Two Up Camping?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I believe it all depends on the girl (errrr person) that you are taking camping with you. I had a girlfriend many years ago that would get on the back of my Harley with only a handbag and slept with me in my big sleeping bag (she weighed 95 lbs, I then weighed 165) Now, my wife needs a RV camper to carry her "things" so 2 up with her on the ST ain't happnin.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Thanks Mellow, I was looking at the Limelight 3p but like that REI better. It has 14 more square feet. I need all the room I can get. As far as the poles. I think I have room for a tool tube like PVC thingy (home made) on the inside of my left pannier bracket. I could put the poles there then hope the tent packs smaller.

I have Trekker bags 46L I think. Has anyone tried stuffing tents and stuff in there without putting them in bags. Seem like you could utilize every square inch? Or do you think they would take up less space in compression bags?

(she weighed 95 lbs, I then weighed 165) Now, my wife needs a RV camper to carry her "things" so 2 up with her on the ST ain't happnin.
I weigh real real close to that by myself. :eek:: I have only researched sleeping bags and pads a little. Are the mummy bags real confining? I assume I need a larger one. Going at this slowly as I have already spent my allowance for the next few months. Tire changer and balancer.

We also have an RV, well actually a toy hauler. It's nice for extended stays. For instance we stay at the BRG for two weeks. However we have been thinking that if we did some tent camping we would be able to go more often on weekend getaways.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have Trekker bags 46L I think. Has anyone tried stuffing tents and stuff in there without putting them in bags. Seem like you could utilize every square inch? Or do you think they would take up less space in compression bags?
I would be afraid of tearing the material trying to get it in there or take it out. Without the poles, you can put the tent in a compression back or even the bag it came in and bend it to fit the size of the 46L. The Trekkers will leak so best to keep everything in some type of individual bag if possible. The tool tube thing is nice... just don't forget to pack the poles ... would not be a fun campout. LOL

I use mummy bags but my preference is a bag that kelty makes called the Hoody. it's a rectactular back with a mummy-type zip off section so you get the best of both worlds.. BUT, it packs twice the size of my mummy. So, sometimes I'll take one bag and sometimes the other but I'm never 2-up so I can afford that convenience.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Wondering how much your mileage drops with the trailer?
Last year I went to BRG and had to haul two tents, two sleeping bags, two army cots (real ones the old heavy ones) and dutch ovens, tent stakes and tools. Got around 38 mpg. Yes it was fun though!!!!

I believe it all depends on the girl (errrr person) that you are taking camping with you. I had a girlfriend many years ago that would get on the back of my Harley with only a handbag and slept with me in my big sleeping bag (she weighed 95 lbs, I then weighed 165) Now, my wife needs a RV camper to carry her "things" so 2 up with her on the ST ain't happnin.
Maybe you need to go back to the girlfriend.:crackup

Bike
2006 ST1300
Wondering how much your mileage drops with the trailer?
If I keep it under 60mph I only lose about 10%. Going 45 on the BRP the milage was the same as no trailer. Over 70 I loose almost 20% on mpg. I pull a Bustech trailer and most of the time I don't even feel the bike pulling it. Of course on an 800cc it would be different.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think by substituting a Revpack Excursion Pack instead of a top box, you would have plenty of room to tour 2-up. Below is a picture of mine on my pillion seat, but it would work on the rear rack instead. That is where I put it on my 1100 when I went to Kentucky and it worked well. If it was as far back as the rack, I'd try to put the heavier items in the side bags and keep lighter stuff up high. Definitely a quality bag, never had a problem with water getting in. It comes with a rain cover, but I've never needed it for mild to moderate rain.

Take the advice of the others about what to pack. You obviously wouldn't have room for several changes of clothes each, but by selecting clothes that can perform multiple duties, and pack small, you should be able to fit everything. See if you can fit everything each of you needs into a side case- one case for each of you- then the bag can hold the larger camping gear. The bonus of packing this way is that once you set up camp, the bag will be empty and off the bike, making it easier to sight see and do day rides, while your clothes stay packed and with you.

Bike
2003 ST1300
We did this last year when we went to camp in Manning Park, not so smart as we didn't think about it until we got up there but there was still snow on the ground up the highway but it proved to be an exciting and interesting trip. It poured for the 5 hour ride to camp but stopped for the 45 mins it took us to setup our camp. We stayed dry due to the ST's awesome weather protection and our gear and stayed more than warm enough on the trip up due to our Gerbing Heated Gear. It was colder and wetter at camp than on the bike in the rain there.

