Rebuilding a Windshield Mechanism

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So since I don't want to do any real heavy work right now (to mess up my back again), like changing two sets of tires, like I need to, I decided to pull out of my storage all my ebay windshield mechanisms.

I found five, plus some extra parts, so I figured I had plenty to work with.

The first unit I tore apart, after testing, looked like maybe a bad gear or a bad cable...HA!

It had a broken dog, a totally messed up gear and the cable tubes were bent! Scratch that one...

Broken dog-s.jpg good gear-bad gear-s.jpg bentcable tubes-s.jpg

So I pulled another one out of the pile. This one worked, but was really dirty! So I tore it apart and I gathered parts and put a "good" one together.

groady-unit-s.jpg After assembly I tested it; Worked great! repairedunit-s.jpg

Some parts left over: leftovers-s.jpg Sortedparts-s.jpg

That first one I picked it because I thought it didn't look too bad...Looks can be deceiving!

I still have three more units to pull apart and see what's up with them. I know, one of the units is good, just needs cleaning.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
So I tore it apart and I gathered parts and put a "good" one together.
That reminds me of a scene from Westerns (one of them Silverado) where the hero picks through and takes pieces from several pistols to get one that lets the cylinder spin at about 80rpm with nice clicks sounds and ends up with a Colt Mjölnir.

Bike
04 ST1300
Hi just wanted to get your input. I laid my bike down last week and among other things the right side windshield metal bracket is bent. (This is the bracket to which the windshield is attached ). The mechanism still operates, although partially, because the bent bracket inhibits free motion. What are the steps to get to this mechanism. Also, someone told me that there is another metal bracket which holds the front cowl/dash, headlight etc. Can you identify that in your pictures if possible. Thanks, Dilshad Peters

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi just wanted to get your input. I laid my bike down last week and among other things the right side windshield metal bracket is bent. (This is the bracket to which the windshield is attached ). The mechanism still operates, although partially, because the bent bracket inhibits free motion. What are the steps to get to this mechanism. Also, someone told me that there is another metal bracket which holds the front cowl/dash, headlight etc. Can you identify that in your pictures if possible. Thanks, Dilshad Peters
The front cowl stay is what holds the windshield mechanism in place. Attached to the mechanism are two brackets off of what they call dogs (which break easily) the brackets connect to two more brackets, which are bolted to the windshield. If those brackets bent in your going down, yes you could screw up the mechanism.

For getting to the mechanism, check out the links above (See #3 of this thread) It goes into great detail how to get to it.

Good luck.

Bike
04 ST1300
Approximately How long does it take to get to the mechanism and would you be interested in a brief conversation regarding this. I can pm you my #

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Approximately How long does it take to get to the mechanism and would you be interested in a brief conversation regarding this. I can pm you my #
It depends on your skills at taking things apart. That write up explains it pretty good. You can have it exposed within a 1/2 hour. Once you take that cover off, it's right there and you'll be able to see if there is anything bent.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
My shield is funky since tossing the bike during that snowstorm I was caught in last March. I'll get to it sometime but for now, I can move the shield up/down as long as I pull/push on the right side. Without the pull/push it click-click-clicks without moving.

When I get to it (this winter probably), would you sell me parts from your spares when I find items flawed beyond repair?

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My shield is funky since tossing the bike during that snowstorm I was caught in last March. I'll get to it sometime but for now, I can move the shield up/down as long as I pull/push on the right side. Without the pull/push it click-click-clicks without moving.

When I get to it (this winter probably), would you sell me parts from your spares when I find items flawed beyond repair?

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
I still have several that I need to fix, so I'm not ready to sell any of those spare parts just yet, check with me when you get it apart. But, if/when I do sell the the parts, they wouldn't be cheap. I have bought a number of mechanisms off ebay, finding that not all parts are usable.

So since I don't want to do any real heavy work right now (to mess up my back again), like changing two sets of tires, like I need to, I decided to pull out of my storage all my ebay windshield mechanisms.

I found five, plus some extra parts, so I figured I had plenty to work with.

The first unit I tore apart, after testing, looked like maybe a bad gear or a bad cable...HA!

It had a broken dog, a totally messed up gear and the cable tubes were bent! Scratch that one...

