Raven Down But OK

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
That's one ugly tire!

Glad you came through it as well as you did!!!

I agree with what has already been stated, someone needs to answer for the catastrophic failure that the tire suffered...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Wow - Glad you came through this. Time to take a deep breath and be thankful, it could have been so much worse. Machines can be fixed, so take your time dealing with this, the road will be there waiting for you when it is time. We shall see what kind of company Avon is. My best to you and I hope you heal your body and mind quickly.

Dan

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yep, I'm kind of amazed to be here myself b/c I could tell it was gonna be bad.

The ER folks seemed pretty amazed, too.

Now that I'm laying here in the hotel, I'm kind of amazed they didn't do a head CT even though I don't think I lost consciousness b/c the helmet took a hard knock. I'm also amazed I'm not spending the night there, just for observation.

I kind of lucked out in that all of the first responders are first responders. Had a couple of paramedics, a fire captan, and an off-duty hiway patrol. Almost got a chopper ride to ABQ but they decided that I wasn't bleeding and I wasn't paralyzed so....

I may take myself in for a head check (just to be on the safe side) because of the nauseousness I've been feeling (still think it's adrenaline but I'm setting my alarm for every few hours and have a mirror to check my pupils, just to be on the safe side).

HondaDave

David Hamlin
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
OMG..... That is not a pretty tire.

I sure am a little concerned about your nausea. You are probably on the right track in wanting to get your head checked out, especially if the nausea does not clear.

You will probably not feel to great tomorrow. Take your time in healing up.

David

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
Add that Avon doesn't recommend the Storm 2 Ultras for the ST... I was told -- by AVON -- to remove the tires from my ST1300.

STOC #
Raven
I just got the news and it pretty much sucks. The good thing is that by the time I got on here you were posting. Take good care of yourself( it sounds like you are) and keep us posted. Give me a call if I can help in any of the aftermath issues.
Tony

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Damn. I just hate to read stuff like this.
Glad you're OK, but I would definitely get a check up on the head. (possible concussion)

A less experienced rider probably wouldn't have handled it as well as you did.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad to see you posting Dace.
Let me (and Chris) know if you need any help in Tucson.

Mark

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Truth told, the hospital seemed pretty small with dated technology. Not 100% they could have done a scan even if they'd wanted to.....

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Checked pressure this morning.

Yes, it was mounted in the correct direction.

Yep, blows my mind but you can see it delaminated and just peeled back....

don't even know where to start with dealing with this.....
You have to get this tyre back to Avon for them to look at and try and determine if it's a manufacturing defect. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence!!!

Hope you get back to full fitness soon! Good to see that you were wearing all the right gear too, when I had my Big One back in March, (on a Tiger 1050), it was my gear that saved me from much more than the 3 months of recovery that I suffered.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
...I may take myself in for a head check (just to be on the safe side) because of the nauseousness I've been feeling (still think it's adrenaline but I'm setting my alarm for every few hours and have a mirror to check my pupils, just to be on the safe side).
Sensible.

Sorry to hear you're down and for no good cause, too (just seen Karen's post in Top 50 thread). She's so callous. Anyway, take time on the re-set and if you have a windscreen motor assembly that survived the spill give me a shout...? ;)

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I'm appalled at the state of that tyre! :mw1:

Raven, so glad you're still with us to tell us about it. Be sure to get yourself checked out thoroughly.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Add that Avon doesn't recommend the Storm 2 Ultras for the ST... I was told -- by AVON -- to remove the tires from my ST1300.
Like Tim stated, these aren't recommended for the 1300 so I don't see how the manufacturer would be at fault.

Glad you're okay and hope you heal quickly.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Hope you're okay Raven. Amazing to see a tire do that, on a bike no less... wow is all I can say.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Wow, it took out the rear fender before you went down!!! Damnit girl, that must have been a hell of a ride!!! Glad you are posting and will continue prayers for a complete recovery of you and another bike.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
Dace, you don't know how glad I am to see you posting. Please go and get your head checked (CT not Shrink....well, oh never mind) it sounds like it would be a sensible precaution. Remember that Karen and I both had pretty good concussions from a head knock and I think you do too. One thing about brain trauma is that it affects your judgment and it's really hard to self diagnose.

We just want you to be safe. Give George a call if you need help, call anyone you want, but don't hesitate to call. We're all raring at the bit to lend assistance.

Checked pressure this morning.

Yes, it was mounted in the correct direction.

Yep, blows my mind but you can see it delaminated and just peeled back....

don't even know where to start with dealing with this.....
Sorry to hear about the accident Raven. Heal up quick!

Tire was definitely mounted in the right direction. You can see the arrow in this pic.

Attachments

Top Bottom