Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Stumbled across this item while perusing the Goldwing store. They simply replace the valve stem caps and send the pressure of each tire to a small monitor. $180. Go to thewingstore.com and click on 'Products'. Interesting. Not sure what forum to post this on.

Last edited:
Yep - sorry, I still cannot copy a web address correctly with the copy and paste function so I rely on my feeble mind and you saw how that works out! I corrected the original post.

Last edited:
I have a SmartTire system currently, and they don't make it any more. I do like it a lot, though one day the batteries in the transponders inside the wheels are going to die and are not serviceable (alledged 7 year life). Or, they're going to get broken by a tire change. I would like to get either the Kisan system or the ShowChrome system so I don't have to have transponders inside the wheel. So, I am anxiously waiting for some user reviews for my forward planning!!!!

PS - There's another one made by Doran http://doranmfg.com/

Last edited:
I have a SmartTire system currently, and they don't make it any more. I do like it a lot, though one day the batteries in the transponders inside the wheels are going to die and are not serviceable (alledged 7 year life). Or, they're going to get broken by a tire change. I would like to get either the Kisan system or the ShowChrome system so I don't have to have transponders inside the wheel. So, I am anxiously waiting for some user reviews for my forward planning!!!!

PS - There's another one made by Doran http://doranmfg.com/

I installed the ShowChrome TPMS about a month ago, and so far it has worked just fine. I removed the key chain portion from the receiver and mounted the receiver with some heavy duty Velcro to the face of the tach in such a way that I can still see the tach reading. I just turn the receiver on when I head out on a ride. The unit will auto turn off if the information it is receiving does not change in a 20 minute period. The only complaint I have is that the display could be a little larger. This was echoed by others when I researched the device, but that was about the only bad thing I could find said about the unit.

Last edited:
QUESTION:

Will the Show Chrome Tiregard model work with angled valve stems?

stellarpod

The Doran system has similar sensors, maybe a bit bigger. They informed me they would work with 90 degree valve stems without issue, so I think angled stems are lesser of an issue as long as they are metal.
I forgot to ask them about metric air!!

I get an error on the page when I try to check out. Says the certificate is no longer valid, should I trust it?

I've ordered a lot of stuff from them, no reason to worry in my opinion.

I bought the SmarTire system in 2007. It had already been discontinued, but there was an auction on eBay, and got it for about $100, shipped. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I love the peace of mind. It works pretty well, but it might take a few minutes for the back tire to register these days.

Totally worth it to me. If you ride a lot, and pick up junk in the back tire a lot, you might come out dollars ahead.

steve

I have a SmarTire system on my bike and I like it fine. It has the ability to temperature compensate and so can tell you if you are off the target pressure even when the tires are quite warm. The SmarTire sensor goes inside the wheel so it's right where it needs to be to accurately measure temperature. How do the units with the sensor screwed to the valve stem, outside the wheel manage the temperature compensation bit? Do they just ignore it?

How do the units with the sensor screwed to the valve stem, outside the wheel manage the temperature compensation bit? Do they just ignore it?

They just ignore it. The Doran motorcycle installation manual can be found here, and it only mentions pressure-induced temperature variation in the FAQs on page 16.

Joseph

I received the tiregard from Show Chrome for XMAS. I installed it within hours. I've taken the bike out only a couple of times but so far the pressure has held with no leaks. I verified this with high end tire pressure gauge. I tested the system by looseing the valve steams, and the system alerted me right away, correctly identifing which tire was lossing pressure. According to the manufacturer, there is no requirement to balance the wheels with this device. I'll have them checked anyway just to be sure. I have also purchased extra batteries just in case. The offset to the small display is the fact that it flashes when pressure is lost.

I bought the SmarTire system in 2007. It had already been discontinued, but there was an auction on eBay, and got it for about $100, shipped. I figured I couldn't go wrong.
steve

Are they really gone, or just sold to another company?

Back
Top Bottom