STock Exhaust Modifications.

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
Well, it is done.

I will make this two posts, first is the actual modification work, second is the sound of the ST.

I bought a set of mufflers off of ebay, $32(what a STEAL!) and shipping was $40(huh?) So far $72.

I happened to find a great welding/Fabrication shop right across the street from work. When I say find, it is a strip of mall stores, but it is two rows, and I never have looked at the second row. Someone told me to check the Prop shop, a high performance boat prop company. They work with a fabrication shop in the second row, who does their bimini's and other aluminum fab work.
He welds anything.

Perfect.

I talk with Ed, the owner and tell him what I want. Cut the front of the pipe, behind the Cat, and I will take it and perform the various unknown mod's to the pipe and then bring it back and he will then weld it back together. $100 each pipe. For me it is worth the attempt. Deal.

I drop the mufflers off with him, he will call me later that day and let me know they are done and I can pick them up. Later that day, no call. Next day no call. I stop by the shop and he is just going in the door. Long story short, he could not get to it, and he will do it right now. Great!

It was a little rough finding the exact spot were the seam was, but the second one was cut in about 15 minutes. First one took an hour!

After we get the first one open, shock, amazment and respect for the quality of honda products. This muffler is built like it has to go to MARS on the next mission! They could upscale this muffler and attach it to the space shuttle and no one would know it was taking off! It is really well made, stainless BAFFLE screen inside, heat barrier between the inside baffle set up and the outer case. I was impressed.

Cut the first one open. The screen was already cut open with a plasma cutter so I laid it back in for a pic. I TRIED for 30 minutes to hack and chisel it out with little (none) success. Plasma? 30 seconds.

Behind the screen was a SOLID (originally flat...:rolleyes: ) plate except for one tube that went to about 3-4 inches before the end of the muffler, which ended in a chamber. (continued after pic)

From that chamber one tube (the medium size tube) came back towards the front of the muffler, into another smaller chamber, then out through the two small tubes and out.

So at this point, I am wondering why the heck I am wasting my time and money. They will be too loud, since it is basicly a straight through pipe now, with very little muffleing ability.

I am commited so I might as well smile. :(

After a long time hacking and cutting and hammering (if you try this yourself, skip the hammer part, it is a waste of time) They are ready to be welded.

Ed, welding. The first muffler that we cut, was not a clean cut since Ed could not tell were the joint was. So while the second muffler was welded in less then 30 minutes, the FIRST muffler took 2 HOURS! The gap was too large, so it was weld, fix, weld, fix, weld....and so on. I gave him the option to finish it tomorrow, even though I really wanted them done, he said he would continue so I didn't bring it up again.

This is the seam and lip.

The first done muffler. I forgot to take a pic of the POLISHED, finished mufflers, they look AMAZING, but here is the muffler, finished but with rough welds and DIRTY.

I will take pictures and add them here, but I will tell you now, they look great! I was very happy with the results.

Next, the Sound of ST.

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
The Sounds of The rare ST.

I hope these come out on the internet as they do on my computer. Clear loud and not distorted at all.

First one, Stock mufflers.

http://www.100mpg.us/video/ST1300Stock.wmv

Second, modified stock pipes.

http://www.100mpg.us/video/ST1300 Modified.wmv

Third, OPEN pipes! Hold on to your chair...:eek:

http://www.100mpg.us/video/ST1300OPENpipe.wmv

I welcome all opinions on your favorite sound file.
I tried to make a poll, but it was not an option.
The open pipe gets my heart pumping. I have loved loud cars, bikes and pretty much anything that makes LOUD noises since I was 3! If the open pipes had a straight pipe with no cat and was long enough and tuned somewhat, This would be a great sounding naked bike!

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I like the third one best. Serious small-block snarl!

The modified pipes didn't do it for me, sound wise, but getting rid of the cat is prolly a good thing. Thanks for sharing. Obviously lots of hard work went into this mod.

Keep us posted on gas mileage, nuisance tickets, etc. :)

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
Anyone have Staintunes nearby? New England? Maybe the eastcoast? I would like to get a video, from the same location as these were taken to compare. I would also like to hear them in person.

*EDIT*
I forgot to post the total.

Pipes- $32
Shipping - $40
Welding - $200
Discount for the welding, he didn't like the way the difficult muffler came out, -$50
Tip for the polishing guy - $10
Total - $232

Last edited:

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Well... as far as sound... I LOVE the thrid one... as far as riding the bike long distance... no thanks. I have loud pipes on one of my bikes and it gets very tiring after a while.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
So let's see, the new pipes create more pollution (I think you removed the cat, right?) and make so much noise they're going to annoy everyone around you.

Sounds like a winner to me.:???: (NOT)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Great post & demos! Personally, I like my bike quiet, so I'll probably leave my stock exhaust alone until I have to change them out; but I found it interesting that your bike sounds the same as mine. Since I've yet to run into another ST1300 when it's running, I was curious as to whether all 1300's have that high-pitched engine noise.

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
So let's see, the new pipes create more pollution (I think you removed the cat, right?) and make so much noise they're going to annoy everyone around you.

Sounds like a winner to me.:???: (NOT)
Hey, obviously you didn't read it all. I don't think you listen to the audio either. Try again and then comment. You are wrong on all counts.

The difference between the STOCK pipes and the MODIFIED pipe is almost undetectable! I was disapointed when I first started it up since it was so quiet. It has a different tone, but at 60 MPH, it is so quiet, it sounds stock. My video camera mount broke so I will have to take a week or so to get some video of the bike in motion.

