M77 Replaces Moly 60- Apparently So

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Brought my own Moly jar to the place that put on my rear tire. These guys do a large portion of LAPDs bikes tires, and I had to teach him about changing the spline grease and what to use and why - as drilled into me by Larry

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I finally got a chance to ask my local Honda dealership about the infamous Moly 77. He assured me that is what they use every time for rear drive line splines. I asked him about molybdenum content and he seemed knowledgeable.
I wasn't talking to any mechanics, but this individual is the one who gets the parts etc ,for the mechanics.
I still went ahead and got a jar of LB 8012 :) Cost me $43 Canadian dollars after taxes. I'll apply some the next time my tire is off, OR , if I have some time and energy to rip it apart again. :) Not so easy for me to bend down anymore.....
PS......I'm going to try the nickel trick sometime soonjust to see :)

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I finally got a chance to ask my local Honda dealership about the infamous Moly 77. He assured me that is what they use every time for rear drive line splines. I asked him about molybdenum content and he seemed knowledgeable. I wasn't talking to any mechanics, but this individual is the one who gets the parts etc ,for the mechanics.
It's kind of funny ( or maybe sad ) about sales or service people who confidently tell you they've never had an issue or problem with a product they're trying to sell you. I was at a Home Depot asking about paint for aluminum siding that has gone chalky and the sales rep confidently recommended a product saying he'd never had any issues or complaints about it. When I asked how long he'd been in the paint department he saId 6 weeks....... I suspect dealers pushing Moly 77 as a replacement for Moly 60 never have issues because by the time the splines crap out they have moved on or the bike has been sold to an owner who deals with a different dealer etc......

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
End Game! ...This product should be used whenever the service manual recommends applying molybdenum disulfide GREASE.... Which according to the Honda Element, CRV, and various other Honda vehicles, are on the back of the brake pads etc.
I've not seen a Factory Service Manual for an ST that recommended grease on their splines.
I've replaced 3 driveshaft assemblies in the last year due to spline damage. All the bikes were serviced by Authorized Honda shops.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I was at a Home Depot asking about paint for aluminum siding that has gone chalky and the sales rep confidently recommended a product saying he'd never had any issues or complaints about it.
Actually, the "chalking" of aluminum siding is intentional. That's what makes it "self-cleaning" as rain washes over it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I like my popcorn with real butter not margarine or buttery-flavor oil.

The pic seems to conflate paste and grease most obviously naming the product paste and labeling it grease on the tube in the pic within the pic unlike this pic:

So did something slip by copy editor in the above Honda text? Or is it a conspiracy
on Honda's part to replace a capable product with an alleged inferior one?

Do the Honda Element CRV Pilot etc have an application requiring molybdenum disulfide PASTE? Do there respective manuals differentiate between paste and grease?

I store my popcorn in the fridge in an airtight container and prefer popping it in a pan not the microwave. Lightly salted and buttered. No cheddar chili or kale flavoring. And I hear it calling.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Actually, the "chalking" of aluminum siding is intentional. That's what makes it "self-cleaning" as rain washes over it.
Yes, I'm aware of this. However, I'm at a point where the siding is 31 years old and 1/2 of it looks milky white all the time. Cleaning it is just a temporary solution. Siding in good condition and not going to be replaced, but cleaned and then painted.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Yes, I'm aware of this. However, I'm at a point where the siding is 31 years old and 1/2 of it looks milky white all the time. Cleaning it is just a temporary solution. Siding in good condition and not going to be replaced, but cleaned and then painted.
what's the aluminum content of the siding??

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The pic seems to conflate paste and grease most obviously naming the product paste and labeling it grease on the tube in the pic within the pic unlike this pic:

(Pic deleted)

So did something slip by copy editor in the above Honda text? Or is it a conspiracy
on Honda's part to replace a capable product with an alleged inferior one?
The picture that Larry posted is from the document that I attached to post #1. This picture is of a tube of Honda Canada Moly 77 which is sold by Honda Canada. It is manufactured for them by PolySci Technologies. This version of Moly 77 is labeled as grease. It is sold by Honda Canada and not available in the U.S..

The picture that you posted is the Honda M-77 that is sold by Honda US. It is labeled as paste. This product is not available in Canada.

As far as I know, despite being over 300 posts, we never established if the two are the same product packaged differently, the same product made by two different manufacturers or if they are in fact two different chemical compositions.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
As far as I know, despite being over 300 posts, we never established if the two are the same product packaged differently, the same product made by two different manufacturers or if they are in fact two different chemical compositions.
I was thinking similarly if not as methodically. And it did cause a slight irritation in a lobe to consider going through the posts again. But what I did focus on was the fact that 'interviewing' anyone from Honda would probably not be particularly eventful.

Something approaching a definitive answer would require at least getting a sample of each and have 'the lab' analyze and compare them. Maybe Abby could use the Mass Spec but she's gone now and I wouldn't know whom to trust. A mystery for the ages.

Bike
VStrom 650
Go on then, I'm having a quiet 5 mins with a mug of Joe.
The M77 I purchased in UK is labelled paste.
The Loctite I purchased is also labelled paste.
When you compare the two visually there is little difference, although the M77 does seem to be a little thinner, but this may be because it is difficult to mix in the tube.
I use Locatite on my splines, the brush makes it easier to use but the M77 is used on brakes etc.
When I didn't have the loctite and had to use M77, it did about 6000 miles on the M77, it didn't explode and the sun came up just fine.
The Loctite is ridiculously expensive over here. Someone could make a living out of shipping it East to us poor right siders.
Upt'North.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I like my popcorn with real butter not margarine or buttery-flavor oil...
I store my popcorn in the fridge in an airtight container and prefer popping it in a pan not the microwave. Lightly salted and buttered. No cheddar chili or kale flavoring. And I hear it calling.
But do use coconut oil to pop your corn?
If not, you're not getting the best flavor. :bigpop:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I agree with the statement that we shouldn't always take what the salespeople say to the bank. But in the case where I spoke with the honda dealership shop clerk , he's the one who gets the mechanics all the parts, grease etc for them when they need/ask for it , you would think that if the mechanics didn't think much of the new Moly 77 replacement , they would have mentioned it. I'll try to ask one of the mechanics what they think if I ever get the chance , but if there a chance that this crap doesn't work, and Larry has said just that many times, I'll take his advice and use loctite.

When I owned a KLR 650 and the Kawasaki forums were talking "loudly" about the faulty engine destroying the balancer chain tensioner, the dealership knew nothing about it when I asked about it. When I disassembled the engine to access the tensioner, sure enough it was broken, not adjusting anymore and the broken piece was no where to be found. The forum told me I would find it on the other side of the engine in the clutch basket. Guess what , they were right!

I'm thankful there is a huge amount of information on here for us all to take advantage of.

Take care.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom