If Honda asked for input on a new ST what would you suggest?

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
I'll start, I couldn't find a previous thread so forgive me if this is a duplicate.

Adds to current design: Inverted forks that are FULLY ADJUSTABLE, dual 6 piston front brakes, Cruise as standard as this platform is designed for the long trippers. I'm sure I've missed a few but, that's kind of the point of this thread.
:bigpop: hoping this one is good.

Better quality adjustable suspension, 6 speed transmission (the 1300 always felt a little short-geared to me), stability improvement, updated features like standard heated grips, cruise, driving modes (with TCS), TPMS, LED lighting, etc.. The instrumentation could do with some visibility improvements. Maybe a 20% or so bump in power, just to remain competitive - not that it's really needed.

Not much ---- 1) Cruise
2) One Piece Low Gas Tank (like the ST1100)
3) Better dash lighting & displays

I probably wouldn't want to spend the $ on a new moto unless I win the lotto, but air adjustable forks would be nice whether inverted or not, like the ones on my C10 Concours were. Hydraulic lifters to eliminate valve shim replacements to adjust clearances would be a no-brainer, as well as cruise control and traction control as standard equipment would all top my list of essentials on a revamped ST.

1. Better seat
2. Better seat
3. Better seat
4. Cruise Control
5. Better shield that doesn't create back pressure
6. Factory Powerlet outlets
7. OEM Top box readily available in the US through local dealers
8. Offer a non P model white option

I spoke with a Honda rep directly from California at Americade last weekend. I demo rode a VFR800 and a CBR650f and we chatted for a good ten minutes. I told him I've had six Hondas and loved them all and asked where the next sport tourer is.....I even suggested the 800's bodywork on the VFR1200's running gear. Long story short, they feel it's a diminishing market and don't hold your breath. Seems they are headed toward adventure bikes...........I told him I have no interest. What's next for me, I'm not sure.....but it won't be a chrome roadblock or a 700 pound dirt bike.

BTW - the 800 was really nice, slightly taller screen and bar risers and I'd be there........but the passenger accommodations are a deal breaker for me

Last edited:
Interesting topic.....Honda never asks for input on ANYTHING.......however, Yamaha, has sent me numerous e-mails and even mail about how I like my FJR and what I would want changed on it....refreshing...........ff

Honda doesn't really care about the ST market, which is too bad because I purchased a 2014 BMW RT1200 that does the things I had wished my ST would have done.
Honda's market seems to be small bikes for the Indian and Chinese markets. They have 3 bike manufacturing facilities in India and the American market is something that they don't seem to be interested anymore. Fine.

I still have my ST with 91,000 miles, but Honda has become an also-ran for motorcycles now. Heck, their dealers don't even have an ST on the floor, but the multi-line dealers have FJR's and Concours on the floor. Those same dealers are also Honda dealers and they don't show the ST because it is no longer a competitive bike in the sport touring market. Face it; the FJR or RT or Concours are better choices now.

Where's that popcorn icon?

I'm sorry, the only popcorn smiley available is the one from 2012. I'm working on a new popcorn smiley however, for economic and business reasons, I'm focusing my popcorn smiley product line towards 3rd world countries because there's more volume and overall profit associated with that segment. It's also a smaller popcorn smiley with not as much popcorn but just as much fun. I did release a retro-popcorn smiley however it's more money and a bit space-age looking so not sure how that will go over. Once I reap all the profits I can from the smaller popcorn smiley niche, I will consider jumping back into the development/production of an updated popcorn smiley for here.

This View attachment 165139

attachment.php

The rep did say that they had an ST replacement very well along in development when they basically pulled the plug on it due to the market.....

I'm sorry, the only popcorn smiley available is the one from 2012. I'm working on a new popcorn smiley however, for economic and business reasons, I'm focusing my popcorn smiley product line towards 3rd world countries because there's more volume and overall profit associated with that segment. It's also a smaller popcorn smiley with not as much popcorn but just as much fun. I did release a retro-popcorn smiley however it's more money and a bit space-age looking so not sure how that will go over. Once I reap all the profits I can from the smaller popcorn smiley niche, I will consider jumping back into the development/production of an updated popcorn smiley for here.
Joe, have you had much sleep lately?

Honda never asks for input on ANYTHING

I remember getting a mailer from American Honda asking what options were important on sport touring bikes....I think it was 5-6 years ago :confused: I guess nothing is going to come of it?

Back
Top Bottom