BamaRider
Guy
I recently completed my first "long ride" on my 15-month-old, 14.000-mile NT 1100. My definition of a long ride has evolved since 2001, when I was riding over 30k miles a year.
I tend to avoid group rides these days, but I felt compelled to return to the Blue Ridge for the 25th installment after a 10-year absence. I was there in 2001 and wanted to see old friends and meet a few new ones. I won't get into the ride (it was fun) because this post is about the bike, but the ride covered 1400 miles in 5 days in all kinds of terrain and conditions. Over 600 of those miles were in the hills and hollers.
The NT 1100 is a fine all-around motorcycle. I'm 71, no clutch is a blessing. I was stuck in the I-40 gorge for 2 hours, crawling at stop-and-go, walking speeds when I did move. I can't imagine the torture of a lever in that mess. My left hand thanked me. Uncle Phil took us on some very challenging roads, lots of shifting, up, down, up again, hundreds of shifts in 5 miles. I watched the guys in front of me sometimes find themselves in the wrong gear, their bike lurching when they let go of the clutch as they approached the curve, and lagging when they came out in too high a gear. Look, when a guy's been leaning for 7 hours, he gets tired.
I came into Newport from the Skyway and adjusted the engine brake in the ride mode menu that night. The next day in the tight hills, I seldom had to brake with the pedal. I'd read the curve, back off the throttle, let the bike shift gears, engine slow the bike, set the suspension, then roll out.
I've ridden a Honda ST 11, 13, BMW RT, and FJR in these hills, all good bikes, but they don't lean or track lines like the 200 lb. lighter NT with its IMU-connected suspension. It always had me in the correct gear. I never had to think about it.
On the negative side, the NT is tall; I'm at my limit with my 30-inch inseam. Before coming to a stop, I have to note the slope, so I know which foot to put down first. Parking with the stand going downhill is no dice, because I can't get the bike back even once mounted. On my tiptoes, I don't have the leverage to push it back to center and kick the stand up. I come into a parking lot, scan the area, and sometimes have to walk extra to the door. I can do this because I have 50+ years of experience, but if you're short like me, and have little riding experience, and want DCT, I suggest the NT 750.
On the highway, the NT is comfortable for all-day riding. I covered 400 miles home in about 8 hours, including a nonstop, 240-mile run from Newport to Rising Fawn, Ga, for gas. Speaking of which, the NT delivered 48 mpg on the 5-day ride. The NT aerodynamics, combined with the Shoei, give me a quiet experience. The only mod on my bike is an Air Hawk air cushion on the seat.
The chain needed no adjustment on the way out or on the return, but I did lube it a few days later.
This is a lot of bike for 13,000 dollars.
I tend to avoid group rides these days, but I felt compelled to return to the Blue Ridge for the 25th installment after a 10-year absence. I was there in 2001 and wanted to see old friends and meet a few new ones. I won't get into the ride (it was fun) because this post is about the bike, but the ride covered 1400 miles in 5 days in all kinds of terrain and conditions. Over 600 of those miles were in the hills and hollers.
The NT 1100 is a fine all-around motorcycle. I'm 71, no clutch is a blessing. I was stuck in the I-40 gorge for 2 hours, crawling at stop-and-go, walking speeds when I did move. I can't imagine the torture of a lever in that mess. My left hand thanked me. Uncle Phil took us on some very challenging roads, lots of shifting, up, down, up again, hundreds of shifts in 5 miles. I watched the guys in front of me sometimes find themselves in the wrong gear, their bike lurching when they let go of the clutch as they approached the curve, and lagging when they came out in too high a gear. Look, when a guy's been leaning for 7 hours, he gets tired.
I came into Newport from the Skyway and adjusted the engine brake in the ride mode menu that night. The next day in the tight hills, I seldom had to brake with the pedal. I'd read the curve, back off the throttle, let the bike shift gears, engine slow the bike, set the suspension, then roll out.
I've ridden a Honda ST 11, 13, BMW RT, and FJR in these hills, all good bikes, but they don't lean or track lines like the 200 lb. lighter NT with its IMU-connected suspension. It always had me in the correct gear. I never had to think about it.
On the negative side, the NT is tall; I'm at my limit with my 30-inch inseam. Before coming to a stop, I have to note the slope, so I know which foot to put down first. Parking with the stand going downhill is no dice, because I can't get the bike back even once mounted. On my tiptoes, I don't have the leverage to push it back to center and kick the stand up. I come into a parking lot, scan the area, and sometimes have to walk extra to the door. I can do this because I have 50+ years of experience, but if you're short like me, and have little riding experience, and want DCT, I suggest the NT 750.
On the highway, the NT is comfortable for all-day riding. I covered 400 miles home in about 8 hours, including a nonstop, 240-mile run from Newport to Rising Fawn, Ga, for gas. Speaking of which, the NT delivered 48 mpg on the 5-day ride. The NT aerodynamics, combined with the Shoei, give me a quiet experience. The only mod on my bike is an Air Hawk air cushion on the seat.
The chain needed no adjustment on the way out or on the return, but I did lube it a few days later.
This is a lot of bike for 13,000 dollars.