Monday Coffee, Oct 5th, '26...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
1,383
Age
61
Location
Vienna, AuSTria
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
I'm offended by being called "grumpy" in the morning...
I simply identify as "uncaffeinated"... :coffee:

img_1_1790832072376.jpg

G'Day...

still alive and kickin'...

Nespresso maker reliable as a Swiss watch... :coffee::coffee:

Still quite mild for October @ 8°/23°C and 78% RH, hazed skies, should clear up during the day... ☀️

Nothing new around here (except continuous raising costs of living, paired with the noticeable decline of public safety creeping in...)

ze GF has left for the office, I'll have to ride across town to pick up a registered letter... access code for the unemployment office account... pfffff...

Saturday a big family shin-ding, DIL's birthday, 17 people, lunch at an Asian restaurant (you won't find a dish below € 20,- in a menu these days :cautious:)...
then motorcade to SIL/BIL's place for coffee and home made cakes...

BIL proudly presented his newly obtained 2nd hand, 2018 Honda Forza 750 DCT X-ADV scooter... (despite SIL forbade him any motorcycle... ;))
Which was only flaming up the resentments by both GF's daughters after her crash last fall... yeah, so them blaming me is still simmering...
That daughter #1's BF then mentioned mulling over a 125cc scoot for urban commute as he's fed up being stuck in the car didn't help... at all... ;)
I prompted her burning stare with a smirk... 😜

Well, have a good start into the week 😎

I'm gonna have another coffee and more of the leftover cake...
 
Thanks for the coffee ST1100Y. Missed you around here this past week. Up early today 02:30, as wife and I went to bed early last night. Wife had a bad night last night as she forgot to take her Carbidopa/Levodopa meds before we went to bed. We were up at 02:30 trying to take care of her issues. By the time we got her squared away the mind rodents had escaped and were running loose in my head. 55 degrees F now at 04:00 and gong to be close to 90 degrees F today here in Colorful Colorado along the Front Range. Going to head over at 07:30 today for a Physical Therapy Appt, for my knees. They are starting to act up at 77 years old. Beginning to affect my moto riding. Everybody have a good day and be happy and safe in what ever endeavor you partake in today.
 
Last edited:
Morning all, and thanks for the coffee, Martin.

12C and mostly cloudy for the ride into work in the dark. 15 and rain for the ride home they are saying. I'm gambling it won't be bad, or at least better than last week's wet ride home.

You all may find some amusement in this. I know I did. I mentioned about decorating for Halloween, and buying this inflatable vampire coffin. Well we've never had a power outlet out front, and in fact there were no outside outlets in the house when we moved in. I figured it was about time we had one. I asked Mrs. O, who said yes. When I mentioned a surface mount box, she said no. OK, recessed box it is then.... but the front of the house is brick, so out came the hammer drill, concrete bits, angle grinder with masonry disc, chisel, lump hammer etc. Measurements were made as I'd be going though the brick, and outside wall, into the garage. I didn't want to hit the water line for the front tap, or any wires in the wall. It was all going swimmingly. The brick opening came out decent, easily and clean. The test fit looked good. Just drill though the outer plywood and inner OSB with a worm spade bit, connect the wiring and voila. Swimmingly.

image0.jpeg

Especially when the water started spraying out of the hole I was drilling like a fountain. I went inside to shut off the water, looking rather wet. I got a few laughs from everyone inside.

Having measured at least a dozen times, I missed the stud, but hit the copper water pipe, dead center. You can see the hole on the right side. In the photo below I'd cut the wall & the pipe, pulled it forward and rotated it to see the hole. Needed to be cut to replace the pipe anyway....

There's now some plumbing in my electrical job. :)

image1.jpeg

I'd rather have drilled from the inside out, but the brick dictated where the hole was going. :)

At least everything is easy access, and the water stayed confined to the front porch and the garage.

Hope everyone has an excellent day, and doesn't pull an Obo.

Obo.
 
Thx Martin!
We’ve been in Oslo for a week, helping our son with bits an bobs, and visiting old (literally) friends.
Drove home in heavy rain x-mountains yesterday, a bit tiresome.
The rain continues today, it’s really wet!

15˚c/59f, quite mild right?, a 15mph breeze from west.

Some shopping, a bit of tool cleaning and tidying up the car.

Hope you and the missus get better Chuck!

Have a dry one!
Stu

We stayed at our usual place, a guesthouse at a convent, very quiet and peaceful, aaaand free parking!
Pic from the chapel

IMG_5030.jpeg
 
Good morning everyone

Thanks for the coffee, Martin.

@Obo- DOH! (I couldn't find it easily among the built-in emojis so imagine I've included a facepalm here...)

It's 58°F and mostly cloudy in Rockville but yesterday's all-day mizzling misty drizzly goop has stopped and we expect to start the drying-out process today. We expect a high around 70 with mostly sunny skies, once the fog lifts after sunrise.

It's golf with the neighbors today. Maybe a bit of ukulele beforehand.

Stay safe and well everyone and tell your dear ones you love them. Do it today, NOW, for tomorrow may be too late.
 
... I missed the stud, but hit the copper water pipe, dead center...
... which admittedly requires some skills... but you know... Murphy and that...