Our Ride: 2003 ST, with standard saddlebags and Pan Rear trunk. We had not external racks or things packed on top of the bike. As we were going to a Wedding (Camping Wedding, it was awesome) we did not bring a stove (but brought everything else required for camping.)

We fit everything that we needed, and had a blast. The biggest problem that we had was not with space but keeping the bike below the maximum weight limit. We maxed out everything (bags, trunk, etc...) as per the manufacturers maximum weight capacities and set off with some space left over.

The bike itself handled very well for the weight it was carrying, but it did handle like a ripe old pig compared to how it normally handles. Then again, we normally don't set any speed records (especially 2-up.)

If we were to do it again I would invest in better back-packing gear. The gear that I have is already relatively compact (smaller than anyone normally uses car camping) and is back-packable (I've done bicycle camping trips with it.) I would invest in lighter (smaller) more efficient gear. Mainly a lighter tent, stove and sleeping bags.

Bike
2006 ST1300
We fit everything that we needed, and had a blast. The biggest problem that we had was not with space but keeping the bike below the maximum weight limit. We maxed out everything (bags, trunk, etc...) as per the manufacturers maximum weight capacities and set off with some space left over.
The specifications are a joke...I think very few limit their packing to that weight. I can exceed it just by myself with a week's worth of gear. The ST will handle it just fine. Most have come to the conclusion that weight was decided on by lawyers working for Honda to make sure they were covered.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Most have come to the conclusion that weight was decided on by lawyers working for Honda to make sure they were covered.
I guess that leads to a question for me then, how much do people weigh up on their bikes then? How much over the maximum weight limit is too much? I've never felt comfortable over-loading a vehicle, and other than the ST never got close. I was actually very surprised how fast you reach the weight limit when considering how much the Honda luggage can actually hold.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Below is a pic of my wife and I. I'm 6'4", was 300 lbs. then. My wife is shorter, but...ummm...not a dainty woman. We had a weekend's worth of stuff packed including her CPAP machine. We were WAY over weight. And we have done spirited rides on fun roads packed the same way. I don't have numbers to give you...but the ST is a sturdy bike.

299453_282135465138895_131247460227697_1112058_1874977343_n.jpg

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I'm 250#, my GF is about 125#. we put about 50# worth of stuff in the panniers. The rest goes in the trailer, which weights about 250# when it's full. The bike feels heavier, but still spirited.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
yeah, but what's the tongue weight for the trailer. That's what matters for the bike load limits more than trailer total weight.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
yeah, but what's the tongue weight for the trailer. That's what matters for the bike load limits more than trailer total weight.
Yeah you're right! Maybe 60-70 pounds on the hitch. But since it's a monowheel trailer, it leans as you turn, so you kind of feel it as a whole, unlike a conventional trailer which pushes and pulls, but does not lean. By itself, the trailer feels as if a 12 year old kid was riding pillion I guess.

We do it all the time......

Used to go like this.......

or..... like this.....

or....this.....

Everything we needed!

Now like this...........

But the jury's still out on the trailer...not sure I like it..... We've lapped California, lapped Colorado, lapped Nova Scotia and the Gaspe Penisula', all two-up camping from our home in Washington State. To paraphrase an Old Army Ranger saying, "Go light, freeze at night!" :D

Last edited:

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Have to agree with ya Cousin Jack. Used to do the tent thingie but now it's 'campin-n-comfort. And the jury isn't out for me-the tent is still in storage!!!!!!!!

Attachments

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I pull a Kompact Kamp, there is enough room for everything!
Same here. Pull a Mini-Mate by Kompact Kamp and have room to spare. When I first started pulling this camper I also packed my tent just in case I didn't like it but never pulled it out from under the bunk.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I pull a Kompact Kamp, there is enough room for everything!
For you and rjs987, do you have any problem seeing out your mirrors over the back of your units?? I don't know the width of yours, but I couldn't see behind mine. I corrected the problem with some brackets (that replace the brackets on the brake/clutch master cylinders) and mounted some taller mirrors on them. Has really worked out great. When I get home or am staying in one place and out riding for the day, I take them off and put the factory ones back on. It's less than a 5 minute job. Easy, easy!!!

Top Bottom