I hate those mices to pieces!

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
My bike was violated! It's home is always in the garage under cover as it has been since new 15 months ago. The last time I took a ride was 2 weeks ago. Yes, we do have a mouse problem and we catch on average about 5-7 mice/week in a Havahart trap and release them across the street (300') or in the neighbor's yard ;)

Anyway, I'm all suited up ready to ride to an account and I mean hey, my bike always starts, right? Wrong. It just cranks. I'm pissed. Now I have to get undressed and take the cage. I come home and take the seats off and there's a nice nest in the tail. The carpet muncher ate through my tool bag and the rubber tie-down strap. So I clean everything out and there are no visible wires chewed through. The FI light blinks 1 long and 2 short but I can't find anything in the manual the deciphers the blinks without installing the special shorting tool. The only thing I could derive from the manual is something with the MAP sensor.

So, where do I go from here? I'm going to remove the tail and check all that out...and then put some real death traps in the garage :mad: I did have a heart until they ate the forbidden fruit. :cus:

Attachments

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
5-7 mice/week
DOH!
You trained them to come get food and they finally decided to live closer to the food!

Sorry I can't help track it down other than to note you might want to look under the air box to see if they were chowing down under there...

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The MAP sensor is under the air box between the air intakes of the throttle bodies. They could have chewed a few wires under there.

Kevin

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Remove the air filter housing and check around the injectors. They like to nest there and probally ate through a few wires.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I opened the air box but did not remove it. No signs of anything...real clean inside. I'll pull it off completely over the weekend. Thanks!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I think you need a big hungry cat! That is just wrong to do that to your ST. I hope you find the problems and it is an easy fix to get it running again. Good luck!

:usflag1:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I opened the air box but did not remove it. No signs of anything...real clean inside.
There isn't a path for the meezus to get in the air box unless they can gnaw through the metal screen on the air filter. You want to be looking underneath, where a number of us (excluding myself, fortunately) have found big nests.

One long blink and two short blinks is a code 12, which is a problem with the fuel injector on cylinder number one. My money is on the meezus having chewed through the wiring, which is very common. You'll need to replace the throttle body sub-harness, which is part number 32103-MCS-770 and runs about $70.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300/ABS
My bike was violated! It's home is always in the garage under cover as it has been since new 15 months ago. The last time I took a ride was 2 weeks ago. Yes, we do have a mouse problem and we catch on average about 5-7 mice/week in a Havahart trap and release them across the street (300') or in the neighbor's yard ;)

Anyway, I'm all suited up ready to ride to an account and I mean hey, my bike always starts, right? Wrong. It just cranks. I'm pissed. Now I have to get undressed and take the cage. I come home and take the seats off and there's a nice nest in the tail. The carpet muncher ate through my tool bag and the rubber tie-down strap. So I clean everything out and there are no visible wires chewed through. The FI light blinks 1 long and 2 short but I can't find anything in the manual the deciphers the blinks without installing the special shorting tool. The only thing I could derive from the manual is something with the MAP sensor.

So, where do I go from here? I'm going to remove the tail and check all that out...and then put some real death traps in the garage :mad: I did have a heart until they ate the forbidden fruit. :cus:
About a year ago, the morning after a major 2000 mile trip, I went to start my ST, but nothing, totally dead, no fire. After an investigation, discovered a mother mouse and six babies nested in the air cleaner area, plus they had chewed through all of my fuel injector wires. It was about a $500 expense to repair the damage. I now have a barn cat living in my bike garage, and the problem seems to be solved. It is amazing how fast mice can destroy the wiring in an ST.:bat1:

Side note: The mother mouse and six babies were fed to my barn cat!

STOC #
You let the mice go? :D Do you hate your neighbors that much? Take the mice for a swim. Get a 5 gallon plastic pail, a piece of wood like a paint STirring STick and a little peanut butter. Put three inches of water in the bucket. Put peanut butter on one end of the stick. Balance STick on edge of bucket with smelly end over the water. Allow the mice a pathway to get on the STick. When they walk the plank, they are in the drink and I haven't found one yet that can tread water more than a few hours. I did see a cat watching one go round and round for a while though.

Last edited:
Bike
99 ST1100
Re: I hate those meeses to pieces!

One long blink and two short blinks is a code 12, which is a problem with the fuel injector on cylinder number one. My money is on the meezus having chewed through the wiring, which is very common. You'll need to replace the throttle body sub-harness, which is part number 32103-MCS-770 and runs about $70.

--Mark

Is this a great website or what?

:usflag2:

PS: Mcreviver scares me a little with his mouse bucket of doom:eek:4:

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
One long blink and two short blinks is a code 12, which is a problem with the fuel injector on cylinder number one. My money is on the meezus having chewed through the wiring, which is very common. You'll need to replace the throttle body sub-harness, which is part number 32103-MCS-770 and runs about $70. Mark
Thanks Mark! Now...how do you get to that stuff? What's gotta come off?

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Take the mice for a swim. Get a 5 gallon plastic pail, a piece of wood like a paint STirring STick and a little peanut butter. Put three inches of water in the bucket. Put peanut butter on one end of the stick. Balance STick on edge of bucket with smelly end over the water. .
Use a dry bucket. Place live mouse in acetylene cannon, MOUSE-TRONAUTS!! Send them smoking into the next county.
Don't be gentle, these are vermin, the cause of much disease and death. Might as well have some fun with them.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks Mark! Now...how do you get to that stuff? What's gotta come off?
If you don't mind working in cramped quarters, remove all of the plastic on the left side, raise the tank (which should be close to empty to avoid spills) and completely remove the air box. After you de-meezus the area underneath, you should be able to disconnect the eight connectors on the harness, thread it out from under the throttle bodies and remove it. The other end is tucked in behind one of the frame members. Installation should be the reverse of removal.

Acara1796 has actually done this job before and might have some additional advice.

--Mark

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Fargin' Bastages! Time to order a harness :( How long does it take to install? Looks like it's snaked around quite a bit in narrow quarters. Do I have to remove the tank (probably easier)?

And mucho thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great advice, information and support that they provide!!! I am PROUD to be a member of this elite group :D

But with a sunny and warm forecast the next 10 days I am DISAPPOINTED! :cus:

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Use a dry bucket. Place live mouse in acetylene cannon, MOUSE-TRONAUTS!! Send them smoking into the next county.
Don't be gentle, these are vermin, the cause of much disease and death. Might as well have some fun with them.
How do you make a mouse bark like a dog?
Douse it in lighter fluid and toss a lit match on it.
It will go "woof!"

Yes, that's wrong, and I know I'm wrong... so two wrongs make a right, right?

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
How do you make a mouse bark like a dog?
Douse it in lighter fluid and toss a lit match on it.
It will go "woof!"
I heard it as a cat.

The other half of that joke is how do you make a dog sound like a cat? Flash freeze it and push it over the table saw. Meeeeooowwwww....

Let's let poor BoSTon deal with his meezus problem in peace.

--Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
That's ugly!

I believe you should use the time constructively... while you wait; go out and get you some of those critters.
Lots and lots of them... and as you have previously noted you might want to skip the have-a-heart trap...

Top Bottom