'21 BMW R1250RT

<--- If you look closely, you'll see I'm wearing said won cap... sorry about the picture, I have a strange reaction to the Moderna shot.

Congrats on the new bike - it's very sharp looking! I was going to guess Suzuki GSXS1000GT. At least I got the color right :)

I just did a bit of online research…the engine is air and liquid cooled, so is that air and oil? I don’t see a radiator on the front of the bike. Maybe there’s an oil cooler on there somewhere.

I just did a bit of online research…the engine is air and liquid cooled, so is that air and oil? I don’t see a radiator on the front of the bike. Maybe there’s an oil cooler on there somewhere.
Water and 2 radiators.

You're right...ok
IMG_20211113_093933.jpg
Nice bike Joe!

What packages are on it? Did you find the latte dispenser and on-screen menu yet?

What farkles are you planning to add?
Perhaps BMW has brightened the daytime running lights in this new model, as the prior model was too dim. In any case, I'd recommend starting with LED driving lights controlled via Hex ezCAN controller--but you first need to decide whether you'll add crash bars given that the BMW OEM light brackets and most crash bars mount into the same mounts, so you can only fit 'one or the other'. Consider a GS911 diagnostic tool for service minder resets. And also consider some kind of cylinder head protection for tip overs--I installed X-Head_LC Cylinder Guards on mine as I didn't want to add crash bars. Also, I found the whip antenna motion distracting in my peripheral vision, so I replaced it with a stubby.

Enjoy!

Nice bike Joe!

What packages are on it? Did you find the latte dispenser and on-screen menu yet?

What farkles are you planning to add?
Perhaps BMW has brightened the daytime running lights in this new model, as the prior model was too dim. In any case, I'd recommend starting with LED driving lights controlled via Hex ezCAN controller--but you first need to decide whether you'll add crash bars given that the BMW OEM light brackets and most crash bars mount into the same mounts, so you can only fit 'one or the other'. Consider a GS911 diagnostic tool for service minder resets. And also consider some kind of cylinder head protection for tip overs--I installed X-Head_LC Cylinder Guards on mine as I didn't want to add crash bars. Also, I found the whip antenna motion distracting in my peripheral vision, so I replaced it with a stubby.

Enjoy!
  • Basic package I guess - it does have ESA - electronic suspension.
  • The headlights/DRL strips are very bright.
  • 4 LED high beams, haven't ridden at night yet to see how well they work.
  • The LED Aux lights are also very bright, I found some flip covers that allow you to make them amber and flip up if you think you need the white light.
  • IMG_20211114_153534.jpg IMG_20211114_152837.jpg
  • I do plan on some Ilum Works crash bars, not sure if I'll get the rear ones, I've come close to breaking my foot on previous bikes w/rear crash bars when I put my foot down.
  • I'll probably wait 'til the 12k service to get the GS911.
  • No whip antenna - it's apparently hidden inside the faring somewhere. I don't think the radio module is even installed, same for Sirius.
  • BMW has a Connected App. You have a wireless charging pad in the right compartment.
    • Not crazy about the app - I have an Android phone and it seems to work better with those.​
    • You can import your gpx files into the app, select that route, and the phone will show navigation on the dash.​
    • It will also use the media on the phone - stored or streaming.​
    • The whole thing, when working, is just ok... it uses Tom Tom maps and they seem to be better than Garmin but the interface to the bike is just missing some convenience.​
    • When you stop for gas, everything disconnects and it takes time once you're back on the road before it all connects again and, for me, the media would always mute even though the volume showed max... I'd have to turn the handle bar controller all the way down to mute then back up for the media to be heard again.​
    • The nav perspective always defaults to 3d and I hate that, you have to zoom out to get to the top down view.​
    • In daytime mode, the secondary roads are almost invisible, most folks I've heard will keep it on night mode for a better view.​
    • So, the app and bike interface have some work to do. Again, when it works it's not bad but IMO not a replacement for a dedicated zumo that gives you better control over routes/media/phone/weather radar functionality.​
  • High beam - I hate the switch - it's a toggle with your left forefinger, forward for high, and that just doesn't feel natural but I'm sure after some time I'll get used to it, but it's kinda hard to find right now.
  • Self Canceling turn signals - yeah! I do that like
  • Wireless phone charger - yup, the right cubby has that and it even has a dedicated fan that will keep air circulating when a certain temperature is reached.
  • Seat - seems good, I did 250 miles Saturday and it felt ok, I need a good 500 mile day to really know how it's going to work out. I hope it does as it's heated and that's awesome - first heated seat I ever had.
  • Performance - very nice! - the torque seems like it's everywhere and very smooth which I didn't expect, I had a short test ride a couple weeks ago on a different bike but it wasn't very long.
  • Service - I'm not planning to ever take it to a dealer - unless there's warranty or recall work - so I'll be doing everything on my own, I know there are some specialized tools necessary but have looked at a few videos and I think it will be good.

Does this now mean we'll be recognizing mileage awards for Beemer riders?

Self Canceling turn signals - yeah! I do that like
Very nice bike. I have spent some time on a 2009, you are going to enjoy this bike I am sure.

How do you find these? Do they cancel quickly enough in city driving where intersections are positioned closely together?

The reason that I ask is that my brother-in-law has had many BMW's over the years. When I am riding behind him, I always find that they take to long to cancel. This is not an issue on country roads, but in a congested city environment I find that the length of time that they take take to cancel leaves him exposed to someone pulling out in front of him. This is because other drivers think that he is going to turn at the next intersection because his flasher is still flashing from his last maneuver.

He currently has a 2009 R1250RT, and I find it to be the same. I am curious to know if they have changed the logic involved in controlling the canceling feature now that everything is computer controlled, if they are computer controlled now that is.

Back
Top Bottom