Is the GT version tire REALLY necessary???

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I just priced the Road 5 GTs at Chap Moto, $477 that will increase the cost of a tire change $150
If the GT tire lasts longer, which is "for sure" in my experience, then you will come out ahead (at the very least) and probably wind up spending less in the long run.

I've always run Michelin GTs on my ST 1300. They last "forever" relative to the non-GT sport oriented Metzeler tires I use on my ST 1100.

Michael

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
If the GT tire lasts longer, which is "for sure" in my experience, then you will come out ahead (at the very least) and probably wind up spending less in the long run.

I've always run Michelin GTs on my ST 1300. They last "forever" relative to the non-GT sport oriented Metzeler tires I use on my ST 1100.

Michael
You can't compare a Metzeler to a michelin. Michelins are known for their mileage. Now if you stated you compared the mileage of a Michelin GT and non GT then that would be a perfect test

Bike
2014 ST1300
Given the size of the contact patch of the tire on the road and that the tire is essentially what keeps you upright (granted in concert with a variety of factors/inputs but the rubber is pretty much the major one) I don't mind spending a bit more on them. Peace of mind/confidence heading into a corner is worth it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Sometimes I wonder if we overthink this. To what end do riders here push to the extremes what the ST’s are capable of doing on a regular basis?
I have tried to get the GT model for both front and rear, but my supplier could only deliver the front tire in the GT version I have been running this combo for the past 7 years with no I’ll effect. Here I will admit to a mistake in my tire size…I have been running a lower profile in the rear, instead of a 70, I’ve been running a 60, again have been doing that for the past 7 years. ( my sidewall is 96mm instead of 106mm) I will order the proper size on my next order.
I sometimes push my comfort zone, I can,and have ground the pegs on corners and the bike remains firm to the ground and no indication of loosing the line. The Bridgestone Battleaxe T32’s are a great tire, I’m pleased with the performance I’m not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between the handling characteristics between a GT or regular tire. I’m rarely on the same road twice under the exact same conditions to tell the difference…

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
RevZilla has had pretty good prices in the past; not sure what they're up to now.
Revzilla isn't what it used to be, since merging with Cycle Gear.
Suggestion ; Check these guys:
I've bought my last several tires there - they've always beat Revzilla on price for me.
And tires usually show up at my door in two days.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll just say that the
Suggestion ; Check these guys: I've bought my last several tires there - they've always beat Revzilla on price for me.
Rocky Mountain is one of the main suppliers to most dealerships; you almost always see the parts counter with Rocky Mtn. catalogs in their binder rack.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll just say that the

Rocky Mountain is one of the main suppliers to most dealerships; you almost always see the parts counter with Rocky Mtn. catalogs in their binder rack.
I think you are thinking of Tucker Powersports formerly known as Tucker Rocky. Tucker is one of the largest wholesale suppliers to the powersports industry. Both dealers and etailers buy from Tucker. Companies like Rocky Mountain ATV buy from Tucker and their largest competitor Western Power Sports. Tucker and WPS drop ship inventory from their regional warehouses for Rocky Mountain ATV and quite often the tires that UPS deliver to our homes still have the Tucker or WPS SKU sticker on them.

Rocky Mountain ATV was a go-to for me when I was in the Bridgestone camp but for Michelin and since I’m usually buying from MotoSport.com.

Last edited:

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Just ordered a set of tires for my st. Revzilla was the most expensive. Went with chaparral, they was the best price without splitting up the order.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just priced the Road 5 GTs at Chap Moto, $477 that will increase the cost of a tire change $150:mad::mad::mad:
The same R5GT combo at MotoSport.com is $15 cheaper. At $402 net they aren't cheap but play like a sport, pay like a sport :) and they are a premium high traction all weather tire.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
I bought the new Michelin Road 6 GT for the rear in 180/55/17, and the regular Michelin road 6 120/70/18 for the front. The load rating for the rear in the GT version and the stiffer sidewall for the extra weight of the bike helped make the decision. They also dont make a GT Road 6 in the stock 170/60/17 size, and based on what I've read here and conversations with several different shops, the difference in height and width (170 vs 180) is not something that would be noticed by most riders, unless possibly you track the bike. For most street riders/commuters, you won't noticed a difference between 170 vs 180 tire width. I don't push the bike that hard. I decided to go with the 180 and get the advantages of the GT version. The tire composition is also identical in the GT and non GT versions so theres no difference in performance. I hear this tire is pretty amazing and getting great reviews. Thanks for all the input.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The same R5GT combo at MotoSport.com is $15 cheaper. At $402 net they aren't cheap but play like a sport, pay like a sport :) and they are a premium high traction all weather tire.

I have noticed a slight cost increase each time I have purchased tires but not a 30% increase. I have only been running PR4s so that also has helped in consistent costs.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have noticed a slight cost increase each time I have purchased tires but not a 30% increase. I have only been running PR4s so that also has helped in consistent costs.
PR4GT set is about $395 today at MotoSport. Where are you getting PR4GTs today for $327?

Bike
2014 ST1300
I bought the new Michelin Road 6 GT for the rear in 180/55/17, and the regular Michelin road 6 120/70/18 for the front. The load rating for the rear in the GT version and the stiffer sidewall for the extra weight of the bike helped make the decision. They also dont make a GT Road 6 in the stock 170/60/17 size, and based on what I've read here and conversations with several different shops, the difference in height and width (170 vs 180) is not something that would be noticed by most riders, unless possibly you track the bike. For most street riders/commuters, you won't noticed a difference between 170 vs 180 tire width. I don't push the bike that hard. I decided to go with the 180 and get the advantages of the GT version. The tire composition is also identical in the GT and non GT versions so theres no difference in performance. I hear this tire is pretty amazing and getting great reviews. Thanks for all the input.
I'll be curious to hear how you like the 6GT

Top Bottom