Two Up Camping?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I don't see anything on here of anybody camping two up. Does anyone do it? We wouldn't require any cooking gear as we enjoy eating out. Looks like I'm looking at a 3-4 person tent, two sleeping bags and mattresses. Has anyone gotten all this plus essentials on one bike with a pillion? My bike has fairly big bags, but I guess I would have to strap stuff to them anyway as I won't have the rear seat as an option. Should only be for long weekends and such.

Is this feasible?

I read Joe's camping tutorial thing on ADV-Owners but thought I might get more responses here about the two people part.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's possible. I think a rack on the top of your topbox if you have one would help and probably even better without a top box. One good sized duffel on the rear rack will hold a tent, air mattresses/sleeping bags but you'll want down sleeping bags for their ability to compress for packing. It really depends on the gear you get and how small it packs.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Alot of it comes down to the people and how light they can really pack and the weather. In warmer times you don't need the bulky clothing, heavier sleeping bags and such. This saves a lot of space and can make it a case where it went from impossible to doable. I know in the military you could pack everything and the kitchen sink if you want. Keep in mind that there isn't going to be anyone to help you carry it though. Oh and don't forget that you also need to carry squad gear (radios, ammo, food and water). That said my packs would go from 60lbs or so in the summer to 120-130lbs in the winter. Also keep in mind that the smaller and lighter something is the more expensive the item is as well as many times durability may go down. So if it is a critical bit of equipment, you may have to weigh size vs cost and can I live without it. If you can live without it maybe it should stay at home anyhow.

I assume you are talking about your Tiger. Is there a top box or is it possible to expand storage to there? It will help a lot.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
If you like to be comfortable whilst camping 2-up, I recommend a trailer or UPS'ing the light, but bulky items to a UPS Store near your destination or to the actual campground. The trailer works best if you are going to camp at multiple sites on one trip.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
DParker and I did it for NatSTOC 2011 during an 8 day trip. She was given one side bag, I had the other side bag and the shared stuff went in the top box (incl laptop). The only thing strapped on the outside was the tent (Eureka Mountain Pass 3XTE) in a dry bag and my tank bag for water and misc small stuff. Pack light, pack tight and only take what you really need and it can be done easily. Learn/teach that you only really need the basics and not every possible creature comfort. If you motel it, you can pack even less.

Jeans take up a lot of space so find alternative pants. Pack enough clothes for what you wear plus 2 changes - wash clothes while on the road as needed. Sleeping bags must compress well - we use Eureka Silver City bags. BA inflatable sleeping pads pack tight. Inflatable pillows. No extra shoes besides shower sandals/flip flops. Think before you pack it.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Lonna and I did it for CampSTOC (11) 3 days and NatSTOC(12) for 9 days. We did it much the same as Randy with a side bag each. Sleeping bags, small camp stove, few tools,2 big agnes air matress, laptop, towels etc. in the top case. Tent and small cooler strapped on the outside. Use compression bags,straps and get sleeping bags that will compress small, we used Marmot Minimalist. Other than that pack light and plan on washing clothes on the rd. Dry fit or similar shirts and underwear, light weight pants with zip off legs are comfortable and dry quickly even if hand washed.
It would be difficult to do when the weather is cooler as both clothes and sleeping bags would be much bulkier.

The wife & I did camp two up years ago. We didn't do any cooking but for the life of me I don't know how we did it or where we put everything.2week trips out west. 2 man tent,2 sleeping bags,2 Themarest pads etc. Used 2 old suit cases on the luggage rack. Throw over saddle bags & a tank bag on my Suzuki GS1000GT. I remember the wife had to take one of those big steam hair curlers with her. Back then my riding jacket was a denim one.... no ATGATT other than a helmet,gloves & a Kmart rain suit that lasted about 20miles. Good ole days.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Thanks for the replies.

We should have no problem traveling in a minimalist fashion. My bike has two 46L bags and one 33L. I can get a rack for the top of the top box if necessary, however I don't want to load it up too heavy there. I may have to rework the mount.

What I have learned so far is that there are way too many choices and this stuff is expensive. Gotta keep reading.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
www.geartrade.com is a site I used once to get a really nice discount on a 4 season tent - ended up being about 40% off retail and it looked new.

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
How much money do you want to spend? In the backpacking world, smaller/lighter usually means more $ or make your own. Lots of good tips given.

