Wireless Tire Pressure Monitor

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
There is no doubt the SmartTire is the best one out there, and you have to love the temperature/pressure indications. It is very enlightening to monitor the temperature/pressure changes from a cold start to full warm, then see how your tires get pretty hot and can change depending on road surface types. Worth the extra bucks IMO. The only drawbacks are the risk of breaking a sensor during tire change (you MUST educate your tire changer guy!!) and the eventual battery life issue necessitating new sensors @ $80 each.
I suspect all the sensors are the same for bike or cage use, SmartTire just doesn't want to produce the bike monitor hardware any more. Shame.

According to the SmarTire web site, they just quit selling them. It does not sound like they sold the product to another company.

http://smartire.com/motorcycles

SmarTire for Motorcycles

SmarTire is no longer actively soliciting sales and distribution opportunities for its motorcycle product.​

steve
It seems as though I saw some thing like that a long time ago and I took it to mean they weren't looking for people to see it for them. I'm pretty sure I bought a new set after that was originally posted, but my memory could have failed me.

Bike
2007 ST-1300
I don't see any reason to think they wouldn't work on angled stems.
I recommend against it. I had angled valve stems and put some of those nifty Honda valve stem caps on it (they were a gift, okay!!). They are quite a bit heavier than a regular cap. Driving into work one day, I had a flat. I pulled over and saw that my rear valve stem was cracked open at the bend. Mechanic at Honda Kawasaki West (nice guy) says he has seen this a couple of times before. When the wheel spins, the cap was heavy enough to cause the stem to bend a little. Doing this a number of times (work hardening for you material science geeks), it eventually fractured. Thank goodness for Honda Roadside Assistance.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I recommend against it. I had angled valve stems and put some of those nifty Honda valve stem caps on it (they were a gift, okay!!). They are quite a bit heavier than a regular cap. Driving into work one day, I had a flat. I pulled over and saw that my rear valve stem was cracked open at the bend. Mechanic at Honda Kawasaki West (nice guy) says he has seen this a couple of times before. When the wheel spins, the cap was heavy enough to cause the stem to bend a little. Doing this a number of times (work hardening for you material science geeks), it eventually fractured. Thank goodness for Honda Roadside Assistance.
Ah-HA! That's EXACTLY the concern I had when I posted the question. And for the record; you don't have to be a "material science geek", as even a low-life salesman like me knows that! :D :D :D

stellarpod

Top Bottom