5 Things You Have Done,,, Most Others Haven't...

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
My department offers a PLOP program.....its a deferred retirement program that means you get retro paid for every year you stay after you can retire, up to 3 years. 2031 is my normal retirement and 2034 is my retirement if I do PLOP. What that means is I'll be leaving with a 30 year retirement + a check for $120,000(after taxes). Our plan is to buy a truck and travel trailer(or toy hauler) and travel around the US(just my wife and I. Another perk to retirement at 30 years is that my wife and I will retire at the same time. Our youngest will then be 19 years old.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sounds like a plan. I intend to ride the ST until I can no longer do so, then get a camper van to trundle round Europe in. good luck, & ride safe, Eric

Bike
R1200rt
beat this Iron Butt... Refereed 16 AAA u16 games in 3 days for the worlds largest hockey tournament at the age of 64.5... hour and a half game slots...today I know what the walking dead feel like.:sbike1:

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Whilst working "up the line" in the 1970s:-

Sold a new 125cc Honda to Ringo Starr for use on his estate by his wife, Maureen.
Danced at the Lakeside Club with Sheila Ferguson of the Three Degrees, much to the amusement of her massive bodyguard!
Apart from that, pretty mundane!
Which Honda 125?

Still have my SL125-K3
(Picture of it are here somewheres)

Never heard of this lady before but the music ive heard. Thought Sonny and Cher wrote this one:

I didnt have access to music apart from my Dads Italian songs (Sinatra, Dino, etc) or my brothers classic rock (Black Sabbath, Stones, Cooper, etc) back in those days.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Which Honda 125?

Still have my SL125-K3
(Picture of it are here somewheres)

Never heard of this lady before but the music ive heard. Thought Sonny and Cher wrote this one:

I didnt have access to music apart from my Dads Italian songs (Sinatra, Dino, etc) or my brothers classic rock (Black Sabbath, Stones, Cooper, etc) back in those days.

I am pretty sure it was a 1973 CB125 - the blue and white tank single cylinder road bike. Your SL would be the Trail bike with a silver tank if I remember rightly.
Remember Black Sabbath well - The Immigrants Song was one of my favourites. Not so much into Sinatra apart from his daughter Nancy who used to sing with Lee Hazlewood back in the 60s/70s. Looks like you found the Three Degrees, what do you think?

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Five things...
  1. Wrote the logistics plan for a Tanker Task Force operating out of Keflavik, Iceland.
  2. Climbed Mt. St. Helens...before it blew its top as a teenager. No one will ever get that high on that mountain anymore. And later that summer, I walked around Spirit Lake with a full length leg cast on.
  3. Taught at a pastor's conference in Tanzania's bush country.
  4. Was the maintenance supervisor for one of the four squadrons at the 416th Bomb Wing, Griffiss AFB. We won every award for maintenance excellence in Strategic Air Command, the USAF and Department of Defense. No other SAC or USAF unit had ever won at the DOD level before.
  5. Been going into prisons and jails for 17 years.
A freebie...the proud father of two wonderful daughters and happily married to my wife of 44 years.

Chris

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
@Bikeric
Ok since you asked...

These girls can sing, move and are pretty as hell. The songs are sweet and catchy even today (which means they are good). I know im dating myself, but most of the stuff they pass off as music today that my 23 and 17 year olds listen to is garbage that i wager noone will listen to in 10 years. Yes i know, the very definition of the “generation gap”. Hows that for a mini review.

@Daboo
“Taught at a pastor's conference in Tanzania's bush country.”
Respects man. Thats the Heart of the Lord right there.

Sad to say though, one not only has to go to the far reaches (aka Timbuktu) to minister to the uninitiated and lost. Here in California in high tech world I work in, is just as or more so lost than any primal tribe. Yeah out here the idols are metal and silicon and flesh with fancy logos and bling, but the human souls suffer the same blindness. Peeps putting faith in bucks and self, same every where. Technology is not a replacement for Wisdom.

Keep on Brother

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
@Bikeric
Ok since you asked...

These girls can sing, move and are pretty as hell. The songs are sweet and catchy even today (which means they are good). I know im dating myself, but most of the stuff they pass off as music today that my 23 and 17 year olds listen to is garbage that i wager noone will listen to in 10 years. Yes i know, the very definition of the “generation gap”. Hows that for a mini review.

@Daboo
“Taught at a pastor's conference in Tanzania's bush country.”
Respects man. Thats the Heart of the Lord right there.

Sad to say though, one not only has to go to the far reaches (aka Timbuktu) to minister to the uninitiated and lost. Here in California in high tech world I work in, is just as or more so lost than any primal tribe. Yeah out here the idols are metal and silicon and flesh with fancy logos and bling, but the human souls suffer the same blindness. Peeps putting faith in bucks and self, same every where. Technology is not a replacement for Wisdom.

Keep on Brother
Glad you liked them. I think the world was a much better, simpler place back then! Regards Eric

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Thank you for the kind words.

FWIW, I leave Wednesday evening (7 November) to head to Thailand on another mission trip. Another guy and myself will be teaching pastors in the south end of the country, then moving over towards the eastern side. We'll get back just before Thanksgiving.

Chris

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
The awesome thing about the Word of God is...

