Raven Down But OK

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Sorry to hear this Raven, hope you are okay and heal quickly! Thoughts and prayers your way.

OP
OP
STriders
STOC #
990/30
High siding into the median of a highway does not sound like something that took place at a low speed. If a sore foot and elbow are her only injuries that is miraculous. WOW!

Heal up girl.
That road used to be 2 lanes, but in recent years was improved and expanded to 4 lanes with a healthy (and civilized) median between the north- and southbound lanes.

Speed is regulated now since the improvements, as the road is the main radioactive waste route down to the WIPP site.

Before the improvements, I think 90mph was the norm, regardless of posted speed, with little police intervention. I used to make good time once south of Vaughn. But because of the precautions for waste transport, the po-po is mighty active and cues in to shenanigans rather quickly.

That said, one could assume, based on the speed limit on other waste-transport roads, that the speed limit is on the low side through there now.

OP
OP
STriders
STOC #
990/30
Make sure Dace knows to give me a call if there is anything I can do for her. Until that happens, I'll just send her the good vibes she asked for and maybe say a little prayer that she's ok. Everything else is just details.
Will do, Dana.

Linda

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Well, that sure stinks! Dace is one of my heros. Heal well and hope you're back in the saddle soon.

John

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
This is ugly news!

Glad to hear the gear worked and sad to know the bike isn't going to make it.

Thanks for the updates; glad to know you're on top of this Linda.

Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Raven, hope everything works out OK. I know what the ST does with a flat rear tire at low speed, can't imagine what you went through at highway speed before you got thrown off. Prayers for a quick and easy recovery.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Yikes! Really sorry to hear this but glad you're OK, Raven!
Good thoughts to you for a quick recovery!

Patty

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Wow!! Sorry to hear about this, Raven. I was looking forward to seeing you at SeaSTOC. Best wishes & prayers for a quick recovery.

Byron

STOC #
Raven, heal quickly and don't give the staff too much trouble as you know they are only trying to help. :)

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Raven is being sent to X-ray - she may have cracked her elbow. They are also going to check out her foot. So this will be the last news until Raven gets her phone back. She'll be mighty sore tomorrow.

She thinks she high-sided. She headed for the median (as opposed to the ditch) when the tire failed and physics took over. She said it seemed like the rear end locked up.

This tire was the Avon she just had put on.

The tire is shredded, and the bike may be totaled. She'll send pics later.

She has a few light abrasions, mostly where the gear shifted as she slid/tumbled.

Also, the folks happening by who stopped to help were mostly first responders. One was a fireman. They helped her get all the gear off of and out of the bike, so she has all her stuff with her.

She doesn't think the hospital will admit her, and arrangements are being made for hotel room tonight and rental car to get her home, should that be the appropriate action to take.
Hotel, etc. sounds like the right move if the hospital doesn't admit her. Are you there with her? Or is there someone close by that can check on her or assist is she needs help? I'll be bettin' on one sore puppy tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
STriders
STOC #
990/30
Thanks for the good vibes for Raven. She really appreciates it!

Nothing is broken, and she has some pain meds and a cab to the Super 8 for the night.

She'll call again when she is settled in her hotel room. She sounded kinda groggy, so I'm not sure if she's coming down from the adrenalin of her very event-filled late afternoon/evening or stoned out of her gourd. I'm thinking some of each, but mostly the latter.

I wish now that I headed that way at the first call, but planning was a little hard to do at the time, especially with the paramedics telling her about the precautionary hospital trip. Lots of uncertainty. Hindsight and all that. At least she wouldn't be in a hotel room all alone after such a traumatic event. She could be in our spare bedroom being cared for and teased a bit by friends.

She sent a pic of the bike. I'll upload it after this.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Here's to hoping discomfort and inconvenience are the bulk of your problems. Rest easy, I'm sure that was one hell of a jolt. Report in when you can.

Top Bottom