Added a few more LED lights to the garage today.

I did similar lately also. I have five 8ft sections of florescent bulbs in my garage and replaced two of them with a round LED light with 4 adjustable paddles. Man they are bright! A lot brighter than what I had and so small also. Much better, I agree!

I added 2 of the 4foot LED lights in my rental garage. Cheap enough I can just leave them when the time comes. They plugg in same outlet as the garage door opener, I just leave them on 24/7. Could easily replace the original 4 foot florescent with one of the 4 paddle LEDunits too. Sure makes the garage brighter.

I did similar lately also. I have five 8ft sections of florescent bulbs in my garage and replaced two of them with a round LED light with 4 adjustable paddles. Man they are bright! A lot brighter than what I had and so small also. Much better, I agree!

I bought several of those "paddle" LEDs on Amazon and holy cow - are they bright and for about $15/each they're less costly than the four-footers too.

I have a small workshop. It is about 10' X 20'. I put in seven (7) double strip, 4-foot dual LED light fixtures. Each one is rated at 4,000 lumens. I bought the daylight colour version. I find that daylight colour lighting is good for the type of things that are normally done in a workshop.
I have painted all of the walls and the ceiling with eggshell white.

I have them on three different switches so that I can control how many are on and how bright I want it to be in there. When I turn all of them on, everyone who has seen it says that it is like an operating room in there. Worked exactly as I wanted- controllable but bright as hell when I need it to be. Even though everything is painted white, because I used eggshell paint it is very bright but with no irritating reflections.

Last edited:
I did similar but instead of swapping out the fixtures I just put in the LED tubes from Costco. It was a quick upgrade by just swapping tubes.

View attachment 286958

Are these brighter than the reg tubes. I have 4 four tube fixtures. Would like a bit more light with less cost.SAM_6452 - Copy.JPGSAM_1621.JPG

Last edited:
Are these brighter than the reg tubes. I have 4 four tube fixtures. Would like a bit more light with less cost.

Are these brighter than the reg tubes. I have 4 four tube fixtures. Would like a bit more light with less cost.

I found them to be brighter. They are also a different color temperature than my old bulbs were.

I got mine as a 2 pack at Costco when they were on sale. Up here they usually have them on sale a couple times a year.
Bonus with Costco is if you don't like them they are easy to return.

As for the other screw in bulb replacements I have 6 of the metal framed black tri LED panels ones and one of plastic white kind to see if they were any better.
1642614220067.png1642614338616.png

I like the looks of the metal tri leds better for the garage but the other bulb works fine too. It has 5 LED areas consisting of 4 adjustable arm sections and one main section.

I found them to be brighter. They are also a different color temperature than my old bulbs were.

I got mine as a 2 pack at Costco when they were on …
As for the other screw in bulb replacements I have 6 of the metal framed black tri LED panels ones and one of plastic white kind to see if they were ….

Did the same in the garage with just two of the black version. Painted the walls slate gray and replaced the garage door opener bulbs with 100w equiv leds. What a difference!

Did the same in the garage with just two of the black version. Painted the walls slate gray and replaced the garage door opener bulbs with 100w equiv leds. What a difference!

My door openers are touchy with the regular LED bulbs in them.

1642615514009.png

One won't light the LED bulbs at all and one makes them flash. Voltages on the socket seem to be in the constant 120v range when I checked them with a VOM.

There's also notes on them not to use LED's due to digital interference with the receiver that may make the door work poorly. Your garage door opener may vary :)

I used the 4ft 2 tube leds left by previous owner to make a surround over the lift. And each set can be turned on to need for lighting.

Costco leds over the work bench and other areas of the shop. Those are remote controlled with variable settings to include motion sensors.
I always say get as much light as you can. It really helps when tinkering.

Attachments

• 6CD9C751-4420-4BB1-8A6E-6A4023F7313E.jpeg
    6CD9C751-4420-4BB1-8A6E-6A4023F7313E.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 33BD4A05-1163-4C9C-B810-0769354CFAA4.jpeg
    33BD4A05-1163-4C9C-B810-0769354CFAA4.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 39

View attachment 286986

One won't light the LED bulbs at all and one makes them flash. Voltages on the socket seem to be in the constant 120v range when I checked them with a VOM.

There's also notes on them not to use LED's due to digital interference with the receiver that may make the door work poorly. Your garage door opener may vary :)

Bummer. Hard to comply with energy savings if that’s the case. So far so good with our 20 year old craftsman lift. It has a motion sensor that we employ when you walk in the dark garage it lights up fine. And all the remotes work no problem.

Bummer. Hard to comply with energy savings if that’s the case. So far so good with our 20 year old craftsman lift. It has a motion sensor that we employ when you walk in the dark garage it lights up fine. And all the remotes work no problem.

Not a game changer for me. Those are just "hi hello" lights to get you inside when you come home after hours. I could install a motion sensor for the full lights but I'm content with just using the switch if and when I want more light.

LED fluorescent-tube replacements come in two basic types:
Non-bypass tubes are made to work with the existing fluorescent ballast still wired to the sockets.
Bypass type tubes are made to have the ballast wiring removed and are powered directly by 120v.

I strongly recommend the bypass type, even though it takes about ten minutes to rewire for them.

I'm a Master Electrician and contractor. I'm happy to assist anyone with re-wiring their lights if needed.

View attachment 286986

And your garage door may open by itself!
Watched my neighbors garage door open up a couple times when no one was home.
Or it took him several tries to close it and keep it closed after he put LED lights outside his door on each side.

Top Bottom