Timing belt. It's not the miles, but the years. If it's not broke, should I fix it?

Also, what tire did you use on the front wheel and was you front wheel a 17" or 18"? I have an ABSII ST1100 with the 18" front wheel. The BT020 18" tire is a radial and I was wondering if there were any issues with running a bias ply tire on the rear and a radial on the front.

UP, did the BT020s last the entire trip?

UP, did the BT020s last the entire trip?
Yes - The BT020 BMW Bias rear is the only rear I can get near 10,000 miles out of before 'threads'.
I've got a Michelin Commander Bias hanging on my tire rack that I am going to see how it does.
I've found that the Michelins are more expensive than the BStones so it will have to do really well for me to switch permanently.
I went though a BStone rear radial right at 4,000 miles and BeemerPhile rescued me at the BRG with one he had at his house.
I always use a radial on the front and the bike does not care if there is a bias on the back.
So far my hair has not caught on fire or turned purple from doing it a bunch … :biggrin:
Three of the four ST1100s are setup with Bias on the rear, Radial on the front.
I usually run the BStone 'flavor' of the month radial on the front - BT030, BT030 EVO, BT31 GT, etc.
I'll be running a PR4 in the front of the bike that gets the Michelin Commander on the rear.
BTW, all 4 ST1100s have the ABSII front rims - even the standard (I swapped the rim) - 120/70/18.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrp
I have had problems with two BT023's badly cupping on the front. Tried a BS Exedra Max and interestingly, they don't cup at all. So that's what I have been using for the last 3 or 4 front tires. In the 120 width, that Exedra is a radial tire.

Reactions: jrp
I have had problems with two BT023's badly cupping on the front. Tried a BS Exedra Max and interestingly, they don't cup at all. So that's what I have been using for the last 3 or 4 front tires. In the 120 width, that Exedra is a radial tire.
Jim - Have you used the Excedra Radial 120 width on the front and did it cup?

Yup, Not one of the 3 or 4 Excedra Max radial 120's I have installed have cupped one bit. Can't understand why the 023's do ( ??? ).
Cupping seems to be an issue with the BSTone front radials - except maybe for the Exedra 120.
I may try one of them for my next 'front' and see how it does for me.

So much great info! I consider myself very new to ST land, I have a 01 ST with 113k. Got with 52k, wasn't sure about the t/b but replaced it anyway. I learned too! Get err done!

Back
Top Bottom