Other things powered by Honda......what have you seen???.

By far coolest transplant I've ever heard of, Valkyrie engine in an old Ford tractor.

http://www.marvinbaumann.com/valkyrie.html

10_big.jpg

Just a fun side post. What other things have you seen that were powered by a Honda?? :06biker:

This is powered by a Honda V45 motorcycle engine. Read the sign for all the details!
RH Collier was my father.
ToddC
_20160911_145013.jpg _20160911_145035.jpg _20160910_190237.jpg
Wow, Todd. That's too cool. What a labor of love. Turned out awesome.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Wow, Todd. That's too cool. What a labor of love. Turned out awesome.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Thanks for reading....my dad was very patient. He had a 1980 Goldwing that made the cover of the GW Road Riders monthly mag. also.

ToddC

Pretty cool stuff. Besides my Honda bikes and Autos... I have a Honda Generator and my zero turn riding mower is powered by Honda. Pretty low on the "cool" scale...

When the Kohler motor, in my JD400, went south several years ago, I was faced with the decision as to what to do next....junk it or replace motor. I had seen ads for installing a Honda motor in lawn mowers. So that's what I did. Local shop did the install. Installed a 24hp Honda motor and gave that old mower a whole new life. Expensive, but no regrets.

Looks like entire block with prop gear box attached:
Nice concept, I do wonder though how the oil circuit of a car engine copes with the varying positions during flight??

Just like using a Subara engine on your plane, Honda never certified this as an aircraft engine. So if a failure, don't look to them for any law-suit insurance claims.
Rotax engines are sometimes used on small light helicopters... according to Rotax, for plane use only (no use on rotorcrafts with an in-flight driven rotor, ie. helicopter, gyro copter is fine). Failure and death, you are on your own.

Nice concept, I do wonder though how the oil circuit of a car engine copes with the varying positions during flight??

Is it possible they converted it over to a dry sump system, that would be my guess.

Many small, single engine GA aircraft are powered by wet sump engines - I'm talking about non aerobatic Cessnas, etc. These planes typically will have carburetors - which, along with a wet sump don't perform all that well when inverted. While I don't know a whole lot about the design of airplanes' wet sumps, it would be easy to deal with most attitudes of non aerobatic flight by designing a deep sump with baffles, and perhaps a flexible pick-up tube (aka flop tube). The Cessna I learned in had a conventional dip stick, and I assumed, a wet sump. Believe me, I was more afraid of inverted flight than the engine was.....

My boss and friend from 20 years ago converted a Cessna 150 to use a Honda CRX engine. I believe he built a few for EAA friends.

Ashley

Back
Top Bottom