Is the GT version tire REALLY necessary???

Bike
2007 ST1300
I called Revzilla and spoke to a 2 different cyclegear employees. They stated the weight/speed rating on the side of the new Michelin ROAD 6 supports heavier bikes like the ST1300, and the GT variant is not necessary. I expressed to them my concern about sidewall flex, premature wear, the weight of the bike, etc., and they stated the 'regular' ROAD 6 will support the bike and rider's weight, even 2-up.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding this? Should the decision to GT or not to GT be based on the speed/weight rating on the side of the tire? The speed/weight rating of the ROAD 6 is pretty high (59W).

Thanks for any info.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like the cycle gear employees have a bunch of non-GT tires they want to sell ;)
The original OEM tire Bridgestone 020 tires have the stiffest sidewall known to man, to handle the weight/sidewall flex of the ST1300.
Several other tire companies have tried making heavy/sport/touring tires for heavier bikes, and always seem to end up with GT rated tires.
I would contact Michelin if you have any questions about their products, and not someone who is just selling them.
While non-GT tires MAY work, your tires lifespan would probably be really short (3-5000 miles) and may not handle the weight of you and your bike as much as you'd hope.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Yeah. I was thinking that. They don't make the Michelin ROAD 6 in a GT variant for the front tire...yet. I was thinking about getting the non GT ROAD 6 for the front tire, and the ROAD 6 GT for the rear tire. I don't think I lose anything by going to the ROAD 6 GT on the rear tire. I tried calling Michelin direct, and no one picked up the phone via the phone tree. I was on perpetual hold.

I've been using the GT's for years on different bikes. Interestingly enough, if you go to Michelin's website and use the tire selector, the only result that pops up for the ST is the Road 6, not the GT. Probably worthwhile reaching out to Michelin, as suggested, and asking what would be the best option under load, 2-up, etc. The road 6 is boasting longer tire, perhaps they believe this brings the ST into an acceptable range for this tire. I'd be interested to hear what Michelin says.

Bike
R1200rt
I called Revzilla and spoke to a 2 different cyclegear employees. They stated the weight/speed rating on the side of the new Michelin ROAD 6 supports heavier bikes like the ST1300, and the GT variant is not necessary. I expressed to them my concern about sidewall flex, premature wear, the weight of the bike, etc., and they stated the 'regular' ROAD 6 will support the bike and rider's weight, even 2-up.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding this? Should the decision to GT or not to GT be based on the speed/weight rating on the side of the tire? The speed/weight rating of the ROAD 6 is pretty high (59W).

Thanks for any info.
the difference in the GT version is rayon, however there is no difference in the load capacity. In the past many riders that used Michelins got lots miles with no problems that were not GT versions.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Michelin claims that they have increased the rigidity of the R6 front tire by now using the same technology that they have been using in the rear tire. Maybe this makes a GT version moot?
It has a load index of 59, which is 535 pounds.

Ive always bought GT tires. Never paid much attention to weight ratings. I do know my st loaded for bear with me on it is 980 to 1005 Lbs. So a 535lb rated tire pretty maxed out, two up.....yikes

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
While non-GT tires MAY work, your tires lifespan would probably be really short (3-5000 miles) and may not handle the weight of you and your bike as much as you'd hope.
Exactly.

If you use your ST for canyon carving, mountain passes, that kind of thing, sure, get a non-GT tire. If you do long highway trips, get a GT tire otherwise you will be replacing tires twice as frequently as you need to.

Michael

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Though both the GT and regular tire have the same load weight capacity and speed rating I never would choose the non GT on the ST1300 if there was a choice. The GT spec tires have a stiffer carcass and offer more stability. The ST1300 is already prone to a high speed weave and needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Exactly.

If you use your ST for canyon carving, mountain passes, that kind of thing, sure, get a non-GT tire. If you do long highway trips, get a GT tire otherwise you will be replacing tires twice as frequently as you need to.

Michael
wouldn't that be the opposite? I would think as your leaning heavy into turns you would want less sidewall distortion. T32 has 2 ply sidewall nylon, GT version has 3ply (nylon) the tires are identical with the exception of the extra sidewall ply. So why should the tire last 2x longer?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
wouldn't that be the opposite? I would think as your leaning heavy into turns you would want less sidewall distortion. T32 has 2 ply sidewall nylon, GT version has 3ply (nylon) the tires are identical with the exception of the extra sidewall ply. So why should the tire last 2x longer?
Under a heavy powerful bike the stiffer sidewalls flex less thus the tire runs cooler and lasts longer.

Bike
R1200rt
Under a heavy powerful bike the stiffer sidewalls flex less thus the tire runs cooler and lasts longer.
then why can I get 18 k out of a non GT bias ply tire ? Radial Tires are suppose to generate less heat. I don't think that the flex difference would cause a significant change in tire heat. Then why don't they bump up the load range on the GT or lower the Load range on the non gt . The tire may last slightly longer but certainly not 2x longer

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
then why can I get 18 k out of a non GT bias ply tire ? Radial Tires are suppose to generate less heat. I don't think that the flex difference would cause a significant change in tire heat. Then why don't they bump up the load range on the GT or lower the Load range on the non gt . The tire may last slightly longer but certainly not 2x longer
The way and where you ride determines the life of the tire. You’ll have find someone else to argue with about heat impact on tire life.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just priced the Road 5 GTs at Chap Moto, $477 that will increase the cost of a tire change $150:mad::mad::mad:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just as a general statement, which should surprise no one here, but rubber is a petroleum product and all NEW tires will, of necessity increase in price.
"Of necessity" is clearly tongue in cheek, but I'll spare you my diatribe this time.
EDIT: I should have said, "tires" are petroleum products. Rubber, itself, of course, is a product of rubber trees. But petroleum is used in making tires from rubber.
Too much mind...

Last edited:
Top Bottom