard is abrupt off/on throttle response. Have you experienced this?

Well, it does but that is common to fuel injected bikes. I bought another ECM & flashed the newest map to it. That made a bit of difference but not much. I've learned that it just takes a deft hand on the throttle. Bumpy roads are really fun....

I bought a set of Givi soft bags some time ago & found out afterwards that they need to be rack mounted, so I put them back in the box. Now that I have racks on the Tiger, I pulled them out & found to my surprise that they are missing part of the attaching straps. Now I have to go track those down.....

It is a very nice bike & I will take a trip or several on it.

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
Nicely done Larry! I missed the original posting, sorry for being so late to acknowledge..I am really looking forward to reading your thoughts on the new ride as you gain seat time. The Triumph line certainly is interesting and their planned additions for next yr should only add to the mix. Hopefully you'll show up in CalStoc on it, will be nice to spend time pouring over it and hearing your thoughts and comments with additional miles and perhaps modifications under your belt.

I wish you countless miles of safe and trouble free riding...enjoy and keep us informed. Seems as if, lots of St'ers are expressing interest in Triumph...maybe an opportunity for Joe to fire up another site...LOL

Doug / JammaMan

OP
OP
VFR

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
You're not late, Doug, it's an ongoing thing, as most bikes end up being. I got the new aux fuse panel, wire loom & terminal strip up front done, added LOUD horns & got the GPS & radar detector mounted. I started to install the expensive set of HID aux lights & found to my surprise that they didn't fit the expensive mount I bought from England. So, got another set of expensive lights that didn't fit either.... That's about way my life goes.... I may buy the SW Motech light mount from Twisted Throttle when I order the MRA windshield for the VFR to replace the one on there that now seems to have a bite out of it. Not a clue how or when that happened....

On the whole, I like the bike. Lowering seems to be the most popular mod--a necessity if you are short of inseam. I can flatfoot it with the Corbin seat but not with the reworked stocker. The suspension rework was probably the most impressive thing for me. I found a local guy that actually knows something about suspension instead of how to change parts. I got him to rework the stock valving & install Honda F3 base valves, which it turns out, flow the same as the expensive Racetech valves. I thought they did but wasn't really sure. They really did the job on the VFR so I thought they should work equally well on the Tiger.

Just have to get the soft bags to fit & I'll be set. I've been working about like 970 Mike lately so haven't had the time to even check on how to get the missing straps. I guess I could go with Big Tom's ammo cans but I'm basically a soft bag kind of guy.

I hope you get your bike fully repaired, Doug. That's another reason I like soft bags,they don't scratch or break when you fall on 'em. That 800 Tiger is a really nice bike. I sat on one at the IMS when they came out but I can't afford a new bike--have to go with those old used ones, ya know... I can buy more that way, unlike some that have several new ones.

Hope to see you out here in the fall.

Top Bottom