Article [13] ST1300 - Key Knob Farkle with pics

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I saw this farkle at OH-Stoc on someones bike and thought it was a good idea. I went to Radio Shack for knobs but wasn't really happy with the knobs or the amount of work needed to turn them into key knobs so I went looking for another alternative. I found the bottle caps from certain Yamalube products to be the right size and a good match for the ST's plastics. I got the service manager at the local shop where I bought my bike (Hon/Yam) to save me 4 caps (1 spare) off of the Yamalube tank cleaner and sealant bottles. The ones off Yamalube 4 stroke motor oil would do just as well. The really nice part about this is there are no insides to gut like on the radio shack knobs.

I went to Ace Hardware and had them make me 3 short DA23 code keys. I also picked up some Ace 2 part 5 minute epoxy.

The green cap you see in the pic is my practice cap, with a popsicke stick practice key.

I squirted some of the epoxy into my green practice cap, then added an equal amount of hardener, stirred it up thoroughly and stuck the practice key in the middle. Even though it was 5 min epoxy, it didn't set up that fast, so I used 2 more popsicle sticks to hold it straight up and down while it hardened.

After 15 mins I removed the prop sticks and a successful practice knob was made

I used a dremel tool to cut off 1/2 the top of the key, and a bench grinder to make it the right length and width for my caps. Here the first key is cut to fit. I did the same to the other two.

If you saw my "Where could it have gone thread" in the general forum, yoou note I dropped one of the keys while trial fitting and it fell into the bowels of my ST. Had to pull half the bike apart to get it back out. WARNING: Do not drop your key between the faiting and gas tank. Bad things can happen.

Anyhow with the bike reassembled it was time to continue:

Here's a key, a lid, the epoxy and a stir stick

I poured the epoxy right into the lid until it was 1/3 full.. I poured the hardener into the lid until it was 2/3 full. Then used a popsicle stick to mix the two parts together thoroughly

I then stuck the head of the key down into the epoxy and held it there for a minute or two

I then set it aside with the popsicle stick supports and started on the next one. Here's a pic of 2 done and the last one curing

and here are the 3 knobs completed

Fairing pocket

Left Saddlebag

Right saddlebag

It was an easy project if you don't count tearing the motorcycle apart looking for a lost key ha ha, but hopefully you won't have to go thru that.

Costs:

3 Keys DA23 Ace Hardware $2.29 each ...$6.87
1 Two part 5 min Epoxy Ace Hardware $4.49
3 Caps off Yamalube Tank Cleaner & Sealant $ 0

Total cost of project $ 11.36

One last step. Took a small drill bit and drilled a dimple in the top lined up with the key and then took some white paint on a toothpick and filled the dimple. Now it will be easy to tell if the locks are in the closed or open position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Re: ST 1300 Key Fob Farkle with pics

Wow you did a great job! Looks really nice & is useful! Many kudos! :)

Re: ST 1300 Key Knob Farkle with pics

Looks very professional but I'm sorry I don't understand the purpose..Why would I leave my key in the fairing pocket lock or saddlebag? And you do remove it, it will be unweildy to turn being that it is now a round knob vs a flat piece of metal or plastic housing. Here in Canada, where most of my riding is in cold weather, my gloved hand would never grasp this key and I'd end up &^%%&* at it! Up here it has to be practical.

Maverick

Goose
Bike
ST1300 (2007)

I've seen this done before and it's still a good idea :) Easy steps to follow, well done.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #

Good write up with pix. I used water bottle caps and painted them black. I like the higher profile of the knobs you used. With gloves on, I can't grip mine well because they are low profile. Methinks I'll remake the two for the bags and leave the bottle cap on the fairing pocket. Thanks for the info on the short blank.

Del

Nice work, mine are nearly identical except I painted a white line across the sadlebag locks. This way I can look in the mirrors and at a glance see if they are locked or not. Mine seldom leave the locks and if they do the knobs make them a lot easier to to keep track of.
Michael

Bike
03 ST1300

Very Nice Ferret ....

I really like the concept, only I find myself in places/situations to where I do not want to leave access to my stuff ...... Since they are removable I still may do it for when the occasion comes that security is not that important. Just need to find me some caps ! I called two of my local shops today and they said they dont use the Yamalube Tank Cleaner & Sealant. Maybe they just didnt want to fool with me. I didnt ask for the caps tho, ust if they carried it. Im sure I will find a nice substitute ......

Thanks for the Tut !