I really save a lot of room by using quick dry (e.g. nylon, poly, etc.) clothing. If showers are available, at the end of the day, jump in the shower with everything on but your boots, then start stripping and washing what you just wore all day. Shampoo or body wash works great. Wring out, hang up to dry (the clothes that is), then put on your other set. The just washed items will be dry by morning.

Small alcohol stove and freeze dried or similar food (e.g.instant oatmeal, Lipton noodle packages, etc.) don't take up much space or eat out. Spend some time on backpacking sites or go to your library and read Backpacker magazine and you will find tons of tips that apply to motorcycle camping as both require light and small.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I think pulling a trailer two up with an 800cc bike might be a little much. I also looked at it yesterday and a trailer hitch would be huge to get to the frame as the bike has long travel suspension. Don't know if it could be hooked to the swing arm or not. I would love to pull a camper trailer though. Going to have to wait until I get GW age. :) We don't need any cooking gear, we like to eat out.

I do have another question though. How do you get towels and wash cloths to dry out in time for packing? Any special ones?

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Answered myself. Quick dry camping towels.
Yup.. MSR makes some. I have one that's lasted a long time and it dries fast.

+1 on the comments about clothes. I wear the nylon cargo style pants vs jeans as they are about 1/3 the volume to pack and if they get wet or you have to wash them they dry fairly quick vs a pair of jeans.

If it's just a weekend, how many close do you need? :D

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
I haven't had to cope with 2 up, however, I am living proof that using compression bags, roc straps, inventiveness, you can carry enough for a family of 4, on a GL 18000 you may be the object of jokes, cell phone pics and big smiles as you pass cage dwellers upon the highway....if room is a limitation, think small, there are many gadgets, devices, that allow comfort, practicality, which enable you to join the camping follies...best of luck, ride safe and enjoy!

Doug/AG5I

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Your main packing dilemma with 2-up camping will be sleeping bags. Everything else is much more easily managed. Sleeping bags take up a lot of space.

1 - Tent
When looking at a tent, look for the 'compressed size' as that will tell you the length of the pole sections. Some of the 2 person tents have pole sections as short as 16"-18" which gives you a lot of options on where you pack your tent. Once you get into the 3 and 4 person tents you get into pole sections that are 24" and longer and means you will end up packing the tent on top of whatever bag you're using on the rear luggage rack - which is fine.
Get AT LEAST a 3-person tent and I would suggest 4-person. The REI Half Dome 4 is a nice one. Go to Campmor to see some nice cheaper 4-person tents. You want a bigger tent to help with moving around inside and making things comfortable and not cramped.

2 - Sleeping Pads
As everyone here already knows, I'm a big fan of the Exped mattresses and they are incredible. Having to buy two is tough. There are alternatives that are not as good but may be good enough for a weekend trip. Just depends on how cold it will be. There are many 3-4" thick non-insulated air mattresses which will be 'okay'. Don't go any ticker than 4" for a non-insulated air mattress as it will suck your bodyheat trying to warm up that air volume and may do more harm than good. You may also want to bring an extra couple of fleece blankets to put between the tent floor and your air mattress as an extra barrier against cold. IMPORTANT - if you can, make sure your air mattresses are AT LEAST 24 inches wide... anything smaller and most folks hang off the side of them, and if you're touching the floor of the tent you're taking away all the benefits of having a mattress to begin with.

3 - Sleeping bags
20 degree down bags.. that's it. I haven't found much difference between a 0 degree and 20-ish degree sleeping bag - again, I use the exped air mattress so if you skimp on the air mattress you may have to pay a bit more on sleeping bags.
PACKED SIZE is something to think about here when camping 2-up. The stats that many sleeping bags show are a bit conservative and I have bought some I returned because the packed size was no where near what was stated. Compression bags help to cut the size down a lot. THESE items will be your biggest issue with packing but, this is also what you're sleeping in and needs to be comfortable, warm and big enough for you. Some, offer the option to zip 2 bags together so keep your eyes out for that. The Kelty Cosmic 20 degree bag shows an 8x13 packed size. So, two of these would fit in a typical duffel and maybe 2 air mattresses as well as sandals or some other misc stuff. Then, strap your tent on top of the duffel. That was my first quick search and there are 100s of them out there so keep looking 'til you can't look anymore and write down the things that are important and list the bags that match those requirements.

You should be able to pack your camping hotel on just the luggage rack of your bike, leaving saddlebags/tankbag for everything else, if you have a top box, leave it at home.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom