Whats the difference-MCL Adj Foot Peg brakets vs lowing foot peg brackets?

Is it worth getting the MCL Adjustable Foot Peg lowering Brackets $119.98 or the MCL driver foot peg extensions $63.95. It's only half and inch.[h=1][/h]

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
I just ordered these and am in the process of installing them and getting the brake and shifter adjusted for the new position. The non-adjustable drops the peg and brings it forward closer to the shifter. The adjustable drops the peg and moves it back and out at the same time; better for my size 13 boot (I hope :) )

Keith

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The only downside I see is the pegs become way to easy to drag with the peg lowered. Just be very careful as they will drag on a normal turn not going very fast!

OP
OP
Keith,

Thank you so much for your response. I have a size 15. Are they hard to install? Are you concerned about dragging them?

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
Keith,

Thank you so much for your response. I have a size 15. Are they hard to install? Are you concerned about dragging them?
With the stock pegs I occasionally drag a toe when cornering; the toes of my boots point downward. I am hopefull that with a bit more leg room I might keep my feet a bit more flat. I have never dragged a stock peg on this bike and hope I dont with these instaled. I'll keep you posted

Bike
Honda ST1100
I installed the MCL peg lowering brackets on my 11 yesterday. Piece of cake, no issues at all and they look great. I haven't done an longer ride test yet but I am sure both the rear brake and the shifter shaft will need to be repositioned. I have size 14 feet and the rear brake is now about an inch and a half above the front of my foot and the shifter is above and inboard to the point I can't shift or use the rear brake without lifting my foot from the peg. If there is a negative it is that the peg is repositioned a little wider and I have to twist my foot inboard to find the shifter end. Also, surprisingly they now get in the way trying to duck walk the bike, but I expect it's something you get used to in time.

But for me the HUGE and completely unexpected overriding plus is that the small rotation at the hips with the lower pegs has caused everything else to click into place. Because my lower back is just that bit rotated forward I sit a little straighter and in a more balanced position. The bars seem to fit better, the windshield (tall clearview) is positioned just right and I'm not shifting in the seat looking for the sweet spot. I wouldn't have believed it and I didn't expect it.

Randy4697

Randy W McNaught
Bike
2008 ST-1300A
I'm not sure what the best fit is for me. I'm about 5'10" with a 30" inseam. With the seat in the 'mid' position, I find my knees are a bit too bent and they get sore really easy. I can still touch the ground flat footed. I use a small gel seat pad to raise me up a touch, in order to assist my old knees. If I have the seat in the 'high' position, it helps the knees but I'm pretty much on tip toes at a traffic light. Any suggestions? I come out of a Harley Electra & Gold Wing back ground which always allowed me to stretch out.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Can the brake pedal be adjusted?
Both the brake pedal and the shifter can be adjusted. If you adjust the brake pedal, you'll also have to adjust the electrical contact for the brake light. I installed the MCL lowering brackets earlier this year, and couldn't be happier. With the lower pegs, and the Gen 3 bar risers, I find myself in a very comfortable position on the bike.

Bike
ST1300
The MCL adjustable pedals push the pegs out wider than the lowering. It was easy to adjust to height of the shifter and brake but I found I need to turn my foot inward to shift. I bought an old shift unit on ebay for $20 and had a friend weld a longer pin to it. I made the shift pin 70mm long so two of the shift rudder covers fit perfectly over it. Works great now

Bike
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
With the stock pegs I occasionally drag a toe when cornering; the toes of my boots point downward. I am hopefull that with a bit more leg room I might keep my feet a bit more flat. I have never dragged a stock peg on this bike and hope I dont with these instaled. I'll keep you posted
I wear a size 14 and have the same issue with my toes making contact and dragging on the road before anything else. I was trying to figure out if moving the pegs up, a half, to 1 whole inch would help resolve that issue. I also have a problem with my heal touching/pushing down the center stand foot pad, which is not comforting either then I think about the center stand possibly making contact in a corner. :eek:4: Hasn't happen yet, thankfully.

Do you find you are dragging peg now more then toe.. or boot?

Thanks,
Barry

Bike
2010 ST1300 ABS
Hi Barry,

I had these installed and removed them shortly thereafter. I found I draged the pegs more and had the same issue with my heal touching the center stand. Adjusting them to avoid these issues caused me hip/knee pain (I have degenerative issues with both). I would not blame the deficiency on the product, just did not work with the mechanics of my body.

They do place your feet wider out from the frame which is more comfortable but this requires you point your toes in a bit to shift brake. You may have to adjust the heigh of the shifter and brake pedals.

I ended up installing Goldwing Footpegs (from a 2011 Model). They are wider and drop a small amount.

Keith

Bike
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
Thanks for the response. I did pick up a pair of Wing pegs, they are slightly wider and longer. I wonder if anyone has modified the Center stand foot pad to lower it an inch or so.

Top Bottom