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

I paid too much for the Radio Shack knobs, but they had the white dot and are multi-faceted so I can grasp them with my thickest gloves. I remove the knobs and toss them in the top box when the bike is parked outside of my locked garage. They also work for the gas tank. So I pull up, leave the key burried in the risers and open the tank with the knob-key. Then, back she goes in the saddlebag lock.

Sometimes I lock them in the left fairing pocket. Next you know, there will be wireless fobs to open the trunk and bags, much like cars have today.

:04biker: Blue, the bestest color of them all :04biker:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Looks very professional but I'm sorry I don't understand the purpose..Why would I leave my key in the fairing pocket lock or saddlebag? And you do remove it, it will be unweildy to turn being that it is now a round knob vs a flat piece of metal or plastic housing. Here in Canada, where most of my riding is in cold weather, my gloved hand would never grasp this key and I'd end up &^%%&* at it! Up here it has to be practical.
Reason? 1.) There are times I want to open a saddlebag with the engine on. 2.) If I ever need to jump start my bike I'll have to ride away without my right saddlebag as you need a key to replace it.

I used knurled knobs a little bigger than those shown in this thread. I have no problems turning them with gloves on.

For security when leaving the bike I can drop the "bag key" in the left hand fairing pocket and lock it out of sight. Most of the time I just leave it in one of the locks as I have nothing in the bags worth a thief's time. The bag key itself is too short to work in the ignition.

Bike
'09 ST1300A

Next you know, there will be wireless fobs to open the trunk and bags, much like cars have today.

:04biker: Blue, the bestest color of them all :04biker:

Gold Wings have this. It's sweet. Hard to get used to the locked bags on the ST.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Re: ST1300 Key Knob Farkle with pics

Yah................I liked it allot !

Im always fighting the handle on the case...even with a single key with a rubber honda fob on it....its a pain, getting trapped under the handle.

And my other key.... (on the house set), stays in my pocket for emergency.

Im not a huge worry wart about people messen with my bike either.
Heck, the way it all blends in....nobody would know whats what anyway.

Too bad Honda has'nt refinded this by now....seems abit archayic no?
Self cancel signals should have been fazed in slowly as well.

Still love every aspect of my ST though.....

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #

Just got mine done today. Went to the gas station to fill up on the way home went to unlock the fuel lid but wait :think1: I don't have to pull out the ignition key I'll just use the glove box key!!!:woo

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I decided to use the Radio Shack knobs, part # 274-416 -- a package of 4 hexagonal knobs with molded brass inserts and set-screws. The knobs fit a 0.250" shaft.

Follow these measurements, and save some time.

Cut off the DA23 key head leaving 0.500" of key above the shoulder that limits the depth of insertion into the lock. Before I retired, I would have then centered the key stub in a 4-jaw chuck on a little lathe and turned the cut end down to 0.250" diameter for 0.375" from where the head was cut off. That would leave a little 1/8" tall tab on both sides.

Drop the key into the knob. It should go in all the way to the tabs. How you align the key with the indicator line on the knob depends on where you intend to use it. The depth-limiting shoulder should now be flush with the face of the knob. If everything is straight and square, mix up some epoxy and pot the key in the knob hole.

Since I no longer have access to a lathe, I had to make my modifications with a Dremel tool and a hand file, but it still came out pretty good.

Bike
ST 1300A
STOC #

Good job,

Two things:
1 - I think it is tricky to leave keys in the side bags, if you have a sort of Alzheimer like me...In the fairing pocket I have an ugly key, so I will order the products of your shopping list.
2 - In the total cost I miss the costs of the 2 ice cream sticks. This could add a couple of $$ to the project.

Very Nice Ferret ....

..... Just need to find me some caps ! I called two of my local shops today and they said they dont use the Yamalube Tank Cleaner & Sealant. Maybe they just didnt want to fool with me. I didnt ask for the caps tho, ust if they carried it. Im sure I will find a nice substitute ......

Thanks for the Tut !
Great idea and great write up. I use the cap of the CRC Brake Cleaner from Autozone parts store. You can also find this brake cleaner from other national chain auto parts stores. The cap has the same diameter as the lock, it has ridges on the sides and a grove across the top of the cap to use as reference of where the position of the key if you mount the key along the groove of the cap.

The cleaner is a also an excellent degreaser for automotive use. I also use it to degrease my guns.

The link below has pictures of the product.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-14-oz-Brakleen-Non-Chlorinated-brake-parts-cleaner/_/N-25h0?counter=3&filterByKeyWord=crc+brake+cleaner&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=219615_0_0_

Top Bottom