ST1100 Neutral Light

I'm pretty sure it is the diode.
You're probably right - and that dude is buried in the wiring harness up on the left side - arghhh!
I have changed them out before and the clutch switch is much easier to change. :biggrin:
 
You're probably right - and that dude is buried in the wiring harness up on the left side - arghhh!
I have changed them out before and the clutch switch is much easier to change. :biggrin:
Yes - I remember replacing one years ago. I had to cut the harness apart located on the upper frame tube on the LH side under the tank shelter to get at it, if I remember correctly.
 
Yes - I remember replacing one years ago. I had to cut the harness apart located on the upper frame tube on the LH side under the tank shelter to get at it, if I remember correctly.
Yeppers, that's where it lives - buried under the Honda 'black tape wrap'. ;)
Normally it takes a dead short to fry one so I don't know if the alternator fried it on its way out or not.
 
The rest of the story -
It was definitely the clutch diode causing the issue.
I was able to go to Uncle Phil's Parts Department and he had one available for install.
And Uncle Phil's Repair Shop was able to install it for me pretty quickly. ;)
 
Got a picture of it's exact location in the harness? I know more or less where it is but a photo would be great.
 
The rest of the story -
It was definitely the clutch diode causing the issue.
I was able to go to Uncle Phil's Parts Department and he had one available for install.
And Uncle Phil's Repair Shop was able to install it for me pretty quickly. ;)
How long did it take to look up and find the right parts bin? How much did you pay for parts storage? Hope he wasn’t on a long lunch break and you had to wait. :roflmao:
 
How long did it take to look up and find the right parts bin? How much did you pay for parts storage? Hope he wasn’t on a long lunch break and you had to wait. :roflmao:
I always get great and quick service when I go there - I know the owner 'personally'. ;)
 
Got a picture of it's exact location in the harness? I know more or less where it is but a photo would be great.
Nope, no pictures - didn't think about it.
On the left side, top of the frame, about where the choke cable 'holder' is located measuring front to back of the bike.
Looks like a big lump that has been taped around - diode is about 1cmX1cmX1cm - 3 prongs.
Part number is 31700-196-000 - technically called a rectifier not a diode. ;)
 
The clutch diode is actually two diodes, thus the three terminals.

A rectifier assembly can be made up from one or more diodes.

For example, a full-wave rectifier contains four individual diodes.
 
Back
Top Bottom