Keep in mind all the videos were taken with the exhaust pointing towards the house, with a "chamber" which is the recessed garage.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have Staintunes I live in New Jersey. Check out the NJSTOC post in the events section you can hear them there. PM me:03biker:

Bike
06 ST
This may be a silly question but why not simply drill a couple of small holes on the underside of the stock pipes?
Has anyone tried this? What kind of sound difference could one expect?

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
This may be a silly question but why not simply drill a couple of small holes on the underside of the stock pipes?
Has anyone tried this? What kind of sound difference could one expect?
That would just sound like an exhaust leak. High pressure blowing through little holes would not make a pleasant sound.

I got the manfrotto mount and took a quick ride around the block.
http://www.100mpg.us/images/st1300/M...TRESTVIDEO.wmv
Not bad video, more engine sound then exhaust sound, it seems very quiet to me.
One more sound clip. Sound

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
I did take a ride on July 4th, but did not check the MPG. I noticed that the popping is less with the modified pipes, and the throttle response with the OPEN pipes was much better, no hesitation at all.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I bought the Stain-tunes several years ago when the price was more reasonable. I hated the Singer sewing machine sound of the stock pipes and chose the Stain-tunes over Two Brothers because they offered the option of the baffle quieter. I leave for work at 5 am, so, to respect my neighbors, I ride with the baffles in... yet I still get the snap, crackle, and pop on deceleration. I could care less about any HP gain as the twist in 2nd gear is enough to scare me! The fit and finish of the Staintunes is first rate with an easy install. Losing 17 lbs. helps too. I went to a recent Harley get-together and was astounded by what really LOUD pipes sound like.

I am happy with my choice and recommend Staintunes for all of those that seek a more aggressive sound without being obnoxious.

John

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I installed Staintunes because I didn't like the discoloration of the stock mufflers. Not only did they improve the looks of the bike, they reduced the heat build-up around my feet and ankles. Plus, they sound great and improved the responsivness of the engine. Mpg remains about the same. They increased the sound level at low speeds, but the difference at highway speeds is hardly noticeable. This info is with the baffles in place. Have not tried removing the baffles. Probably be too loud for my tastes.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I bought the Stain-tunes several years ago when the price was more reasonable. I hated the Singer sewing machine sound of the stock pipes and chose the Stain-tunes over Two Brothers because they offered the option of the baffle quieter. I leave for work at 5 am, so, to respect my neighbors, I ride with the baffles in... yet I still get the snap, crackle, and pop on deceleration. I could care less about any HP gain as the twist in 2nd gear is enough to scare me! The fit and finish of the Staintunes is first rate with an easy install. Losing 17 lbs. helps too. I went to a recent Harley get-together and was astounded by what really LOUD pipes sound like.

I am happy with my choice and recommend Staintunes for all of those that seek a more aggressive sound without being obnoxious.

John
John are you running the Staintunes on an 11 or a 13? I have not noticed any additional popping and crackling with them on my 13. My 1100 however, was a popping, grumbling beast on deceleration, even with the OEM pipes.

I like the second one, methinks 'Misty the ST' would run better with less back pressure (currently I'm running aTurbo Tom fpr -58psi) however I don't want the racket of a loud exhaust--your sound posts are most helpful. I'm not sure though what sound sample # 2 is...just with that stainless screen out or the backing plate behind that also? My understanding is you left the catalytic perverters in place, right?

OP
OP
100MPG

100MPG

Convert
Bike
'09 GoldWing
STOC #
The SS screen was removed and the baffle plate and the cat is still in the pipe.
I like the second one, methinks 'Misty the ST' would run better with less back pressure (currently I'm running aTurbo Tom fpr -58psi) however I don't want the racket of a loud exhaust--your sound posts are most helpful. I'm not sure though what sound sample # 2 is...just with that stainless screen out or the backing plate behind that also? My understanding is you left the catalytic perverters in place, right?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well this is now the third bike I've done this to with the same tools and I LIKE the outcome. (XX and KLX are the others) Seems all mufflers have the same internal construction.

First off on the ST1300 the "Sewing machine" sound is the gear primary drive and the counterbalancers; THAT noise will always be there.

If you decide to do this first take some time to listen to your stock pipes. Remove the bags (they quiet the results) and stand at the side and rev up and down with the engine fully warm. Also stand at the rear and listen.

I found that from the side, the engine noise was louder than the exhaust sound. Just like my XX was.

Since the ST has 2 outlets per muffler you can start slow and work your way up. Punch 1 small hole in each muffler for instance and listen.

Do this with the pipes fully warm, you will punch through like butter.

I start with a rod of all thread 3/16'' thick and 20'' long with a nice sharp point on it.

Using a flashlight run it in one of the exit holes till you hit the baffle plate. It's deep. Now center it in the hole precisely and hit it with a hammer. keep hitting the same spot till you punch through.

Now all you do is move up in diameter, I have 3 rods total, final one is just smaller than the exit hole.

Didn't take me long, pounding and listening till I had all 4 with a same diameter hole through.

Anyone who has/had a V65 Sabre (stock pipes) will love the sound! Noise regs were much less in the 80's. Also much like a VFR.

It's not loud, it's not obnoxious, it's nice.

Now standing at the side, the engine and the exhaust are about the same volume.

Putting the bags back on quiets it even more.

What you are doing is allowing some exhaust gasses a straight shot through the muffler instead of taking a back and forth route to the exit.

Engine seems to rev much quicker, seems much less choked off than before.

Doing this to my XX along with an ignition advancer, and some jetting got me from 135 hp on the dyno to 147 hp.

Top Bottom