But with my HVAC background I feel you...
Had even better chances of hitting any lines with our 2" and larger core drill sets...
Always measured and leveled everything triple and quadruple...
Like leveling laser from the nearest windowsill/frame, etc...
Double fun when the building has been modified multiple times by various PO's... and no documentation...
20" deep in a 40" concrete/brick mix foundation wall and the alarm system starts blaring at you... 😁

At least its a copper pipe, two sleeves are brazed in no time...
These days all and everything is made with plastic pipes and/or press fitting... 😒
 
@ST1100Y copper sweat fitting are good indeed. No press tools required. I have extra pipe and couplers on hand, as well as lead free solder, flux, torch etc and a myriad of other plumbing bits and bobs and tools. I even have a hammer swage tool to stretch copper to make a female end in a piece of pipe. It's not perfect, but one can't have too many tools right?

1791198639873.png

Murphy's law says a simple yet urgent plumbing thing will occur just after the stores close and a plumbers rate of a min of 4 hours of OT kicks in. :)
 
Last edited:
Thanks Martin, glad you're handling the car snobs in the family.
Remind the scoffers and scaredy-cats... a scooter is NOT a motorcycle.
I will die on that hill. 😄
@Obo maybe "measure twice, cut / drill once" needs to be amended when water is involved. But hey, at least you didn't still into the live wires, so that's a plus.
The sun is not to be found this morning, only gray and leaden skies.
But the car is working, so Kaiser can go to work with me.
The new kitten, rescued by Crazy Cat Lady wife at the barbecue drive through, has discovered the wonders of the toilet paper roll in the bathroom.
I always mount the roll backwards, so as not to come home to a new roll, unrolled and piled on the bathroom floor. BTDT.
Even so, the first half inch or inch of new paper will be shredded like confetti, and unusable, if she persists.
But it must be great fun for sharp kitty claws.
Now it's time to leave this splendid company and head on to spend several hours with another type of company.
Be well, measure again, and avoid the fallout and the spray.
 
Good morning, and thanks for the coffee, Martin.

It's 54 and sunny in MA this morning, rising to 64 and clouding up a bit, later.

Yesterdays racing went well, and everyone went home unscathed.
We saw some good racing along the way, as well.
I worked turn 1, which is at the end of the front straight. Things can be ...interesting, especially during race starts. one or two left the track, but aside from the bikes, all was well. They have the whole winter to get them back up to snuff.

Today, I'll be at the track in Thompson, for the Club track day.

Obo, I've said it in the past, but again, plumbing sux. One of the happier things that resulted from our kitchen/bath reno is that all of the plumbing was replaced. It'll probably outlive me, unless I forget to take the hose off of the hose bib over the winter. Oh... I've already done that!

Enjoy the day,
Steve
 
Morning all! Sunny with some cloud. It was a foggy ride in though. 12C now, 20C later. Glad I wore the mesh jacket, just put a hoodie beneath it.

Managed to get some more paint on the house this weekend...AND...even where it was supposed to go! I know, I know, I'm a skilled Jedi Paintmaster....

Obo, I once ran a whole length of pipe to drain the sink for the kitchen reno I was doing. The inspector took one look and said good job....I inflated with pride....only for him to say, "take it all out, you've used the wrong glue"....sudden deflation.....

I have come to the conclusion that paying skilled people to do certain jobs is worth the money. It also doesn't exhaust my store of expletives.

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
G'mornin' from SoMD! After a week of stalled-front grayness and drizzles, we finally get to see some sunshine here. Two cups in and I'm deemed safe to interact with public. Thanks, Martin!

Work work work. Bills don't stop a'comin', so I keep a'workin'. Rehearsals ramp up to every evening this week. Lots of driving meaning lots of burning gas. Volunteering in a community theater is getting expensive...I want to say it'll all be worth it. I just wish gratification would fill my gas tank. Not much else happening. I'll wait a day or so for things to dry out before mowing.

I'd rather have drilled from the inside out, but the brick dictated where the hole was going. :)
Durn it! Just one brick run above or below would've avoided it. Just (un)lucky I guess. Maybe that outlet could run on hydropower?
 
Morning Martin & All from sunny, Southern Utah!

Currently it is 77F, up from 47F and heading for 84F. No breeze yet, but later we'll see some from the SW @ 7 to 9mph. Possible wet stuff early next week.

Well, speaking of bad sleeping, both Chris and I had a bad night. And I had to get up early so the fridge repair guys could come and take the fridge away, hopefully, the'll get it working right... $$$$ And Chris has an appointment with a pian doc to see what they can do for a pinched nerve she has in her back.

Then, tomorrow, it's off to SoCal.

What's left of today will be getting ready to leave tomorrow morning.

Eggs, bacon, toast, OJ & Lemon Tea. Pepsis in the cooler.

Anyone :bl13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:
 
Good morning and thanks Martin for today's wake up. 76 degrees and we have been receiving 100% of whatever chance of rain has been predicted. The rain forest can live another day.

@Obo You can add Dowsing to your resume or at least recommend which drill you were using.

One more door on the horses and I will be done again!

Stay safe!!
 
@Paul Dewalt 20v brushless drill and a Diablo spade bit. Of all the spade bits I've bought and/or still have, these are the best I've had so far. There are better, but not that I'm willing to pay for. :)

1791238371595.png

As for dowsing, my dad's boss was a dowser. He came out to our property, cut a sapling in a Y, and walked the property. Seeing it dip down, then when he walked past the spot, see it flip back up and hit him in the head, was interesting. He counted the bobs it did and said, water is at 100', and this is the only spot on the property. When they drilled the spot, they hit water at 98'. Dad said he'd seen him do it many times, and could use a dowsing rod he cut, or he could use a metal coat hanger. I'm skeptical of a lot of things like this, but I do believe that there's some science in dowsing that makes it work.... I just don't know what. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom