Led Strobe brake light on ST1300 2009

The Whelen police LED will fit perfectly in place of the reflector on the rear fender above the license plate.20210616_225405[1].jpg

My only thoughts are to ensure you add a rear reflector on the bike somwhere to allow anyone coming up from behind at night to see it when the bike (and tail light) is off.

Good eye. Yes.....I keep a 5"in. velcro strap ...that had the brake lever locked back. I keep such a velcro-strap for when I had a emergency stop on he side of the road- thus passing vehicles were seeing the strobe. Many cars move WAY over seeing that strobe- maybe tying it in w/a LEO light.

Reactions: Obo
Good eye. Yes.....I keep a 5"in. velcro strap ...that had the brake lever locked back. I keep such a velcro-strap for when I had a emergency stop on he side of the road- thus passing vehicles were seeing the strobe. Many cars move WAY over seeing that strobe- maybe tying it in w/a LEO light.

I have a plastic strap I use as a cheap option to the Pendle Parking Brake that would do the same thing if I had my light setup to flash continuously. Having the light flash continuously when stopped like that on the roadside is a great idea I'll have to think about.

What I wanted to do is have my directions signals flash and alternate left/right when the 4 ways are on. I assume I need a flasher/wigwag unit and install it at the hazard switch wiring.

Something like this:

....I think I'm turning into Leon @Kaiser Swaghelm II :) :)

I have a plastic strap I use as a cheap option to the Pendle Parking Brake that would do the same thing if I had my light setup to flash continuously. Having the light flash continuously when stopped like that on the roadside is a great idea I'll have to think about.

What I wanted to do is have my directions signals flash and alternate left/right when the 4 ways are on. I assume I need a flasher/wigwag unit and install it at the hazard switch wiring.

Something like this:

I don’t know about your locale but here in Alberta flashing lights like that are not allowed unless on a commercially registered vehicle like a tow truck, construction vehicles or equipment etc. A private vehicle can only have amber flashing lights shining forward and red flashing lights shining to the rear (unless it came from the factory with amber lights in the rear [signal lights]). I would like to put 4-way flashing lights on my bike and I saw a thread here a while a go but can’t find it now.

Something like this:

Yep...the Techs. that install our Strobes call it a "Wig-Wag" resistor. Any place that does police-emergency wiring have the modulator. VERY inexpensive......like between $9~$15. :)

I'm thinking now my light is a bit too small and I may need to swap it out for something larger.
Strobe envy isn't pretty.

Obo said:
My only thoughts are to ensure you add a rear reflector on the bike somwhere to allow anyone coming up from behind at night to see it when the bike (and tail light) is off.
I have a Strobes n More light which actually is a perfect fit for the raised boss that supports the reflector. The dimensions of both the boss and base are exactly the same to the naked eye.

When I replaced my reflector with the strobe the reflector was relocated to the bottom hole in the fender. I believe that is for supporting the large plates some countries such as the UK use on motorbikes.

Mounted there it's a bubble off plumb since the factory mounting point is perpendicular to the ground unlike the low point on the fender.

I have a Pendle Parking Brake so my strobe can be steady on if need be. But I also followed a suggestion of spiderman302 and got a bicycle tail light/strobe that operates on two AAA cells. It'll function as a tail light with a slow strobe feature or as a fast flashing strobe. Stick it on the back of the bike and it'll flash a lot longer than anything hooked to the ST's battery. This way after an extended stop you can be sure the ST will start again.

Reactions: Obo
Back
Top Bottom