Broken dog-s.jpg good gear-bad gear-s.jpg bentcable tubes-s.jpg

So I pulled another one out of the pile. This one worked, but was really dirty! So I tore it apart and I gathered parts and put a "good" one together.

groady-unit-s.jpg After assembly I tested it; Worked great! repairedunit-s.jpg

Some parts left over: leftovers-s.jpg Sortedparts-s.jpg

That first one I picked it because I thought it didn't look too bad...Looks can be deceiving!

I still have three more units to pull apart and see what's up with them. I know, one of the units is good, just needs cleaning.
Do you have any gears you want to sale or complete units, if so how much would you charge for them?

My windshield was bent a little during a tip over (it hit the wall in my garage). It still works fine but it is a little crooked. I ordered some staves from partzilla but I think the problem may be the part it’s (the stave) is attached to. Any suggestions on how to straighten it out? I’m almost afraid to take it apart because it still works.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you have any gears you want to sale or complete units, if so how much would you charge for them?
With the first unit I had to fix, I thought it was not working due to the gear. So I paid about $130 for a gear, from one of the guys on this forum, who had made a number of the gears and then sold them. After installing the new gear, my unit still had the same problem, it turned out to be a cable.

The reason I'm telling you this is, I could sell you a gear, but it might not fix your issue.

Currently I have been unable to get back to fixing anymore of those units I still have around, so I don't have any to sell.

You can do what I did and watch eBay and try your luck there to pick up one that would fix your problem. Just be aware that if it has anything bent in it, it's probably a "parts only" unit and may not have everything you would need to fix yours.

Honda didn't do us any favors when they designed these units and not allowing us to just buy "parts" to fix them.

My windshield was bent a little during a tip over (it hit the wall in my garage). It still works fine but it is a little crooked. I ordered some staves from partzilla but I think the problem may be the part it’s (the stave) is attached to. Any suggestions on how to straighten it out? I’m almost afraid to take it apart because it still works.
The only way you'll know what's bent it to take the upper cowl cover off and inspect the mechanism.

If the Upper Cowl Stay is bent, you could always try straightening it out. I just replace them with Cop Stays, which have the two "ears" that connect to the upper cowl, are re-enforced, so they can take a little more beating than the stock ones do. Just watch on ebay, I'f picked up a couple of good ones that way.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
It depends on your skills at taking things apart. That write up explains it pretty good. You can have it exposed within a 1/2 hour. Once you take that cover off, it's right there and you'll be able to see if there is anything bent.
I think a lot of us are intimidated by the work needed to get the mechanism out of the bike - I certainly was until I read the article. I probably won't touch it until it gives me headaches.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
SupraSabre,

Approximately how much were the Windshield mechanisms that you purchased in the past going for on e-bay? I'm not finding any at the moment, there's a motor but not the complete mechanism.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
SupraSabre,

Approximately how much were the Windshield mechanisms that you purchased in the past going for on e-bay? I'm not finding any at the moment, there's a motor but not the complete mechanism.

I haven't met a motor that's quit yet... I've got several of those too...

I paid around $300 for a new one about 7 or 8 years ago. The broken ones I've picked up have been between $30 (not much good on it) to about $100.

I collected mine over a couple of years time, they come and go.

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
A brand new assembly is just under $400 at Revzilla. That sounds like a lot, but it means a good assembly that can be greased properly prior to installation that should last another 10 years like the last one. Plus I don't have to wait for the parts to come up on ebay. I usually see motors with no gears anyway. I haven't seen cables that often and I would be suspect as to their condition in the first place.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A brand new assembly is just under $400 at Revzilla. That sounds like a lot, but it means a good assembly that can be greased properly prior to installation that should last another 10 years like the last one. Plus I don't have to wait for the parts to come up on ebay. I usually see motors with no gears anyway. I haven't seen cables that often and I would be suspect as to their condition in the first place.
Since I wasn't in immediate need, I could take my time and pick and choose. And like I said, some are okay, some are not, but I know out of the bunch, I should have three good working units once I'm done (and I didn't pay $1,200 for them!)

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Good point for sure. I think I have learned more from you on this forum than from anyone else. I wasn't trying to offend you. I hope you didn't take it that way.

Top Bottom