5 Things You Have Done,,, Most Others Haven't...

1. Been in a building hit by a terroist truck bomb and lived, although 241 others didnt
  2. Been on an Aircraft Carrier doing a 26 degrees roll
  3. lived I Saigon during the 67 Tet offensive
  4. Been to Midway(the ship and the island)
  5. Been to all 50 US States and 6 Continents

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
^Impressive! I've heard that every ship must pass and practice certain 'high speed turn' conditions. And although everyone 'knows' the ship can handle the maneuvers, it seems doubt would creep in anyway for those onboard when they see that much list and assume it's going to roll over! :eek:

^Impressive! I've heard that every ship must pass and practice certain 'high speed turn' conditions. And although everyone 'knows' the ship can handle the maneuvers, it seems doubt would creep in anyway for those onboard when they see that much list and assume it's going to roll over! :eek:
Problem on USS MIDWAY was that she was built in the forties as a straight deck for propeller driven aircraft to handle the jets of the 50/ they rebuilt her into a angle deck. Then in 67 they "modernized" her again but she was so top heavy she sat too low in the water.
In the 80s they put her in drydock in Yokosuka to add blisters to help make her Dryer and more stable. 138 million dollar mistake. She was worse than before and would ship water over the bow in good weather
The engineers stated that she could take no more than a 24 degree roll before capsizing.
Off of the Philippines on 8 October 1988 during a typhoon we took a sustained 26 degree roll. There was doubt she would come back to an even keel.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
  1. Reenlisted in the military at 40,000 feet in a Boeing E-3 AWACS over a foreign country.
  2. Driven a NASCAR stock car.
  3. Snorkeled at the Barrier Reef in Belize.
  4. Flown upside down in a USAF F-111 fighter.
  5. Been in contact with nuclear weapons.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
1. Played softball with Michael Jordan while he was still at UNC. He was at shortstop; I played second base. Very fierce competitor! I think that is why he wins.
2. Transited the Suez Canal 12 times during a single deployment. Set a record that still stands today.
3. Ran into (literally) Gary Player at the 1975 GGO. He did stop and talk to me a bit.
4. Fired the first shots at an Iraqi ship during Operation Desert Shield...I was manning the gun console and I was thinking that I had started WWIII.
5. Met the Frugal Gourmet in Venice, Italy while he was there filming his TV show.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
1. Circumnavigated the world a few times as the pilot
2. Toured the Okavanga Delta in a van with a cooler full of beer
3. Been to the Sao Paulo city dump at midnight (don't ask)
4. Stood on the Great Wall of China
5. Managed to stay married (same girl) for 46 years and counting

Bike
St1300
Snogged Stings wife briefly. Ok, very briefly. 1971 ???
Sailed in a world championship and beat Belgium.
Got married at 20 and still am 45 years later
Successfully heimlich manoevered my own 1 year old child. My pulse has still not recovered 37 years later.
Pulled someones child from the sea about half a mile offshore and delivered them back to their Mom. The child had not been missed....

I know its nowt to do with St 1300s but this is a challenge!

Wonder if one could surf off that curl
nope but be fun as hell to watch though
Actually, you can.

Many many years ago, we used to surf the "waves" produced by ships coming in and out of the Houston Ship Channel. AAMOF, this was video-documented in Dana Brown's movie Step Into Liquid. Catch one of these waves (a good one) and you can ride it for 15+ minutes!

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Successfully heimlich manoevered my own 1 year old child. My pulse has still not recovered 37 years later.
I know that feeling... no particular order:
  • Successfully resuscitated my 3yr old after he stopped breathing in the middle of the night.
  • Saved a friends life after his face met street furniture at speed, resulting in broken maxilla.
  • Fired a shell from a tank, in the wrong direction, on purpose.
  • Received a voicemail from a close relative saying they were about to commit suicide, 4 hours after they left the message, drove 15miles without breaking the law & got there in time to make a difference.
  • Had an inter-continental flight on a 767, where the only people aboard were me, pilots and one air steward - cockpit doors were left open throughout the flight (post 9-11).

Bike
ST 1100 s
Rode to stonehenge in winter overnight snow, ice ,hail etc , took 3 days to thaw out
Went on stage with ken dodd (stage crew) had to wear his furry coat , very smelly
Met les dennis , bernard manning and the rapiers
Did an assault course, an abseil, and a parachute jump for charity
Old enough to enjoy my pan with dirt cheap insurance yay
Saw aerosmith live at hyde park
One of the origional members of Drive for youth , spending a month travelling accross India filmed for BBC was called "Indian Summer"
Married for 26 years and counting.......

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
.......That most haven't done?

One is easy. Owned and ridden a Flexit sidecar.
Second. Took a road going sidecar outfit across the Sahara... stupid, stupid, stupid :doh1: but an experience. The oufit survived, just. Amazingly, so did our marriage. Chris had said to me that she wanted to go somewhere sunny with sand for her summer holiday instead of mountains and passes. Who was I to disobey :cool:

39152.jpg27.jpg

Top Bottom