Its like a lion, He needs no defense, rather just let Him out of the cage.

Good hunting my brother. Time is short.

Only one (you'll figure out why I have no friends :) )
About a year ago I set off on my bike with 4 NYT crossword puzzles in hand at 12:30 pm. Did a "speed circuit" of 4 Starbucks - drinking a coffee and completing a crossword at each location before riding off to the next one. Did a Wednesday, Thursday and 2 ea Friday (they get harder deeper into the week).
About 80 miles ridden:
1st stop: Foothill Blvd Salt Lake City
2nd Stop: Park City, UT
3rd stop: Provo UT
4th stop: Orem UT
Made my dinner invitation at 4 pm in Lindon UT.

I didn't alert news media to this feat as I can neither tolerate or afford what would have inevitably been a throng of groupies and others wishing to bask in the glory of my achievement.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I didn't alert news media to this feat as I can neither tolerate or afford what would have inevitably been a throng of groupies and others wishing to bask in the glory of my achievement.
That’s funny... made me lol!![emoji23]

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
What a fantastic thread, and I'm in absolute awe, of some of things members have done.
It reinforces my belief that there are no "ordinary" people, and we all have something special to offer, because of our experiences.

1. I have visited over 75 countries, which has given me a tremendous appreciation of the start I got in life, just because of where, and when, I was born, and the education I went through as a child. Something I think many of us in the west take for granted, but none should.

2. I served my country through two armed conflicts (operation corporate, and operation granby. Otherwise known as the Falklands war, and Desert Storm), and never once felt in as much danger as I did in a city within my own nation ( Belfast. Believe me, walking down the Falls Road in the 80's, with a British uniform on was tHE best laxative known to man!)

3. I had a night out with a Rock-star in a foreign country. I met Fish, from Marillion, in the Scottish pub in Krakow one night, as he became interested as soon as he heard my accent. He was over doing promotional work for a greatest hits album/tour, and invited my Scouse mate I was working with, and myself to join him. That night I learned how he got his name............rarely, if ever, have I been so inebriated.

4. I met my wife on the internet, back before it was trendy, and emigrated to be with her. Next year sees our 20th Anniversary.

5. I removed the fairing on my first ST1100, using my left leg, in under 3 seconds, during the worst of the three on-road "get-offs" I have had in my nearly 40years of riding (but have to say, not continuous. There have been multi-year gaps in a few spots). Off road, I took part in an expedition in the Falklands ( and just let me say, that if God ever decides to give the world an enema, that's where the tube is going), that I lied about my experience to get on, I came off 17 times in 2 days..........The most physically exhausting thing I've done in my life. But afterwards, my persistence in refusing to give up was noted, and found me getting "volunteered" for certain types of duty afterwards.

Got a couple of others, but only five were asked for.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
1. Launched 5 Pershing II missiles from Cape Canaveral.

2. Wrote the US Army's after action report for the guarding of Cubans after the Merial boat lift at FT Smith, AR.

3. Rode the motorcycle over the Gross Glockner Pass.

4. Graduated from high school in Germany.

5. Rappelled down the 300 foot face of Medicine Bluff, FT Sill, OK.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I rode my bicycle from Toronto the Prince Edward Island in 1973 when I was 15, and then all over Europe in 1976 when I was 18, marched in the 1982 Grey Cup Parade wearing a kilt and playing a sousaphone (while wearing an ankle to thigh cast), lived and worked in West Africa in the petroleum industry and I’ve built and flown R/C model aircraft.

Well in honor and memory of the OP....aka Austin City Limits, Terry Hammond. I will toss out a few things.
1. Served in the forces which guard our country and our way of life.
2. Played on stage for a thousand or so people.
3. Repelled from various things.
4. Have several IBA certificates.
5. Went to the last Moonshine lunch run.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
1 . As the son and grandson of two master wooden boat builders I helped my father and grand father build my dad's two Jersey speed skiffs - one of which was national champion circa 1957 - and my father's 280 cu. in . class hydroplane which missed the 103 mph record at time trials by 3/10ths of one mph . All before I was 12 yrs old.
2. Along with my Dad we built a static full size replica of a Gloucester fishing schooner at a shopping center.
3 . As a lifelong scale model builder placed second in my class at IPMS Nationals a few years back - first time entry.
4 . Restored a 1950 Norton ES2 -scored 99 1/4 points out of a possible 100 at AMCA meet in Oley , PA
5. Did full aerobatic ride in 1940 Waco YMF open cockpit biplane.
6. Shared a taxi with Margaret Hamilton-( played the wicked witch opposite Judy Garland in " The Wizard of Oz" ) - she even cackled for me !
one more - others may have done so as well - I made the velocity compass on my 2007 ST 1300 point Northeast.

Last edited:
1) Part of an apprentice group that restored a Bristol Bulldog biplane fighter to flying condition.
2) Built the Concorde. OK, me and 10,000 other guys.
3) Designed CANDU Nuclear Reactors. Only a few hundred other guys that time.
4) Reverse-chopped a (these days an expensive antique) 1935 MOV Velocette to have McCandless copy rear suspension
and 1947 Dowty airdraulic teleforks (and you thought inverted tele-forks was a new thing?)
5) Designed, built & installed attachment systems for 5 sidecar rigs.

Top Bottom