St1100 racetech fork spring swap

Joined
Mar 18, 2024
Messages
3
Age
29
Location
The Big Mitten
Bike
01 ST1100
I purchased a set of racetech springs and have new fork seals and was going to do the replacement this weekend, I know there's a spacer on the left fork and was wondering if anyone has replaced the springs and knows what length the spacer is supposed to be and is the oil capacity the same per the manual or is it based off a air gap?
 
I'm assuming because you're asking that Racetech didn't provide any info with the springs. That might be because everyone will want to set them up a little differently, but a baseline starting point would have been nice.

The non-ABS has spacers in both forks, whereas the ABS version only has one, which is in the right fork. So we need to know which version you're working on.
 
Its a 01 non abs I do have some sort of instructions that comes from a QR code scan the paper with it got set aside with the stickers
 
I replaced mine, you will be using the spacer provided by Racetech but, it will need to be cut to adjust preload.
Don't remember the oil level setting specifics but it is different based on the year and model. There are different sized forks.
 
Its a 01 non abs I do have some sort of instructions that comes from a QR code scan the paper with it got set aside with the stickers
start out with that and see if it helps.

FWIW, factory spacers are 50mm on the right fork, 132mm on the left fork.

oil volume/level info here:
 

Attachments

  • fork oil details.JPG
    fork oil details.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 9
start out with that and see if it helps.

FWIW, factory spacers are 50mm on the right fork, 132mm on the left fork.

oil volume/level info here:
Are these the specs for a 93 1100 as well?
I posted in the 1300 forum accidentally looking to improve my non ABS 1100
Here are some details:
The bike 93 1100 non ABS with 100,000 on the clock
3 years ago I changed the fork oil with Bel Ray 7w filling by volume measure and rebuilt the anti dive unit
My thought was to go with heavier fork oil either 10W or 15W
Some times I feel like I am riding a pogo stick especially when on and off the throttle riding the back roads and highway bridge bumps.
The bike eats up the harsh pot holes and unexpected bumps well.
I am a light rider 150 lb mostly riding alone.
I do not know if the rear shock is original, and want to get a new one over the winter Most likely a Wilbers

Any insight would be welcome
 
3 years ago I changed the fork oil with Bel Ray 7w...
I'd replace fork oil every two years when running in clean environment, and annually in seasons with longer periods of harsh weather...

I wouldn't go over 10W on OEM springs...
ended up with 7W on my Hyperpro linear progressive springs...
everything stiffer is tiring, causing sore wrist on frost-beaten/patchworked roads like in the Alps (or UK...)
 
Back
Top Bottom