SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good point for sure. I think I have learned more from you on this forum than from anyone else. I wasn't trying to offend you. I hope you didn't take it that way.
No problem, just explaining why I have gone the direction I have.

The bikes I rode before the ST1300, were mid 80's V45 & V65 Sabres (owned one of each when I bought my first ST1300) One major problem I had was finding parts for 20+ year old motorcycle. Once I was forced (due to gas prices) to commute on my ST1300, I decided that I wasn't going to go through that problem again.

All it takes is one stupid little o-ring to take a bike out of service while waiting for a part, so I started stocking up on parts. The after rebuilding these three, I found it way too expensive to rely on all new stuff. But in doing all of this, gets me to watch ebay and this forum for new & used parts. I've got a good stock pile of most of them now. I have at least, another four years of commuting, that's close to 120,000 miles that I'll be putting in. Yeah, one bike could do it, but the stress is less when you have a back up and back up parts! :cool:

With the first unit I had to fix, I thought it was not working due to the gear. So I paid about $130 for a gear, from one of the guys on this forum, who had made a number of the gears and then sold them. After installing the new gear, my unit still had the same problem, it turned out to be a cable.

The reason I'm telling you this is, I could sell you a gear, but it might not fix your issue.

Currently I have been unable to get back to fixing anymore of those units I still have around, so I don't have any to sell.

You can do what I did and watch eBay and try your luck there to pick up one that would fix your problem. Just be aware that if it has anything bent in it, it's probably a "parts only" unit and may not have everything you would need to fix yours.

Honda didn't do us any favors when they designed these units and not allowing us to just buy "parts" to fix them.

The only way you'll know what's bent it to take the upper cowl cover off and inspect the mechanism.

If the Upper Cowl Stay is bent, you could always try straightening it out. I just replace them with Cop Stays, which have the two "ears" that connect to the upper cowl, are re-enforced, so they can take a little more beating than the stock ones do. Just watch on ebay, I'f picked up a couple of good ones that way.
I would be happy to buy a gear from you for $130.00, my cables are in good shape, the gear is trashed. I'm new to the forum, so i don't know how to get the information to get the gear from you. If you could help me with that, I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would be happy to buy a gear from you for $130.00, my cables are in good shape, the gear is trashed. I'm new to the forum, so i don't know how to get the information to get the gear from you. If you could help me with that, I would appreciate it.
Message sent!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Boa tarde, onde posso encontrar o mecanismo de mecanismo de pára-brisa

That would be:
Good afternoon where can i find the windshield engine mechanism

Answer... sorry no speaky the Latin?

I found my used/broken ones on ebay.

I have no idea for your part of the world. You're only other choices are to check motorcycle wrecking yards or Honda Dealers.

BTW, ST1300Ps (cop bikes), the windshield mechanisms are identical to ST1300s!

Okay, I’m new to the forum. Just bought a 2005. Haven’t even put 500 miles on it when the windshield quit working. What are the first steps I need to take? I’ve read that it’s probably not the motor. I have next to zero mechanical skills. #prettybummed. Any advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, I’m new to the forum. Just bought a 2005. Haven’t even put 500 miles on it when the windshield quit working. What are the first steps I need to take? I’ve read that it’s probably not the motor. I have next to zero mechanical skills. #prettybummed. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum!

Check out this thread...it has PDFs attached that will explain it pretty good.

Windshield remove and clean

Top Bottom