I hate those mices to pieces!

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
I had some mice chew the sparkplug wires on my garden tractor in my shed. The wires are permanently attached to the coil so its an expensive replacement. Twin cyclinder, twice. I read somewhere online that peppermint oil extract placed on cotton balls will repel them. So far it appears to be working. Or you could try placing the peppermint oil directly on the mouse balls they probably wouldn't like that either. I chose the cotton balls. I figured I'd get that out of the way before someone else suggested it.

In either case it has to be peppermint oil extract. I just started this but haven't noticed any evidence of their presence yet.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Got the harness replaced but she's still in pieces pending HID & 12V for electrics. I've been/will be out of town for 6 out of 8 weeks beginning a couple weeks ago and ending 11/19 so haven't had time to do ANYTHING :cus: Hell, it looks like Christmas at this point before I'll have her back together! Not the way I wanted to end my summer :mad:

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
moth balls seem to work well . I used to live in Iowa and we always put moth balls under the seat and set them on the motor under the gas tank , stuff like that . One friend used to lock his bike up for warmer weatehr and jsut threw a box or two arounf the shed he kept his bike in and didnt open the shed for months . No mice problem as the ydont seem to like the smell . remember to remove any left overs as you wont like that smell either
JMHO as I dont have a mouse problem yet .......

+1 on the moth balls. Cheap 'n' easy. I put a few in leftover frozen dinner pans and put the pans around anywhere the m-c touches the garage floor.

Plus it's fun going into a store and asking where I would find moth balls. ;)

pete

Bike
st 1100
got them in the dam house zapped 9 so far in bout 2 weeks bin here 20 years nothing now 9 in 2 weeks just took out 2 at a time in one trap :D
i have become a serial killer killed 14 of the little blighters last one 5 days ago maybe i got em all now? discovered where they were getting into house so bought a can of expanding foam will get that in as soon as i get a chance :D

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
i have become a serial killer killed 14 of the little blighters last one 5 days ago maybe i got em all now? discovered where they were getting into house so bought a can of expanding foam will get that in as soon as i get a chance :D
Add broken glass bits to the foam as they will paw right thru the foam if they want in.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
This has been working great, but can be a little disconcerting to hear them frying inside. But I'll toss them into a wood pile and by the end of the day they're gone :eek: Either they're coming back from the dead or some hungry animal is scarfing them down...

Attachments

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
So FAR I've, MAYBE, PERHAPS, got a solution. Take 16 ft. of 10 in. sheet metal flashing and surround the bike on the floor. Clamp or clothes pin the two ends together... Probably better than a moat... the moat will freeze and they will skate on it before they cross to eat the wiring insulation. A cat or a trap can miss one PREGNANT mouse who will be all that is needed to FU yur wiring.:run1:

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Good idea, maybe they won't decide to jump. "Why did the mouse jump the fence?"

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Named after this Leon?

leon.jpg

Since they're both in the same business...

--Mark

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Named after this Leon?--Mark
Leon the cat is "sideman" to Claude the cat; Leon showed up one day, and Claude took him under his wing. Leon is named after one of the best known sidemen in Western Swing, Leon McAuliffe (steel guitar player with Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys.) As Wills used to say, "Take it away, Leon."

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Well, they did it again!

A few weeks ago my 14 year old snowblower started leaking what looked like oil, sputtered and died in the yard. I hauled it back into the (unheated) garage and since it was only around 5? out I got a neighbor to plow. Preliminary inquiries suggested the transfer case and around $550 to fix :-( I searched for a replacement blower but due to the 80" of snowfall this season already they are in short supply and expensive! I finally got around to taking it apart and found a huge pile of burlap et all wrapped all around the chain and pulleys. I cleaned and lubed everything up and the blower started on the first pull. I still see some stuff dripping out but I think it's just the grease residue mixed with snow melt. I'm hopeful she'll run another 10 years now. Looks like it's time for more moth balls...

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I'm not the worlds biggest cat fan, but I wholeheartedly support a furry buddy to help solve your problem.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I'm not the worlds biggest cat fan, but I wholeheartedly support a furry buddy to help solve your problem.
We have 2 cats but they don't go into the garage or shed where the bike and other machinery are kept; too cold to leave the doors open. They will catch them when they get in the house though.

Top Bottom